Journey to Earth - New Score For The Return Voyage

László

Too Many Notes
Having scored my imaginary track, Earth Two, this one's about the return voyage. I know, it's pretty weird to imagine picture when writing music, but that's pretty much how I conceive of music.

Still a work in progress, but might be close to completion. EDIT: New Mix, Retitled "Back to Earth."

https://persistenceofmemory.band/single/24885/back-to-earth

EDIT: Remix is posted below.

Last edited:
OK Les.
I close my eyes and see this:

There has been a very long and very costly battle to defend the planet.
It was a close thing but we were victorious in the end.
The defenders are returning home. (Some of them anyway)
As they come into scanner range they see the damage that has been done.
This piece of music conveys to me the mixture of joy for the victory
and sadness for the damage done that the returning defenders feel,
and the hope that their own loved ones have survived what has come to pass.

I like your music.
It always tells me a story.

OK Les.
I close my eyes and see this:

There has been a very long and very costly battle to defend the planet.
It was a close thing but we were victorious in the end.
The defenders are returning home. (Some of them anyway)
As they come into scanner range they see the damage that has been done.
This piece of music conveys to me the mixture of joy for the victory
and sadness for the damage done that the returning defenders feel,
and the hope that their own loved ones have survived what has come to pass.

I like your music.
It always tells me a story.

Thanks so much!!! I'm so glad it's doing what I hoped - excite the imagination!

I'm still a beginner at orchestral music, but I think I'm starting to get it.

And thanks for the kind words everyone.

I could "see" the story line in my minds eye and "feel" it's movement in my emotions...When's the "flic" gonna be released ? GOOD JOB,Les !

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I mixed the tracks in Logic and then bounced stems into UA Luna for final tweaks in the track above, but I decided to bounce all the tracks into Luna so each track is now treated with a few of Luna's features, and am experimenting to see if I can get things sounding a little better.

Logic's MIDI implementation is more sophisticated for writing, but I like the sound I'm getting in Luna. So we'll see. Maybe I get things sounding better, maybe not.

One day I may even be able to tear myself away and play guitar again! :)

After listening to both versions/mixes consecutively several times... 1-2, 1-2, 1-2.
The Luna mix is not "better" or "worse" but it paints a more hopeful picture.

As the ships get closer to home the scanners are showing more detail and a different picture.
More and more people are coming out of hiding and shelter as they realize the battle is over.
It looks like there are far more survivors on the planet than shown by the initial long distance
scans despite the horrific damage shown by those scans.

The tones in the Luna mix convey a more upbeat "attitude".
It's very subtle but it's there. (To me anyway.)

Les, you once again remind me of why, if I wanted to really MAKE music, I should have kept playing piano so I could have done all those cool synth orchestrations. Very cool!

After listening to both versions/mixes consecutively several times... 1-2, 1-2, 1-2.
The Luna mix is not "better" or "worse" but it paints a more hopeful picture.

As the ships get closer to home the scanners are showing more detail and a different picture.
More and more people are coming out of hiding and shelter as they realize the battle is over.
It looks like there are far more survivors on the planet than shown by the initial long distance
scans despite the horrific damage shown by those scans.

The tones in the Luna mix convey a more upbeat "attitude".
It's very subtle but it's there. (To me anyway.)

Thanks, Tony! Maybe the Luna mix rounds off some of the harsher tones of the Logic mix? I used the tape emulations and different plugins. I think it sounds a little fuller, too. But yeah, the differences are subtle.

Les, you once again remind me of why, if I wanted to really MAKE music, I should have kept playing piano so I could have done all those cool synth orchestrations. Very cool!

Thanks DTR! But you can do this without big piano chops!

A nice thing about orchestral writing is that you don't have to be a good keyboard player - orchestral instruments each only play one note at a time, for the most part. So you can start with, say, Violins I, and then do a harmony with Violins II (or double the part), then do a line for violas, then celli, and then basses. Same with brass and woodwinds, etc.

After spending months working on this stuff (I've been stuck at home), I've begun to realize that it's much easier to weave an interesting tapestry with the orchestra than to be a very good pianist, which is why composers often joke about playing 'composer's piano'.

You can start with a melodic theme, or even a texture, and just get on with the business of writing music. It's not really that complicated. Like anything else, you have to just do it for a while, and suddenly the little light bulb in your head comes on!

The other day I was listening to some Tchaikovsky, whose work has incredibly detailed orchestrations, and his genius has always seemed impenetrable to me. But suddenly I realized that I understood what he was doing, and why he did it. It was a 'moment' for me.

You know how you can listen to a rock record and listen to the guitars, bass, etc., and figure out how to play it by listening? It's harder with orchestral music, but at some point it becomes pretty clear.

Back