Just Maintainin'!

A while back I bought some "transitional" winged tuners with square-backs that they used for the old Artist series of guitars. One of the tuners was messed up and slips so I put 'em off to the side until I could get a replacement..

So that isn't happening. What I got instead were two spare Schaller wings that I'm hoping to dismantle and swap worm-gears on, if I can.
Otherwise I may just have to go unmatched and use one of these Schallers instead. :(

I tell ya, it's getting harder to find wings in the wild. I have two guitars left (stop tails) without them and when I finish these (for the Gucci Top) all my spare parts will be (mostly) used up.

I'm getting to the point where I won't even be able to look at buying another PRS unless they come with wings already.. Call me a "flat-earther" or a caveman, whatever. I'm Just Maintain' in 1987 over here.

The wingies were such a clever, unique, locking tuner design - I kind of miss the classic look they gave PRS guitars.

I do think the new lockers are easier for novices to use (and I always managed a little too much slippage on the high E and B strings), but the wingies had a cool thing going for them.

NO!

It's a bit sad that your horde has gotten so small. Just when I was thinking how cool they might be on a dark grey westie. I guess I could pillage my SAS.

I still have a few odds and ends to share with desperate buddies but, not whole sets. :(

You should absolutely throw some wings on that West St. it'll make it betterer.

The wingies were such a clever, unique, locking tuner design - I kind of miss the classic look they gave PRS guitars.

I do think the new lockers are easier for novices to use (and I always managed a little too much slippage on the high E and B strings), but the wingies had a cool thing going for them.

The certainly do look dope! Wings also give you a slightly straighter path through the nut that I've found helps if you're an avid trem user, like I tend to be.

I'm not crazy in love with the ratio or gears (not even close to being as smooth as PII/III's are) but agree that they were a bit problematic for novices... Which is too bad. Wings actually kinda taught me how locking tuners are supposed to be used, 'cause then you couldn't wrap a bunch of string around the peg (without looking like a doofus and wondering why your guitar won't stay in tune).

There has been some pipe dream/parlor talk about converted PIII's with wings over the years from shadowy figures that shan't be named:cool:. I'd love to see something become of that. I assume all that would be needed to be done, could be done, with a lathe and a file/grinder.

Last edited:
There has been some pipe dream/parlor talk about converted PIII's with wings over the years from shadowy figures that shan't be named:cool:. I'd love to see something become of that. I assume all that would be needed to be done, could be done, with a lathe and a file/grinder.

It'd be fun to see someone do that, though I'm not sure I'd want to mod mine, after all, they ain't broke, I ain't fixin' 'em! ;)

I will say that despite minor inconvenience of having to use a tool, the PS locking trem really works well, though I will admit I'm not a dive-bomber.

Thought it was about time I revisited this thread. I kinda got a bunch of guitars this past year, and while I should most certainly be content for awhile, I still have this nagging feeling to buy something else. I think sometimes it's just out of boredom (along with some blatant materialism) that compels me to peruse the classified sites so much.

For instance, I'm looking at Singlecut guitars (as you may remember my thread about them what, like two guitar purchase back?) for no reason. I have a pile of double hum bucker guitars that by design, should fill that desire. Hell, I even have a SC guitar that gets barely any play time... Why am I doing this to myself?

I suppose it's the residual GAS sickness, like the last week of the flu where you're just left with the sniffles and an occasional phlegm ball you hack up outta nowhere. I'm so used to looking at guitars for sale, it's second nature, or a compulsion.

I went downstairs to look at my shiny things and was reminded that I still need to fix some grounding issue in my LV Studio, put some strap locks on all the new guitars, and continue trying to love that damn SE CU24. There's a small stack of pickups that need to be swapped in and out of various guitars to achieve contentment, some new wings that need to find a home, a scratchy pot on a CE, and a brass block and Mann saddles that should be installed on my favorite SE... man, this sh!t sounds a lot more time consuming than buying another guitar.

Last edited:
... man, this sh!t sounds a lot more time consuming than buying another guitar.
That is basically my problem - I could go do some "work" improving or fixing or cleaning a guitar, tweaking an amp sound, or even practice a new song. Or I could surf the web, look at the pretty pictures, imagine what it must be like to own that thing, and click "Buy Now" or "Make an Offer"!

That is basically my problem - I could go do some "work" improving or fixing or cleaning a guitar, tweaking an amp sound, or even practice a new song. Or I could surf the web, look at the pretty pictures, imagine what it must be like to own that thing, and click "Buy Now" or "Make an Offer"!

Right? And then you'd have another guitar to improve, fix, and clean.

I should spend all of my browsing/buying time learning how to play. Crap, if I put as much effort into playing as I do procuring I'd be rippin' right now! :oops:

I give up.
I realize that I'm a junkie, and I admit it... fully.
I thought I would truly diminish my GAS pains by buying two things:
1) My P22, because it is versatile as heck. Why would you need another guitar if this one covers all the bases, right?
2) My Kemper (please don't shoot me). How could you use more than "every amp on Earth"?

Yet every freakin' day there I am... Reverb, Ebay, CL, PRS site, lurking, clicking, drooling.
It's pathetic.
But I love it.
Yesterday I was drooling all over a 25th anni amp and cab. And I "need" a piezo axe with a wide/fat neck.
Happily hopeless.:rolleyes:

I should spend all of my browsing/buying time learning how to play. Crap, if I put as much effort into playing as I do procuring I'd be rippin' right now! :oops:
After I picked up my HB SGL I really don't spend much time browsing guitars, just playing..................but I'm still not "rippin".:(

Back