Just Maintainin'!

No, no, no. Deep breaths, Serg. You need the soothing scent of melted resin-core solder. Fire up the Weller and search the parts coffee cans for a 59/09 for that little beast. The SE VB in the neck should be fine, as will be you. :biggrin:

I definitely need to swap my Nag Champa for a smoldering soldering iron! My main problem with it is the neck pup, I've got a GFS double-lipstick in there now and it's got no personality. I know what you're thinkin' "Of course a cheap a$$ GFS is gonna sound like poop!" The funny thing is the things are just too darn smooth, not at all what I was expecting for cheap pups. I need to find something kinda crappy sounding.

I don't really dig the way the pups split either. That, coupled with my distaste for where the blade switch is located, is making me think I may have to dive into my parts drawer and grab an old rotary I've got lying around.... Maybe I'll take your advice and grab the old SE pups. Maybe I'll fire up the oven and melt all the wax out it to make it microphonic. I don't know what I'm gonna do next. A full refin and Dr. Drill-n-Fill may be in order if I can't figure out this guitar... I'm not giving up yet!

I've got the 57/08 I pulled out of the Studio laying around collecting dust. You're welcome to try it out in that mutt if you'd like. Let me know.

Thanks homie! That's really generous of you.

I'm having one of those periodic existential debates. I've got more guitars than I ever thought I'd have, certainly more than I need. And the question becomes do I build on this collection, or do I use it to build or acquire a smaller handful.

Nothing wrong with having a collection! If you enjoy collecting things (and I assume you do) and when you pull 'em out they make you wonder why you haven't played them in a bit, that's a good thing!

This guitar sucks. I hate it. I don't wanna marry it. I like it one day and then want to burn it the next.

I love to make up analogies so I'll say it's like: "A fashion model who's beautiful from the side but when you see them head on... "Damn! You ugly!" or: You're the Godfather of a nephew who's only into Pok-e-man cards and cheating at Halo and camps out at spawn locations and then tells you that "you suck" while you're just hanging on 'cause you feel obligated not to be a d!ck.

namaste. namaste. namaste. Ooohrennngieee.... (Sounds of an SE CU24 getting thrown into a corner)
I hear you -- I go back and forth like every couple days -- I blame the moon phases.

I'm gonna have to admit it: I like new guitars. That seems to have been my M.O. for the past 20 years, and I just seem to chug along that way instead of modding them.

I wish it were otherwise sometimes, but then, too, getting a new something different is probably more exciting for me than modding an older one to get something different.

The troublesome question is why on Earth I seem to crave this variety when in fact I love each of my current guitars tons, and could happily enjoy any one of them with no complaints.

I hear you -- I go back and forth like every couple days -- I blame the moon phases.

I was reading an article awhile back that said men go through mini hormonal cycles everyday rather than every 28 days. It's supposedly later in the evening and earlier in the morning that these imbalances are at their greatest... So looking at what time I posted my response I suppose I was man-struating pretty hard! :eek:

The troublesome question is why on Earth I seem to crave this variety when in fact I love each of my current guitars tons, and could happily enjoy any one of them with no complaints.

I feel ya, it's been something I've been trying to control most of my adult life.

I wish it were otherwise sometimes, but then, too, getting a new something different is probably more exciting for me than modding an older one to get something different.

Very well said. I totally get this too.... the hunt for the next 'perfect' guitar seems to never end...

Very well said. I totally get this too.... the hunt for the next 'perfect' guitar seems to never end...

The weird thing for me is that I'm not even on the hunt for the perfect guitar. I already have several that qualify! I just seem to like the shadings and nuances of different ones more lately than I used to. Or maybe I've just gotten more acquisitive in my old age.

I blame it on the Private Stock program.

In the past, I'd have had no trouble trading in/selling a Core model for every new one I found. Now I can't bear to part with any of them. They're too good. So unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, I seem to have a few "perfect guitars". :confused:

Bangin'! You've got a bunch of amazing guitars (including the only blue guitar in existence that I formally recognize with anything but disdain) to take care of. Glad I had a small part in motivating you a bit.

Wait, you hate blue guitars? My NGD must have been hell for you.

Honestly, I generally don't like blue, either. I'm much more of a red guy. My PRSs are actually the only two blue guitars I own. But I actually think that's why I was drawn to the blue Core - it was something different that I didn't already have in my collection.

The SE was just a cheap 7 string; I didn't really care what color it was.

Wait, you hate blue guitars? My NGD must have been hell for you.

Honestly, I generally don't like blue, either. I'm much more of a red guy. My PRSs are actually the only two blue guitars I own. But I actually think that's why I was drawn to the blue Core - it was something different that I didn't already have in my collection.

The SE was just a cheap 7 string; I didn't really care what color it was.

Nah, that NGD wasn't that bad. Check this thread out for maximum blue Sergio punishment

http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/sergios-i-got-the-blues-thread.15142/

There's a blue original Zach Myers SE for sale in Aus (the triple pickup one), I am very tempted to get it and paint it... I did make a promise to not buy any more guitars for 2 years though...

Ooh! Get it! I'll talk you through it. The SEA/Au/NzSTC needs to get into painting.

So about this maintaining thing. My first PRS has been hanging in my library since I finished building it (the library). When I played it for the first time in a while I noticed the strings needed changing, and the fretboard oiled - twice. I as reminded how easy those wing tuners are to use. If you look close you can see their age, but they work a charm. And it's still a great guitar 20 years later.

I think my Northern Lights guitar is gonna have an awful lot of blue in it. Maybe I'll get one of those Western-style leather jackets for it that the cowboy guitar players use, in case I run into Sergio.

I'm having a "what would serg do" moment, and decide I don't like how it feels. It's just wrong, so very wrong.

So I must find a McCarty with 85/15's, something in Walnut (thanks, Andy), a non-relic'd custom shop strat...

Back