Just Maintainin'!

What's the opposite of maintainin'?
That's where I've been at for a few years...seriously out of control. What's the secret Serge?

Me too. One in the oven and I can't wait for it to be done so I can start planning what I want next.

I have a problem.

What's the opposite of maintainin'?
That's where I've been at for a few years...seriously out of control. What's the secret Serge?

I've gotten the bug much "worse" for a couple of years myself. On the other hand, it feels kinda like not "worse." It feels kinda fun! ;)

That PS acoustic spoiled me forever. The McCarty Singlecut made things even crazier. That CU24 30th PS is so off the charts as a guitar that I don't like even putting it down once I pick it up, the darn thing feels SO good.

My former plan to only get things I absolutely need for the work is now toast. Especially with that 20th PS Anni in the works.

Yes, I've lost it completely.

I've gotten the bug much "worse" for a couple of years myself. On the other hand, it feels kinda like not "worse." It feels kinda fun! ;)

That PS acoustic spoiled me forever. The McCarty Singlecut made things even crazier. That CU24 30th PS is so off the charts as a guitar that I don't like even putting it down once I pick it up, the darn thing feels SO good.

My former plan to only get things I absolutely need for the work is now toast. Especially with that 20th PS Anni in the works.

Yes, I've lost it completely.

You're closing in on the PS for each day of the week club Les...thanks for enabling me.

That's cool Serg, I do miss the old "...on a dime" threads, but it's good to be in that space. I've gone a different route as you know. I'm in a spot where there's a few things that are really on my bucket list so to speak. Not that I probably need to start that in this stage of the game, but it's the only thing that will cure my restlessness. The PS has been in my head for a long time, something that is custom to me that I can't otherwise buy(not just from a looks standpoint). So I'm whittling down the harem for now to acquire a few prime guitars that I really want. I like having extra guitars hanging out, but I can always build those back up over time. It will take some time, but I'm ok with it because I'm really happy with my few "favorites".

You're closing in on the PS for each day of the week club Les...thanks for enabling me.

Ha! I've limited myself to one a year, though. So it'll be a while.

OTOH, it gives me something to look forward to!

First you need to build a "dream/empowered vision board".

That's cool Serg, I do miss the old "...on a dime" threads, but it's good to be in that space.

I miss those too. It's been difficult to maintain when my desire to paint sh!t is so high.

I feel ya Serg. I made a decision to love what I have and to focus more on little tweaks to get them just right.

I did sell all my SE guitars, though. I had (perish the thought) too many guitars sitting around. Cut it down to a versatile stable of 6 keepers. Only two PRS in there because I'm too attached to the others.

I think when you can just be comfortable with the guitar in front of you and not look past it you can really begin to understand the value of the instrument. PRS talks of these being lifetime instruments and so often forum guys and compulsive buyers and sellers don't ever get to the place where they can understand what he means by that. It's a shame for those guys, but Paul isn't wrong.

Good thread

Just noticed this thread. You've motivated me to spend the rest of the day on guitar maintenance tasks today Sergio! Work days are rather light this week, so it's a good time. For some reason, I'm not plagued by existential angst in association with owning too many guitars, so I'm not expecting an emotional epiphany. It's fun though to get everything in order. Here's the to-do list for the afternoon....

1. Pull out the 513. It sat in its case for 6 months or so, and when I pulled it out last, one of the pickup settings is about 1 /10th volume (I forget which pickup...) It went back in the case, and that was about 3 months ago. So, pull it out and reproduce whatever the problem was, see if I can poke about and fix it, and if not, see what's required to send it to PTC (I've always been looking for an excuse to send a guitar there anyway.)

2. My SC Ted, my DG Stoptail and another PRS (I can't remember which) has noisy pots, pickup selectors, or both. Round-em up, clean-em up and cure what's ailing them.

3. Something went wonky on my neck pickup on my vintage Les Paul. For this one, I'll do minimal poking since it's all original and the down side to screwing something up is pretty big. Pack it up and make an appointment with my favorite tech.

4. Re-string my DGT, DG Stoptail, Earth PS, DC Ted. All of which I know need a change. That reminds me, I don't think that I have any 11's on hand for the DGs...so a swing by the music store is in order.

5. Go through the rest of the cases and see who needs a string change. My guess is a half dozen or so...

6. One of the inlays on an R8 has come loose, so secure that back in.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty set on the guitar front and don't see anything new in my future. My last purchase was my Vela. Like Sergio, I can't seem to let go of guitars, and this seems like enough to me. We'll see..

