Just tried an SE Custom 24 Spalted Maple

valv3h

Wow. Tried this earlier in store and I was totally impressed! http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_custom_24_spalted_maple_2018

> Made In Korea! I have an Ibanez SAS32FM and it it was almost perfect! So MIK is a bonus for me.
> Super slick and fast neck! Not too fat, not too thin which I really like
> Action was a bit low for my taste and it was setup with 9s but still sounded very good!
> Feels a bit light for what I was expecting but the workmanship's really stellar!

I'm really GASsing for this! I never had a PRS guitar before and I think this could fit my budget.

Any fans of this? I wasn't able to try the Whammy bar but I notice that the G string keeps on getting out of tune. Maybe just bad setup?

Wish I could get my hands on one, but locally no one stocks anything remotely different from plain vanilla. Probably needs a setup.

Wow. Tried this earlier in store and I was totally impressed! http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_custom_24_spalted_maple_2018

Any fans of this? I wasn't able to try the Whammy bar but I notice that the G string keeps on getting out of tune. Maybe just bad setup?

Yes, I'm a fan of the SE Custom 24s and I think the new ones are really nice. I have an older one in vintage sunburst and a new one in whale blue on the way (the spalted maple was my first choice, but its been out of stock). I also really like the wide/thin (aka pattern/thin) neck. They balance perfectly hanging from a strap (no neck dive or tilt) which was very important to me.

FYI if you want to put on heavier gauge strings you may have to file the nut. Regarding the "G" string problem you noticed, there are threads here about tuning issues and various solutions that are a good read.

You might want to grab it since the SE CU24 spalted maples have been hard to come by (I would point out the tuning issue though and also find out what the return policy is).

Last edited:
Is $720 a good price for brand new piece? Though they only have 1 in store (also th demo) and the dales guy said that it usually takes 2 - 3 months if they order .

I have a 2015 (30th Anniversary) SE Custom 24, and absolutely love it. I bought it used, but might as well been new. I did my own set up, but if you're not comfortable doing it, have the store do it to your specifications. As for price, pay what your wallet will handle, but you may be able to bring them down some if it is a floor model.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but I'd like to read the actual rule(s) and I can't find the info. Can you link to it? Thanks.

4. Dealers, Distributors and Forum Member Sales

The PRS Forum is an information and communication site only. Please do not post items for sale or discuss retail or wholesale pricing of any kind. If you'd like to post a classified ad, there are many established websites and forums that support gear sales.

FYI if you want to put on heavier gauge strings you may have to file the nut. Regarding the "G" string problem you noticed, there are threads here about tuning issues and various solutions that are a good read..

Hmm.. can somebody please eloborate on this part? Do I need to do this if I'm only planning to out a gauge 0.10 strings?

I am interested to hear other's input on this too. I've heard conflicting things about moving to 10s. Some people say no problem at all, some say you need to have the nut modified. I suppose it could very well just depend on your specific guitar.

I'm pretty new to all of this, and would like to try 10s to see if I'd prefer that route, so I plan to do so on my next string change.

I am interested to hear other's input on this too. I've heard conflicting things about moving to 10s. Some people say no problem at all, some say you need to have the nut modified. I suppose it could very well just depend on your specific guitar.

I'm pretty new to all of this, and would like to try 10s to see if I'd prefer that route, so I plan to do so on my next string change.
Let me put in a plug for 9.5s. A little more heft but more slinky than 10s. At the in-between scale of most PRSi it's pretty cool.

Thanks for the idea...I already bought a set of 10s, so will do that 1st.

Back