Just Installed Holmes Pickups In My McCarty 594

Stephen L Hardy

Just finished putting in a set of Holmes 450/455 pups in and wow, what a nice improvement. I like the stock pups, but they’re a little dark & too polite. The Holmes brightened it up some, opened up the sound & added some nice aggressive chirp. They also ad this uncanny note bloom which is addictive and a vocal, vowel like quality. These turned a good sounding guitar into an outstanding sounding guitar.

In a number of videos on the web comparing the McCarty directly to a Les Paul, the PRS was mentioned as not being as aggressive, or raw sounding as the Gibson. The Holmes significantly changes that & gets it much closer sounding to a good Les Paul.

The Holmes were originally in a Historic R0 Les Paul. The Les Paul sounded better than McCarty, so I pulled them out & put them in the McCarty. With the original Burstbuckers back the Les Paul, the McCarty Kills it now. Glad I went through the effort.

Last edited:
Just finished putting in a set of Holmes 450/455 pups in and wow, what a nice improvement. I like the stock pups, but they’re a little dark & too polite. The Holmes brightened it up some, opened up the sound & added some nice aggressive chirp. They also ad this uncanny note bloom which is addictive and a vocal, vowel like quality. These turned a good sounding guitar into an outstanding sounding guitar.

In a number of videos on the web comparing the McCarty directly to a Les Paul, the PRS was mentioned as not being as aggressive, or raw sounding as the Gibson. The Holmes significantly changes that & gets it much closer sounding to a good Les Paul.

The Holmes were originally in a Historic R0 Les Paul. The Les Paul sounded better than McCarty, so I pulled them out & put them in the McCarty. With the original Burstbuckers back the Les Paul, the McCarty Kills it now. Glad I went through the effort.

Can I have your old 58/15LT pickups?

Back