John McLaughlin and PRS

mark cassidy

Ok, so I'm not going get into the 'best' guitar player thing here but...And I have probably heard no more than maybe 5% of all the jazz guitar players out there so who would I be to even comment on such...But...I have been listening to JM a lot recently and I have to say he is still one of my favorite players. AND...I see that he has been playing a PRS lately...And, I watched a YT thing recently of him playing with a gentleman name of Jimmy Herring and JM was playing a PRS double-necker!! At the minute I am listening to JM with Paco De Lucia and Al De Meola. Anyway and anyhoo, just wanted to give a shoutout to my compatriot and fellow PRS player JM. And...I would like to quote / paraphrase another of my childhood heroes Leonard Cohen (who I'm fairly certainly never did play a PRS:)): 'I said to John McLaughlin, How lonely does it get? John McLaughlin hasn't answered me yet, But I can hear him playing a thousand floors above me in the tower of song.'

I've been a big McLaughlin fan for years. Saw him and Herring on his "Farewell" tour, both playing PRS all night. He was still playing great!

Cool! I have not seen him live in many years (w/ Lifetime in 1970 in the UK, and in Edmonton, I think it was latish eighties) but I did watch a YT of him with Jimmy Herring. Was excellent.

He and Herring played live at PRS’ 30th Anniversary event. They were both utterly incredible.

JM was, if anything, even better than when I first heard him in the 70s. Incredible talent.

..... alone. :p

rnzseHu.gif

He and Herring played live at PRS’ 30th Anniversary event. They were both utterly incredible.

JM was, if anything, even better than when I first heard him in the 70s. Incredible talent.

Right! And yet he feels he's not playing well enough to tour anymore and has stopped! Unbelievable!

It’s odd, really. His idea of “I can’t play as well any more” is my idea of “I could never play 1/10,000 as well, ever.”
Well if he'd just give me a shot, I could easily show him what "not playing very well" really sounds like.

Ya know, i better pass. He might permanently take my guitar away.

I think this was what prompted that tour. Was great at the 30th. I sadly missed that tour.

Back