Just played a 1994 Cu24

NBW

It’s the first core model that I felt was as playable as my SE. just a beautiful axe. Satin finished rosewood neck, 10 top in root beer. Sadly I have neither the money nor the skills for such a guitar. Played much better than the other customs I’ve played. The neck profile seemed to be very close to the SE wide/thin.

That’s what it looked like. It was definitely a satin clear finish on the neck and headstock. Really pretty guitar.

...Sadly I have neither the money nor the skills for such a guitar...

I can understand the first impediment, I cannot comprehend the second. That guitar requires no certification of skill to own or play it. The only person who determines your "worthiness" to own a quality instrument is you. If you self-evaluate as never able to achieve some self imposed standard, well, you will never achieve it. Better it is to buy the best instrument you can afford, and work to acquire the skill set that best reflects its qualities. Besides, you'll learn faster with a guitar that impresses you.

If it had any finish on the neck it wasn't rosewood.

Call it motivation. I’m pretty sure it was Rosewood and a 10 top. I think it’s pretty cheap at $2360. I wish I could swing it. All the other rosewood necks I found online were $3K plus.

It either can’t be a 1994 or it’s not a rosewood neck. The first rosewood necks came out in 1996 with the Rosewood Ltd.

Maybe it’s a 2004?

Edit: I know better by now to say “can’t” but it’d be highly unlikely, unless it’s some crazy one-off that nobody’s (or at least I have) ever seen before.

If it had any finish on the neck it wasn't rosewood.

Rosewood Ltd’s actually had finished necks.

Last edited:
I agree with Sergio, but it would be very interesting if there was a one off rosewood in 1994.
If it was, my guess is it would more than likely be finished like the 96 rosewood limiteds.

It was stamped with a 4 not 04, it also had the rotary switch.

It went up on the web site and probably sold already. I can only hope that one day when I have the means, I can find another.

My very first electric guitar was a new PRS McCarty. I sucked then as a player, but was as happy as a clam. Fast forward to now, and I have several core PRS beauties among others, a nice collection of amps and pedals, and a dedicated music room.

Oh yeah, and my playing still sucks. Happily though.

I have become convinced that I want something with 24-08 switching and a pattern thin or better wide/thin profile rosewood neck. Probably with 59/09s. Such a thing probably only exists as a private stock and it makes me quite sad.

There’s something similar on Reverb, wrong neck profile.

PRS USA Private Stock Custom 24-08 - Frostbite Fade
https://reverb.com/item/10669644-pr...bite-fade?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

Not necessarily. You could always find the guitar that matches your desires, and then add the 24/08 switching. I have a Cu22 that used to look like this:

wjNcQVQ.jpg

That now looks like this (on the right):

K1gKNfR.jpg

I was already sending it to the PTC for a refinish, so I had them replace the rotary with a 3 way toggle and add the two mini switches for the splits. This was a couple of years (or 3) ago. It has a 59/09 in the bridge and a 57/08 in the neck. I am also not a fan of finished necks, and prefer RW as well. Best I could do on this one was have them refinish the neck in satin, just like the Holcomb. Nice and smooth/slick.

gaXes4b.jpg

Not necessarily. You could always find the guitar that matches your desires, and then add the 24/08 switching. I have a Cu22 that used to look like this:

wjNcQVQ.jpg

That now looks like this (on the right):

K1gKNfR.jpg

I was already sending it to the PTC for a refinish, so I had them replace the rotary with a 3 way toggle and add the two mini switches for the splits. This was a couple of years (or 3) ago. It has a 59/09 in the bridge and a 57/08 in the neck. I am also not a fan of finished necks, and prefer RW as well. Best I could do on this one was have them refinish the neck in satin, just like the Holcomb. Nice and smooth/slick.

gaXes4b.jpg

If that guitar had a trem I would’ve stolen it from you already.

Back