Just knocked the gloss of my CU24 neck.

jds22

I've had this guitar for a few weeks and the only thing I didn't love about it was the glossy neck.
I've done this on less expensive guitars and never batted any eye. However I got squeamish when I thought about doing it the my PRS. Too late now. It feels much better btw.

Thanks, it's super easy.
I used blue masking tape and the green side of a scotch brite sponge. Total time was less than 10mins.
Stroke lengthwise and not into the tape but from on top of the tape and away. That way you don't risk bunching up the edge of the tape.
Also, hardly any pressure is needed so keep that in mind. Use a real light touch.
Wipe it down with a clean rag after and that's it.

Nice. I finally did that to my Korina McCarty a few weeks ago but I did a taper as opposed to a hard line at the headstock and heel. Like yours, the neck feels so much better now. I can’t stand gloss. Now all of my guitars either have had the gloss scratched off or are raw wood.

Nice. I finally did that to my Korina McCarty a few weeks ago but I did a taper as opposed to a hard line at the headstock and heel. Like yours, the neck feels so much better now. I can’t stand gloss. Now all of my guitars either have had the gloss scratched off or are raw wood.

Taper? I didn't think of that. This is my only PRS so maybe on the next one... :D

That just means that you gotta get another one... so you can do the taper!

;)

We need forum t-shirts that read ‘PRS Enablers Unite’. I want a red one.

When I did my SE-7, I just kept going and knocked the gloss off the heel, too. Afterwards I thought, "Hmm, wonder if I should've tapered it..."

I have done the ScotchBrite thing on sticky lacquer necks that used to get all scmutzy feeling and dragged.

Now I just go through 55ga drums of FingerEase drop shipped to the house.

I like the way the SE Zach Myers was given a satin neck. Follows the contour of the headstock and heal.

Now I’m thinking about doing this to my DGT. Somebody had already knocked off the finish on the neck of my CE22. And I really like the feel. So, I’m thinking...

Now I just go through 55ga drums of FingerEase drop shipped to the house.

The nice about this is it’s environmentally friendly. No pesky aerosol, just dip the neck into the drum. But be careful to keep a strong grip - if you drop the guitar in, it’s too slippery to pull out!

Back