Just checking, is this a legit PRS?

seannn

Hi all!

Just getting a used PRS Santana SE as a late christmas self-present.
Just need to check if it's real, I'm 99% convinced it is, just need a 2nd opinion!

x1nJQdH.jpg

fKJ2loL.jpg

Have a Merry belates christmas and Happy New Year, all!

Cheers

Hello and welcome. We cannot see the whole guitar, rear, control cavity, etc, but it looks genuine to me.

LQYQxZx.jpg

OsDUuUK.jpg

Hey man.

Here, upped some images from the seller who took these quick photos of nicks before flying off. Hopefully you can ident the backplate and PRS tuners and come to a better conclusion. Apologies for the blur, I wasn't the photographer :(

Hey dude

There is still little to see but my instinct says if it is a good price (and I mean, real good) then go for it. It is a beater for sure and there's nothing wrong with that. The frets look in need of a polish and possibly it needs a good clean and setup elsewhere. The nut could have been fitted better. Does not look flush with the fretboard edge from this angle. Maybe it is a replacement nut. All nothing to worry about if you are experienced with this work. If you are new to the guitar world then consider the possibility that you might need to take it to a guitar tech to get it playing properly and factor in the cost of this. Is this an online sale?

Last edited:
Yes, this is an online sale!

I'm trading away my 37 y/o Mint OHSC Fender Capistrano Acoustic for this as I already have a carbon fibre (CF) acoustic that is my main, and the Capi's got little use to me now.

The Santana is in 6/10 condition with multiple lacquer dings and one or two veneer wood dings, but nothing structual.

Trade wise, it's my Capistrano, already fully setup, with Elixirs and original hardcase,
for the PRS Santana SE, trem bar, the PRS gigbag, a 1982 Fender Sidekick Bass Amp, and around 90usd top-up.

Should I just the guy to use the 90usd to send the PRS for a set up and polish instead? Or just take it as it is?
I am good in setting acoustics but have not dabbled on electrics on any means.

Cheers

The nut is wonky. I'm just guessing, but I think you can get a better SE somewhere considering the condition of your Fender. But hey that's just my opinion. good luc.k

This is kind of more complex. So how did this begin? You have your mint Fender Capistrano listed for sale someplace and you are offered a beat up SE, an amp, and 90 dollars for it as a means of payment? Or were you purposely looking for a PRS SE Santana model?

The SE in this condition is not worth a lot of money. It could even play great as it is but still not worth so much. If it needs work, and we cannot be certain that it does until you would have it in your hands, then 90 dollars might not cover it.

There is little difference between setting up acoustic or electric guitars. The basic principles are the same but in this instance there is a tremolo to consider and there is more involved. The Sidekick amp series (including bass models) have little resale value. In my opinion you would be taking quite a risk, forfeiting your mint MIJ Capistrano for this lot. Like @Iceman101 says, you can find a better SE considering the condition of your fender elsewhere. That being said, I have bought used guitars online before with worse looking photographs than what have seen here so far and they were fantastic but one or two were not so great.

Everyone here will tell you how great the SE range is (and it is) but we don't like to see anyone caught in a bad deal.

That's the second edition Santana SE from the mid 00's. They're for sale on eBay and Reverb all the time, so with that damage I'd only buy if it's really cheap (like $250 or less) or if you just totally dig it.

@charliefrench
Yes, you can sort of say, payment, or "offsetting" the value of the Capistrano, if you would put.

No, I did not intend or eye the Santana but I would like a PRS. It just came up and why not, try a trade.

Thanks guys, I might not go ahead with the trade now. The guy has a Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop too, also up for trade with the same amp + money topup. Condition is slightly better at 8/10 with little to no dings.
Should I go for that instead? Or just keep digging the used market for a PRS to properly trade my Capistrano off?

Cheers!

I would not trade a known good guitar for that Santana.

I would consider buying it outright, if the price was low enough, as a beater PRS that might need some fixing up (and maybe the nut is fine).

As mentioned, Santana's of that vintage are available on Reverb for remarkably low prices ($300 incl shipping asking price, bargaining possible) for guitars that are in much better shape.

I'd offer $200 max for the one you are looking at.

I have no comment on the Epi LP.

@shinksma

Ah, thank you for the swift reply!

Yup, I'm coming to the same conclusion now.
I'll ask the seller if he'd be willing to increase his nett cash top-up from $100 to $300+. If not, I'll probably hold the Capistrano and use it or trade it for something in better nick.

Cheers buddy, thanks!

No, I did not intend or eye the Santana but I would like a PRS. It just came up and why not, try a trade.

The guy has a Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop too

Epiphone make some great guitars at a super low price for sure. I have an old Epi LP and love it as much as my Gibson models. However, there is something for everyone in the PRS SE range. Single cuts, Double cuts, with or without tremolo. When you compare them to other similarly priced guitars you will appreciate just how great value they are. If you are patient you will find a used SE in great condition really cheap too. It is a buyers market. And now that you are already member here it might be a good idea to work towards buying one, maybe :cool:

I think you could find a better PRS to buy/trade.

If the US market is anything like UK, there are plenty of people who have bought a guitar thinking it’s gonna make them the next Hendrix/Townsend/Lifeson/Young/Van Halen etc. etc. etc. only to realise they’re not and you can swoop on @bodia style and relieve them of their failed attempt!

Happy hunting.

PS keep the Fender, you’ll be glad you did.

I think you could find a better PRS to buy/trade.

If the US market is anything like UK, there are plenty of people who have bought a guitar thinking it’s gonna make them the next Hendrix/Townsend/Lifeson/Young/Van Halen etc. etc. etc. only to realise they’re not and you can swoop on @bodia style and relieve them of their failed attempt!

Happy hunting.

PS keep the Fender, you’ll be glad you did.

Hey now, don't be giving out trade secrets! :p

Back