Just one pickup - (sort of) poll

Threepiece

Hi,

Imagine that, for whatever reason, Paul and company were only allowed to make one pickup. Which would you choose for them to make?

Truth be told I'm pretty confused by their offerings and figure you folks (who know way more than me) might school me. Set your own criteria for choosing - gives us a chance to learn.

Also, thought it would be kinda fun. :)

Thanks all,

3P

Strat neck pickup. Because if you can only have one kind of pickup, what's better than a Strat neck pickup?

Narrow 408. Proven to work great in both neck and bridge positions. Strong output with great clarity. Very useful split/tap wiring that makes it equally useful in humbucker or single coil mode.
Awesome. Honestly I didn't even know what a Narrow 408 was. Great explanation of the benefits. Gotta look it up now and learn the specs - thanks!

This is getting interesting. I figured either the 57/08 would run away with it (since it gets so much love here) or maybe the 85/15 (which I didn't care for but seems to get rave reviews).

Thanks folks! :)

Hmmmm, that IS a tough one. If only ONE type was available, I'd have to go with the Narrow 408 - even though I LOVE the 57/08.

Why?

It's simple. My Paul's Guitar is easily the best all-round guitar I have ever laid my hands on. It does amazing things with the flick of a switch or two. In fact (nd I hope nobody steals my idea, lol), my Private Stock concept (which I haven't priced yet, still weighing wood options) is an SC245 with the PG electronics. I think that would be the raddest guitar in the world for me - could be the only guitar I ever would need to keep (yeah, right....right???).

What can I say, I love my Strat tones! Paul has designed some pretty nice pups though, especially his vintage style bass pups. I like the stock pups in my SC 250 much more than I expected to. The treble is hot as Vegas in August and only really cleans up to a mildly gritty honk, but the bass is sweet as molasses and goes as clean as you could ever want it.

Last edited:
Back