Keep pickup covers or remove them?

Pickup Covers?

• Keep 'em clean and shiney!

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • Open 'em up and show their dark side!

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters
I voted to take 'em off. I'm not a big fan of covers. I don't enjoy my sweat tarnishing the covers and don't like polishing them. I also prefer my bridge humbuckers uncovered because they sound more, well..."open". Totally a personal preference though.

imho, keeping the covers on makes it look classier and a lot better. But eschewing covers and showing those naked bobbins is my kinda stuff ;) Plus the newer PRS pickups come with squabbins, so no complains about dust getting in haha :beer:

SWEET guitar! I think it looks great as is. But if she were mine, I'd yank the covers and do the "blackout" routine. Black rings and knobs fo sho!. :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone! "Keep" the covers outnumbers by a 2-1 margin. I was leaning that way anyway. I love open pickups but I am also a sucker for chrome on black. If the covers ever tarnish and start to look bad maybe I will yank them but since this guitar was owned and played by Howard Leese, I think I will keep it as is in honor of him!

HowardCE22_zps66da92f9.jpg

In my opinion, pickup covers scream "vintage guitar". That guitar looks like a modern, face-melting machine to me. :evil: Double-black bobbins with black pickup rings are my suggestion. I've seen zebra bobbins look really good on glossy opaque black guitars, too. I'd also replace the control knobs with black lampshades. Just my opinion.

100% This^^^

Thanks for all the replies everyone! "Keep" the covers outnumbers by a 2-1 margin. I was leaning that way anyway. I love open pickups but I am also a sucker for chrome on black. If the covers ever tarnish and start to look bad maybe I will yank them but since this guitar was owned and played by Howard Leese, I think I will keep it as is in honor of him!

HowardCE22_zps66da92f9.jpg

Nice TRC.

Take covers off and install flame maple rings with lampshade knobs. That would be sweeter than sweet!

Just a note, I heard direct from PRS that the 59/09 covered pups are potted so wouldn't recommend taking the covers off.

I originally had my HFS/Vintage uncovered... I put some metal covers on it, mainly for aesthetical reasons. The guitar looks much better this way.

So, keep 'em!

Back