Johnny Hiland Model

settecorde76

Hi everybody! I’m Fabrizio from Italy and I’m new in this forum. I’m also new in the PRS family, because I have bought my first PRS a few days ago. It’s a Johnny Hiland Model (discontinued) made in 2008; it’s not only beautiful but also versatile and very good sounding. I’m in love with it! It’s blue with an astonishing maple top.
Please, can you tell more about it? How many were produced and for how many years? Does it have a 10Top or not?
Thank you so much for your support, guys! ;-)

Dang, I just looked up what that model is, and it is nice!

I have no idea whether/how PRS marked these for 10 top grading. For Cu22/Cu24s, etc, it is done by putting a "10" on the back of the headstock in the upper right corner, but that may not be what they did with these.

It looks like these were produced from 2006 through 2009 (or maybe early 2010).

Can you post pictures (link to a photo site like Flickr or Photobucket)?

I just read a posting on another site that had Johnny Hiland's press release statement about how he and PRS parted ways. I suspect that is what happens to many of the artist endorsement models that PRS makes: the artists gets some exposure through PRS, PRS gets some exposure through the artist, and if neither really takes off (either as a result or as pure co-incidence), the endorsement fizzles out...

Thanks guys! It has number 10 on the back of the headstock, so it's a 10Top for sure. Great!! What's the difference between a normal top and a 10Top?
I'll try to post a photo; is possible to post a link from my Facebook page?

I know this story about Hiland's departure from PRS: it wasn't a money issue, he had choose Music Man because he likes Silhouette Guitar very much.
Well...I have this PRS and also a Silhouette with HSS and Floyd; they're both great guitars but, IMHO, the Johnny Hiland is a step higher in quality and sound.

settecorde76, if you use the Insert Image tool, you can get this photo straight into your post, like this:

15234795046_5ceaf5c653_b.jpg

And that is a nice looking top! a "10 top" means the figuring of the maple (flames or quilting) is consistent across the entire body, which usually happens to only about 10% of the time. Thus, your guitar is in the top 10% of the figured tops PRS produces.

A non-10-top might have sections where the flames disappears or is not very pretty. Or might not have much flame at all, but nice grain.

Gorgeous! Congrats!

I always loved what Johnny did with those models - he could make them sound like anything.

Thank you everybody for your compliments and support!
This guitar is rare, especially here in Italy where we can usually find several Custom 22 or 24 or Singlecut. I'm playing guitar since 1993 and I'm a Strat (or Strat-like) lover; I owned Fender, Ibanez, Music Man and I was very doubtful about PRS. I was convinced that they are very good looking but very far from my way of playing guitar. Then, one friend of mine gave me the opportunity to try his Tremonti...and I definitely fell in love with PRS.
So I tried to surf the web in order to search a Johnny Hiland Model (I like maple fretboard, instead of rosewood), and I was lucky to find this one here in Italy. It's in very good condition and it sounds bigger than I expected.
I was also surprised about the playability: it's incredibly easy and comfortable to play! Definitely, the best electric guitar I've ever had in 21 years.

I have also to say that this guitar gave me the opportunity to discover who Johnny Hiland is (I didn't know him before a few weeks ago): he's an incredible guitarist, able to play country, blues and hard rock with great feel and sound. I like him very much and he's inspiring me a lot with his chicken-picking style! ;)

I have also to say that this guitar gave me the opportunity to discover who Johnny Hiland is (I didn't know him before a few weeks ago): he's an incredible guitarist, able to play country, blues and hard rock with great feel and sound. I like him very much and he's inspiring me a lot with his chicken-picking style! ;)

Let's give him a listen... Wish he was still with PRS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back