Just got my Archon

Come on aduayer, everyone else is doing it! lol:beer:

you'are not helping me...lol
just got a DG30 and it's exactly the amp I am looking for. no doubt it will be my main amp. Love the dirty channel on the "H" but the clean not that much. But I don't low why, and I am pretty sure you all know that feeling, that I must have a new amp, so I think the "H" will leave and the Archon will take it's place.

Ok OP, in that pic, you have two of my top three "next amp" candidates (along with the two channel H). So... how do they compare?

I'm also wanting to find out if anyone has played through a Marshall JVM and an Archon that can compare them for me. I can't find either local and was wondering if the Archon is the way to go. I did order the Archon but it won't be ready to ship until mid May and now I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right choice.

I'm also wanting to find out if anyone has played through a Marshall JVM and an Archon that can compare them for me. I can't find either local and was wondering if the Archon is the way to go. I did order the Archon but it won't be ready to ship until mid May and now I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right choice.

Based on playing the JVM and hearing clips of the Archon, you made the right choice.

But then again, I have no idea of your playing style, tastes, or other peculiarities...

I've played through a few JVMs and owned the Satriani JVM for a while. The Archon does heavier tones a lot better for me anyway. Something about the Archon's higher gain voicing is just clearer to me, maybe it's the 6L6s. The JVM is certainly more versatile and if you want lighter crunch tones and more channels, master volumes, etc. the JVM is hard to beat. I really liked the Satch JVM clean and crunch channels but the higher gain tones on the 2 hotter channels weren't that great for me.

Thanks for the input guys, I have had Marshall's in the past and I really like them, but felt I was missing something. I am just going to have to wait for the Archon and I'm sure I'll be blown away!

Excited!!! Just got a call that the Archon came in two weeks earlier than anticipated!!! I should have it by next Wednesday, can't wait.

I will update with a Tone report as soon as I can. I am excited to get it, but wouldn't you know, the day after it's due to arrive I leave town for a week!:violin:

Simple solution -- have them ship it to me! I'll play it for a week, and let you know how it sounds! ;)

13918074508_1083060f95_b.jpg

I've gigged my Archon 4-5 times now and am absolutely loving it. Great high gain, cleans up well with the guitar's volume knob. Takes my Xotic EP Booster well in front. I'd love to have another one to keep at home. Reverb is an effect that's almost a little too taste orientated to put on a high gain amp IMO. Most high amps don't include it, I feel like it often softens the punch and low end on most high gain amps, even when it's turned off.

Congrats, hope you enjoy the Archon!

Dammit, Vaughn - I almost got sucked into my computer screen because of the warp in the time-space continuum you caused by using the same picture in your post and avatar! As it is, I lost a sofa cushion and two Snickers bars - now I'm going to waste away! :eek:

Glad to hear the reviews and tone reports - I have to get my hands on one of these.

Dammit, Vaughn - I almost got sucked into my computer screen because of the warp in the time-space continuum you caused by using the same picture in your post and avatar! As it is, I lost a sofa cushion and two Snickers bars - now I'm going to waste away! :eek:

Glad to hear the reviews and tone reports - I have to get my hands on one of these.
Hahaha! After I posted the pic, I thought it was time for a new avatar and figured I'd give it a shot. Was a pretty nice pic taken by a photographer by a local music rag here called Maximum Ink named Chris. Oddly, he looks a little bit like the bearded version of myself. At that show, people kept going up to him mistaking him for me as it was my first time out clean shaven since last October :D

Well, I can finally say it.... JUST GOT MY ARCHON! It looks awesome, love the smell of new gear right out of the box. Power it up and the tubes have that beautiful glow peeking through the metal mesh on the front cover. The knobs even feel cool, they have a slight resistance to them and you just know that you will be able to dial in your tone!

Did you notice I failed to mention any tone report? Oh, that's because apparently when the Archon and the 2X12 Speaker cab shipped (on the same day, at the same time!) from Sweetwater, Fed Ex thought it would be most cruel to ship the Archon in the most direct, expeditious route and send the Speaker Cab in a different direction all together on a tour of the East Coast, I live in Arizona!!!!:evil:

Now the Speaker Cab may or may not be here tomorrow!

Back