Just got my Archon

ironjoe

New to the forums guys but Ive been a PRS fan for a while. Just got the new Archon in the mail today. I havn't had much time to spend with it, but I absolutely love it. Its such a pleasure to plug into that hi gain channel.

Welcome! Congrats on the Archon, it's just stupidly good. There is no way to describe it other than that.

10007006_10151951111290793_2104879073_n.jpg

Now as far as hearing it, I dont think my iphone mic will do it justice, you will have to wait until I get a good mic. I will say this, its an amp you also "feel" when you play. It definitely pushes the air through my 2x12 in the best way possible.

New to the forum, been a PRS lover for years. I have a Custom 24 and a McCarty Hollow Body 2 20th Anniversary.

Now for the reason I'm here... I have been trying to find an amp and effects combination for years that I can't live without and so far I have not found it. I keep trying new things and fall for it and then usually a year or two down the road I'm looking for the next best thing because I still haven't found it. I have gone through a Marshall JCM900, Roland Bolt 100, now I have a Framus Ruby Riot 2 and I thought that was the one. Then I saw the video on the PRS Archon! I have already ordered the Archon with the Stealth 2X12 Charcoal. Those of you that are playing through the Archon, what are your thoughts? I'm a little confused as to why there is no reverb, but can live without if the amp lives up to what I've heard so far. Unfortunately, there are no Archon's in my local area to plug into and test it out.

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Tony

Last edited:
I'm a little confused as to why there is no reverb, but can live without if the amp lives up to what I've heard so far. Unfortunately, there are no Archon's in my local area to plug into and test it out.

My experience both live and in the studio is that reverb and high gain aren't a great combination. If you find you need it on the clean channel, there are ten zillion good reverb pedals out there.

And it has an effects loop, so you could use a rack piece if you wanted as well.

I usually turn the reverb very low or off even on a clean amp. It just clouds up the sound, IMHO.

Last edited:
My experience both live and in the studio is that reverb and high gain aren't a great combination. If you find you need it on the clean channel, there are ten zillion good reverb pedals out there.

And it has an effects loop, so you could use a rack piece if you wanted as well.

I usually turn the reverb very low or off even on a clean amp. It just clouds up the sound, IMHO.

Thanks!

I am considering either the Archon or the Dual rectifier. I've mostly used combo amps.

Back