Just knocked the gloss of my CU24 neck.

Nice. I finally did that to my Korina McCarty a few weeks ago but I did a taper as opposed to a hard line at the headstock and heel. Like yours, the neck feels so much better now. I can’t stand gloss. Now all of my guitars either have had the gloss scratched off or are raw wood.
Pics of taper?

The nice about this is it’s environmentally friendly. No pesky aerosol, just dip the neck into the drum. But be careful to keep a strong grip - if you drop the guitar in, it’s too slippery to pull out!

Hot dog tongs with rubber grippers.

Actually, a “soft, lint free cloth” is recommended. I use Terrycloth beach towels.

I like the way the SE Zach Myers was given a satin neck. Follows the contour of the headstock and heal.

Now I’m thinking about doing this to my DGT. Somebody had already knocked off the finish on the neck of my CE22. And I really like the feel. So, I’m thinking...

Cool. That’s what my taper looks like. I like it.

Sure, I will take some photos after I get it back from the tech... it’s getting pups and locking studs.

I used scotchbrite on the Korina (I was nervous) but I usually use sandpaper, damp rag, and oil.

This is the only pic that I could find of the process I used:

kyKyOW0.jpg

Whoa - double standard much? I guess it’s fine for you to have your guitar fitted with locking studs, but if I tried to get a guitar with locking bimbos, it’d be sexist...

There should be an opportunity for locking studs and locking bimbos to be on the same guitar.

But you know that would never happen.

Cause studs don’t like bimbos and bimbos don’t like studs. Never have. Go figure.

I do this as well.

However, I use 1500 grit sandpaper and then a little 0000 steel wool to finish. The ScotchBrite is pretty scratchy stuff and under the wrong hands may be to aggressive.

You just want to know off the gloss top and really don't need to go deep into the finish.

I did it 2 weeks ago on my Santana II and love the way it feels.

Back