I HATE Apple Music & going back to CD's

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
[First word is supposed to say 'hate' (note kate) but I was listening to Who You Love by John Mayer - featuring his ex, Katy Hudson - and accidentally typed Kate. Now I can't change the title. Meh.]

Apple cocked-up iTunes with Music. I hate it. Truly. Madly. Deeply. And I am going back to CD's.

Any online CD seller's you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Yeah, this place. He used to be in suburban Chicago but moved to Colorado a bunch of years ago. I used to spend my lunch hour talking tunes with him. Cool guy. Great metal retailer, but has more than that. If I’m buying a CD, I’ll try to get it from the artists on line store. Otherwise, Amazon. I should probably order from Tower Records.

http://www.impulsemusic.com/new/

@]-[@n$0Ma☩!© what do you hate about it? Have you tried one of the other lossless services? Or just not digging the new UI?
First, I refuse to pay a $9.99/month subscription. Second, I want full resolution audio, not MP3's. Third, I don't want to have to be married to Apple for music I purchase. Fourth, the Music app makes it miserable to access files in my existing database - constantly redirecting me to their "Sign up now" banners.

I refuse. F@#k you, Apple. I will not be coerced by manufactured inconveniences.

Last edited:
Amazon but the last CD I bought was in 2018, have succumbed to streaming everything with Amazon HD now, just handier for the whole family of cell phones. I am thinking of giving spotify a go next just for a change.

Amazon is my go-to, but there are several others. I’ve just done orders with Townsend Music in the UK, Newbury Comics in MA. Rhino sells direct, but they pretty much stick to list price. When I can, I like to order from the artist’s site - some have stuff you can’t get elsewhere, and I like to believe they do better that way. I’ve had some nice interactions with artists that way, including Mr. Grissom when his live album was ready just as the pandemic hit.

I use my iPod and iPod Touch for music when I’m in the car, walking or biking, and in the office. Sometimes I’ll stream a purchase through Amazon’s player at home, but if I’m home, my preference - by far - is physical media. If I have double figures in download-only releases, I’d be surprised. If I can’t have physical media, I have to want it pretty badly before I’ll buy a download. And if I’m buying a download, I want lossless if at all possible.

Hell, my vehicle doesn’t even have a CD player. In the rare instance I buy a CD anymore, it’s generally from the artist website. Otherwise, Amazon. I mainly only do that to:

A) support the artist
B) have a high res copy that I’ll rarely ever actually listen to

I’ve said it a bunch of times in similar threads. It’s just too inconvenient most of the time to bother with cd’s. Most of my listening is done while driving. In the late 90’s, I carried tons of cd’s in my truck. Until someone busted out the window and stole over 200 cd’s. They weren’t even visible. I had home recorded stuff, bands I’d been in, local bands I loved. Sh!t that the thieves couldn’t care less about. Crushed me when it was gone and I’ll never hear it again. Yep, I’ll pay the $10/month to Apple to be able to listen to whatever, wherever. I’ll load my bands rough mixes up on my pc and listen thru Apple Music while I drive around. Also to explore things that I don’t know if I’ll like or not. If I find something I like and listen multiple times, I’ll buy it. Are there things about about Apple Music that bother me and piss me off? Sure, but the benefit far outweighs the cost. I’m sure there’s other ways to do everything I want to do, but I get a quality enough product that I can do what I need to do with ease. It always works and isn’t a giant pain in my a$$. I’m not a super Apple fanboy, I can’t bring myself to spend the money on a MacBook or any super high dollar item. My iPhone and iPad work well without being a pain so that’s that. I can play guitar thru my iPhone in a pinch and it doesn’t sound horrible. Doesn’t replace or sound as good as my amps, but it works- anywhere. Back of van en route to gig, hotel room, backstage, wherever. Apple ecosystem can be annoying for certain reasons, but reliability and availability rule.

Sorry for the derail. I was gonna delete it all but I wasted too much time typing it. :D I’m not trying to convince you to change your thought process, just share my experience. Anyway, artist site or Amazon.

Google recently dropped Google Music and replaced it with YouTube Music. Initially I genuinely disliked the shift. There were a number of problems with YouTube Music out of the gates. They seem to be fixing it quickly. I thought about going to Apple Music over it, but I managed to stay away from it. Bummer to hear they are messing up your groove.

First, I refuse to pay a $9.99/month subscription. Second, I want full resolution audio, not MP3's. Third, I don't want to have to be married to Apple for music I purchase. Fourth, the Music app makes it miserable to access files in my existing database - constantly redirecting me to their "Sign up now" banners.

I refuse. F@#k you, Apple. I will not be coerced by manufactured inconveniences.
Shout it loud, brother.

My wife has an Apple Music subscription, which means I do too.

It doesn’t even have this song on it.

I hate Apple.
I hate their deliberate planned obsolescence.
I hate their deliberate lack of compatibility with all other products.
I hate the way their relentless advertising actually interferes with and interrupts you.
I pods sound be renamed I poods because of their sound "quality".
(Not that it matters in a car. Road noise etc.)
They pretty much suck all the way around.
I hate them almost as much as I hate the BeeGees.
(More about that later.)

I buy CDs and rip them to wav files and put them in the phone. They sound really good and I have a backup. F subscription music! CDs off artist sites, or even vinyl, is the way to go for new music.

Although I will say when Primus came out with Desaturating Seven I bought those and the Flac format download. It sounds great!

I’m seeing 3 different versions? Thx for the heads up. Added.

They were all some 90’s sounding remix. At least the last time I checked for it.

It makes me wonder if it’s a publishing thing, like maybe he doesn’t own the original or something?

They were all some 90’s sounding remix. At least the last time I checked for it.

It makes me wonder if it’s a publishing thing, like maybe he doesn’t own the original or something?
I’m sure Taylor Swift isn’t the only one having issues with the rights to her own music.

Back