Just purchased an interesting Singlecut SC 250, opinions?

opnoob

I purchased this guitar while abroad in Korea. It's a brand new "old" stock 2015 model. It has some interesting specs. Brazilian RW fretboard, Brazilian RW headstock veneer, Korina neck, African Ribbon Mahogany body. With an "Artist" top (don't even know what that means in relation to a 10-top), MoP birds with Abalone outlines, Abalone headstock logo, and 57/08 pick ups. Was way too cool to pass up. What do you think this would be worth purchasing brand new in North America? I couldn't find much info on "SC250" models aside from pre-2010 and the Mark Tremonti models. Anyone with any knowledge of this guitar would be appreciated!

Nice guitar. It looks to be a Singlecut Trem model from a Wood Library run. A SC250 would have 4 knobs, a stoptail, and a thicker body. The truss rod cover is the only thing that makes it look like a SC250. Look into SCT and I bet you'll find more info.

The complaint a lot of folks had with the original SCT was the pickups. Obviously not the case with this one.

This one is a little confusing to me. It is a Singlecut Tremolo model, not an SC 250 as the truss rod cover says. It looks to be a wood library guitar, which is better than a 10 top. It has some of the artist pack features since it is a wood library guitar. The truss rod cover is strange to me since it is a SC Trem. PRS does some one off and small runs of things at times that you don't typically see.

Regardless, it is a very nice looking guitar. Congrats on the new axe.

Nice guitar. It looks to be a Singlecut Trem model from a Wood Library run. A SC250 would have 4 knobs, a stoptail, and a thicker body. The truss rod cover is the only thing that makes it look like a SC250. Look into SCT and I bet you'll find more info.

The complaint a lot of folks had with the original SCT was the pickups. Obviously not the case with this one.
Thank you, indeed SCT seems to common. Why does it say SC250 in the truss cover haha. And is this "Artist" top something like a 10 top? Lower or higher grade?

This one is a little confusing to me. It is a Singlecut Tremolo model, not an SC 250 as the truss rod cover says. It looks to be a wood library guitar, which is better than a 10 top. It has some of the artist pack features since it is a wood library guitar. The truss rod cover is strange to me since it is a SC Trem. PRS does some one off and small runs of things at times that you don't typically see.

Regardless, it is a very nice looking guitar. Congrats on the new axe.
That part was confusing me as well. Any idea what the original SC Trems said on the truss cover? I'm assuming maybe they never made any "SCT" covers and just went with SC 250.

That part was confusing me as well. Any idea what the original SC Trems said on the truss cover? I'm assuming maybe they never made any "SCT" covers and just went with SC 250.
I have an SCT but mine is old enough that it is before they started cutting the models into them so mine is blank. I would have to pull it out and look but I think mine has a wooden truss rod cover on it. My SCT is an artist package model. The artist and wood library tops are higher grade than a 10 top.

Sweet, all this makes me even more excited about this guitar. Seems like unique little piece of PRS history. It sounds so damn good. And feels great in the hands, much easier to handle than my Les Paul. What do you think this guitar is worth? Just for kicks.

What do you think this guitar is worth? Just for kicks.
Nice find!

As for "value", that's hard to say. The BRW makes it "special" but impossible to export legally, so it has a slight negative to some buyers.

AFAIK, the SCTs typically go for "normal" core used prices of that same year/vintage (they weren't as popular as CU24s/CU22s, so not as many made, but perhaps not as much demand on the used market for the same reasons), so with the Artist pack upgrade it will be considered more valuable than a 10-top, but not by the amount of the original delta. Look on Reverb, that might help.

Edit: I just took a look - there is one there that is pretty close to yours, spec-wise, located in the UK. The asking price is a bit high, IMHO, but that might be based on the UK market. Shrug.

Last edited:
Nice find!

As for "value", that's hard to say. The BRW makes it "special" but impossible to export legally, so it has a slight negative to some buyers.

AFAIK, the SCTs typically go for "normal" core used prices of that same year/vintage (they weren't as popular as CU24s/CU22s, so not as many made, but perhaps not as much demand on the used market for the same reasons), so with the Artist pack upgrade it will be considered more valuable than a 10-top, but not by the amount of the original delta. Look on Reverb, that might help.
Thanks for your insight! Yeah, I tried to find comparables but couldn't quite find anything similar.

Nice find!

Edit: I just took a look - there is one there that is pretty close to yours, spec-wise, located in the UK. The asking price is a bit high, IMHO, but that might be based on the UK market. Shrug.
Could you link? Because I still don't see it :(

Here it is. Appears to have the normal stock "6" pups:

https://reverb.com/item/59840957-pr...ut-1-piece-top-trans-amber-braz-rosewood-2007

The title says Braz RW, but details say IRW fretboard.
That one is one year newer than mine. That is the first one I have seen with a one piece top on it. That fretboard is definitely Brazilian. That one also has the leather covered case like mine has. That is a really nice guitar and I am not sure I would consider that price really high in this market. You aren't going to find another one like that any time soon.

Gorgeous, one of the prettier PRS SC's I have seen. And given the manufacturer: that is saying something.

However I do not get the korina neck on a mahogany body? (Insert scratch head emoji).

Gorgeous, one of the prettier PRS SC's I have seen. And given the manufacturer: that is saying something.

However I do not get the korina neck on a mahogany body? (Insert scratch head emoji).
Thanks, these are few more pics that I took today. It certainly is an interesting combination of hardware and woods. Is there any reason you mention Korina with Mahogany?

Is there any reason you mention Korina with Mahogany?
I think the poster was just surprised that the body was "still" Mahogany. Usually if you switch to Korina as part of a guitar build, you do both neck and body, to take advantage of the weight relief (which is, AFAIK, the main reason for making the swap, since they look similar enough).

I think the poster was just surprised that the body was "still" Mahogany. Usually if you switch to Korina as part of a guitar build, you do both neck and body, to take advantage of the weight relief (which is, AFAIK, the main reason for making the swap, since they look similar enough).
Ah makes sense.

Back