just purchased a DGT, question about string gauge and tuner knob

darylcrisp

I haven't received the guitar yet, but i saw early on in the specs that it comes with 11's. Anyone own one and use 9's or 10's, if so, any changes in tone or anything else?

I also own a CE24 which is a wonderful instrument. The one and only issue for me, and it may simply be a personal thing, is the rear Tone knob can be hard to pull up at times to split the coil. Its not that the knob is set too hard to move, its simply the shape of the knob and the material its made from and it can be hard to get the right purchase to pull it up-anybody else experience this?
It would work so much better with a different shape(as in mushroom rather than tophat). I may experiment and see if i can mount the knob upside down, i haven't looked at that yet-even if i have to drill it out.

anyone use an aftermarket knob that works better?

thank you
d

I always wondered why any company uses a slick knob on a push pull pot. Something like this seems a no-brainer:

aecg43opxzdhsnamvgi1.jpg

Failing that, my Carvins have a knurled metal knob like this that worked well:

s-l640.jpg

Either would work better if you use them a lot! I can’t help you on the strings, as I don’t own a DGT, but I’d assume any issue could be adjusted with a neck truss tweak, possibly a little intonation adjustment, and obviously a trem adjustment for the lesser pull.

If you get a chance, use the "search" above...there are many good ideas elsewhere (in other threads) on here.

One includes a few of the knobs like above...they're available pretty much everywhere...
another cheaper idea, is doubling up a couple rubber bands around the knobs, to help grip/lift.

People will claim that DGT "just works better" with 11s. There is nothing in the guitar to explain it other than frets. As they are bigger than let say on Custom 24 or 594 if you're a rocker and used to play hard you might have issues with intonation at the beginning (and as we usually make our minds in the first minutes with a guitar it might be it :)) or you might not, it's totally personal. My touch is light and I have zero playability or tone issues with 10s. So in other words I'd say think more about intonation due to bigger frets than string gauge.

I went with my usual 10-46 set on my DGT when I first got it - two years later I've since got to the factory issued equipment 11's - a GHS Nickel Rocker set. I find it's just as easy to play as with the 10's and the voicing has just a pinch more "weight" overall to it - the highs stay clear and articulate but sound just a bit more "rounded" in the top end, and the lows maintain a tight, strong voice. So having found all that out - I just keep the 11's on the guitar.

When I split the pups on my McCarty(s) I don't actually grab the knob and pull. I basically wedge the tip of my finger between the bottom of the knob and the guitar top and "pry" it up.
I had my tech put "Push-Push" pots on my '06 McCarty for switching from Series to Parallel - I have found the Push/Push pots to be more easy to access in the middle of a set instead of having to grab the knob and pull up, especially if its a hot/sweaty kind of gig.

thanks everybody for the info and thoughts.
actually have no photos yet. shop didn't have time to post as i purchased it the day they put it out on their site. its listed as a dark cherry burst, but one of the guys at the shop told me its different than most others they have had with that color(in a good way). said the body was more of an amber with a very slight dark cherry along the front edge, not as much as typical, very dark back. said it played and sounded spectacular.

i like the whale blue/faded blue versions that i've saw, but jumped on this one due to a couple of the guys at the shop telling me it had killer tone and 7.4 lbs(i prefer light guitars). i really like the charcoal cherry burst but haven't saw one in that color for sale. not a lot of DGT's available right now it seems(or other models actually).

i had planned to keep the 11's on it and play them out, never know what works or doesn't unless you try it, but i wondered if anyone had experienced any issues with lighter gauges.

keep you updated when it gets here-with some pics

thanks again
d

Just got a DGT myself, and the jury is still out on keeping the 11's but leaning that way after just an hour or so of playing. I've changed both my 594SC and 408 from 10s to 9s and noticed an appreciable difference (improvement, at least for me) in playability (ease) with no discernible tone difference. I'm noticing the 11s to be a wee bit more work finger-pressure wise, but comparable to 10s on any other guitar. Here is my 2021 Violet Non-10 Top:

https://imgur.com/a/kcS8Zea

https://imgur.com/19M1GCe

https://imgur.com/nVOHzqt

Just got a DGT myself, and the jury is still out on keeping the 11's but leaning that way after just an hour or so of playing. I've changed both my 594SC and 408 from 10s to 9s and noticed an appreciable difference (improvement, at least for me) in playability (ease) with no discernible tone difference. I'm noticing the 11s to be a wee bit more work finger-pressure wise, but comparable to 10s on any other guitar. Here is my 2021 Violet Non-10 Top:

https://imgur.com/a/kcS8Zea

https://imgur.com/19M1GCe

https://imgur.com/nVOHzqt
Hottie! Love the color.

I totally agree with donderom.I guess Grissom “tuned” the pickups with 11s but nothing says you can’t use other strings.I use 9-42 on my DGT and it sounds great.I used 11s and 10s for a long time but changed back to my teenage setup a few years ago.

Welcome to the PRS forum!

When I split the pups on my McCarty(s) I don't actually grab the knob and pull. I basically wedge the tip of my finger between the bottom of the knob and the guitar top and "pry" it up.

I think .011s work great with the DGT if the trem is floating. I love the thicker tones. My fingers beg for .09s after an hour or so, so play whatever you like.

I use 9s on mine. It seemed like I was fighting with it with 10s and 11s. I almost sold it until I tried the 9s. A world of difference for me. The tone is not different to me. It probably could be different at louder volumes splitting the pups, but I do not split them often.

I've used 10's on my DGT since I've owned it and haven't noticed an issue. I love this model so much.

Back