Maybe I can get to the amps later this week... It's sort of nice to begin the new year nice and organized.... Speaking of the new year, I'll probably have to rekindle that "fat guy thread" that was around here a couple of years ago...

Best of luck, Sergio. Nothing wrong with being content.

I think when you can just be comfortable with the guitar in front of you and not look past it you can really begin to understand the value of the instrument. PRS talks of these being lifetime instruments and so often forum guys and compulsive buyers and sellers don't ever get to the place where they can understand what he means by that. It's a shame for those guys, but Paul isn't wrong.

I've found this to be true as well. I've got 2 lifers (CE24 and NF3) that get tons of playing time, cover a lot of ground, and are sufficient for my needs. They're great as they are and I don't expect to modify them any further or sell them for something "better".

But as long as there are forums, there will be new guitars to get. So, I've got a 3rd rotating spot just for fun. My 3rd is currently up for sale, and it's replacement (Akesson) will be arriving this week. The 3rd will get some attention and probably some gigging time, but it'll be gone once something shinier shows up.

Best of both worlds, IMO.

If there's a club I'm thinkin' Alan would have welcomed you!;)

That's the one club Alan isn't a member of..... yet.

Just noticed this thread. You've motivated me to spend the rest of the day on guitar maintenance tasks today Sergio!

Bangin'! You've got a bunch of amazing guitars (including the only blue guitar in existence that I formally recognize with anything but disdain) to take care of. Glad I had a small part in motivating you a bit.

Best of luck, Sergio. Nothing wrong with being content.

Thanks buddy! Emma need all the support I can get!

Okay, back to me.

This guitar sucks. I hate it. I don't wanna marry it. I like it one day and then want to burn it the next.

I love to make up analogies so I'll say it's like: "A fashion model who's beautiful from the side but when you see them head on... "Damn! You ugly!" or: You're the Godfather of a nephew who's only into Pok-e-man cards and cheating at Halo and camps out at spawn locations and then tells you that "you suck" while you're just hanging on 'cause you feel obligated not to be a d!ck.

namaste. namaste. namaste. Ooohrennngieee.... (Sounds of an SE CU24 getting thrown into a corner)

namaste. namaste. namaste. Ooohrennngieee.... (Sounds of an SE CU24 getting thrown into a corner)

No, no, no. Deep breaths, Serg. You need the soothing scent of melted resin-core solder. Fire up the Weller and search the parts coffee cans for a 59/09 for that little beast. The SE VB in the neck should be fine, as will be you. :biggrin:

Okay, back to me.

This guitar sucks. I hate it. I don't wanna marry it. I like it one day and then want to burn it the next.

I love to make up analogies so I'll say it's like: "A fashion model who's beautiful from the side but when you see them head on... "Damn! You ugly!" or: You're the Godfather of a nephew who's only into Pok-e-man cards and cheating at Halo and camps out at spawn locations and then tells you that "you suck" while you're just hanging on 'cause you feel obligated not to be a d!ck.

I've got the 57/08 I pulled out of the Studio laying around collecting dust. You're welcome to try it out in that mutt if you'd like. Let me know.

If there's a club I'm thinkin' Alan would have welcomed you!;)

Like Sergio said, I can't welcome you to a club I ain't in!!!

Like Rob and Vaughn, I've got one cooking. One set up with stuff I want that you just can't buy. I can't wait to get my hands on it. And like those guys, my thoughts immediately turned to what I'd want to do next.

I'm having one of those periodic existential debates. I've got more guitars than I ever thought I'd have, certainly more than I need. And the question becomes do I build on this collection, or do I use it to build or acquire a smaller handful. There are absolutely guitars that don't get as much attention as others. And there are guitars that I've looked at and said, "I can trade or sell this." Then I pull it out and play it, and it comes rushing back why I bought it in the first place. Even worse, there are guitars I've fallen out with, pushed to the side, then picked up and said, "Whoa - why did I ever stop playing this?"

Part of that is just a general "I need to clean up my clutter" feeling. I know I keep too much crap (don't tell my wife!) - multiple copies of transcriptions of songs I might play one of these years, stuff like that. I've got several boxes of magazine articles that I need to sort out and file. I keep telling myself "a bit at a time" so it doesn't get overwhelming, but the last couple years, it just seems like there's nowhere near enough time to get done all I want to get done.

There are far worse problems to have...

I'm too chicken to commit to maintenance only.
I know it's what I SHOULD do, but... ummm... eff that... I thiink...
AAAaaaaaaaagh!
It is best to remain open minded. You never know when a game changer might come along and it woudl be a shame to miss out on it because of some arbitrary commitment.

Back