Just Between Us

I Liked It A Lot! I Also Was Imagining Violins Where The Horns Were. Beautiful Stuff Les!

I Liked It A Lot! I Also Was Imagining Violins Where The Horns Were. Beautiful Stuff Les!
Thats pretty sick man. I was picturing a voyage to outer space.
So gratifying to read these very kind words! I'm still experimenting with the part-writing and the arrangement, but I'm really glad you like it so far, and it gives me a great deal of incentive to keep going.

Decided to snoop around on your website a bit and currently halfway through Persistence of Memory album. Pretty amazing stuff. What type of equipment are you using?

Decided to snoop around on your website a bit and currently halfway through Persistence of Memory album. Pretty amazing stuff. What type of equipment are you using?
I'm glad you like it!

The main synth was a Dave Smith Prophet 12, run through lots of hardware and software processing (even guitar pedals and a Tube Tape Echo), augmented with soft synths like Serum, a few of the XILS Labs instruments, some Softube instruments, the Unfiltered Audio, Oberhausen, and Thorn soft synths as well. Drums are heavily processed and sampled acoustic drums. The orchestral sounding samples are from a variety of orchestral libraries; at the time I was using mostly EastWest Hollywood Orchestra, though I've lately gravitated more to the Spitfire and Orchestral Tools libraries.

There's some electric bass I took in direct with an Avalon U5, and then processed through some Universal Audio plugins, and electric guitar/amps miked up (all that stuff is in the recording area not shown in the pic).

Everything is pretty heavily processed with software and hardware manglers, filters, etc. My workstation setup is laughably simple. There's nothing fancy, but the acoustics are controlled pretty well, and I can hear what I'm doing to be able to write, perform the stuff and mix here.

XVs68Aq.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty clean setup you got there. I really enjoyed the album, it had a good mix of style. My wife dug it too. It would make some great driving music

Pretty clean setup you got there. I really enjoyed the album, it had a good mix of style. My wife dug it too. It would make some great driving music

I'm so glad you both liked it!

If you have Apple Music you can listen to it on your phone and probably sync the phone to your car (assuming you car does that).

The studio is spare, that's for sure; sometimes I marvel at how little hardware I need now.

At one time I had a big analog setup - console; tape machines plus U-matic video all synced via SMPTE time code and machine synchronizers; racks of of analog synths, hardware samplers, and outboard processors. But as time moved on in the 2000s, my industry (scoring to picture) gradually went more and more 'in the box'.

Once postproduction houses could edit video on a computer, and weren't dealing with linear videotape dubs, picture began to change constantly, and music had to chase it, often several times a day. Using anything but a computer to recall sessions at the drop of a hat became impossible.

This is the other side of the room - at least there’s still some analog stuff!

vVuKdv2.jpg

Yes? It's a good piece of gear!
I am interested in one. I would prefer the 100 for the iron. Tell me more about it. I respect your opinion and you also dabble in different tones than I often do so it would be good to hear your thoughts. :)

I am interested in one. I would prefer the 100 for the iron. Tell me more about it. I respect your opinion and you also dabble in different tones than I often do so it would be good to hear your thoughts. :)
The Fillmore is Mesa's "most me" amp since the Tremoverb. I'd call it a hot rodded Tweed amp; it's less traditional than the California Tweed, more rock and roll (but the gain is more moderate than, say, Mark V or Recto gain). I have the 50W version, switchable to 25 Watts.

I really like the amp, enough so that after I had it for awhile I bought NOS GE preamp tubes for it The amp is touch and guitar volume control sensitive, perhaps more so than most previous Mesas I've owned. It doesn't mush out on the bottom end like most vintage style Tweed amps.

This is the intro video for it that caused me to order one; there are four or five players demoing it with different styles. The last two are much higher gain than I'd use the amp, but basically it still sounds darn good.

Back