John Mayer Signature Amp - The J-MOD100

This is a custom made $6,000 amp; it should need nothing on the front end to make it sound 'better'.

Remind me who has carved that pronouncement into stone tablets and handed them down to the people from the side of the holy mountain?

In point of fact, it’s just another opinion. And I have no problem with opinions, but let’s not say what anyone “should” do.

Maybe it’s matter of someone liking what they get from a Klon, and choosing to use it into any amp. Maybe someone wants to hear something different other than what the guitar itself produces as signal. Maybe they want to see if the amp is a good pedal platform. Who knows.

I have some “on all the time” pedals that I use with my PRS CAD amps, and I used others with my $5-6,000 Two-Rocks before getting into PRS amps. I use them with my Private Stocks, and used them back in the day with my SG Special, when I played classic Blackface amps when they were not vintage!

I used them on the beaches, and the landing grounds; I used them in the streets, and in the fields; I used them in the hills. I shall never surrender my pedals!

I don’t do it to make the amps sound better at all. I do it to make the signal going into the amp more to my liking; to accomplish things like cutting bottom end from neck pickups, or goosing the high end with pickups that I play rolled down to lower volume, or when I feel like getting a certain grain to the sound; I use pedals to accommodate the needs of the guitar, or to the room, or to carve out space for other instruments — or for any of a zillion other perfectly legit reasons.

SRV used a tube screamer with his custom-built Dumble Steel String Singer; I’ve seen Robben Ford use pedals with his Dumbles, and the same was true of Bonamassa when he played a number of amps, including Dumbles, Bludotones, vintage (and expensive) Tweed amps, etc.

Grissom uses pedals with his custom-designed DG30 and DG50 amps. Being a good pedal platform is a desirable thing in an amp!

So you can make that rule up for yourself - no one’s telling you otherwise - but actually when it comes to making music, and getting tones, there are no rules.

Last edited:
I've noticed a few places now selling a 4x10 cab to go with this amp instead of the 2x12. Is that just to give people more options for customization, or are they trying to move away from the original 2x12 pairing?

It’s been an option from day one.
When are you getting one? About once a month I consider sending you a PM about my Custom 50, since you need one of those as well. But I figure you're going to get a J-mod.

Rule: Photos or it’s a Mesa Studio 22 o_O:eek:

So, I am thinking you are not quite getting our little “Pics or it’s a...” routine. You see, we like to poke fun by saying something like “or it’s a pink Hello Kitty strat” or “it’s a pink Thomas the Train Uke” or now that we nave some new women here, if it’s one of them, we’ll have to say “pics or it’s a YELLOW HELLO (hey, that rhymes) Kitty Dave Mustang (don’t you DARE use his real name!) non-flying V,” or a “yellow plastic Garfield Uke,” or something like that. (Be careful not to poke fun at groups that Sergio likes though. Ix-nay on the Isco-da alk-ta.

See, when you say “pics or it’s a (insert really cool amp or guitar here) it’s not like we’re really applying the appropriate twist to the screws. So try to think of something you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. Something NO self respecting doctor or lawyer here would play. And not even you or I! Not even SCOTT! Then use that instead.

Sorry guys, it’s my amp and I was trying to be funny.

Naughty me!

I couldn’t think of an amp that wouldn’t upset someone, so I thought if I used mine it would be ok.

My bad:(

I did add a o_O after my comment.

Sorry guys, it’s my amp and I was trying to be funny.

Naughty me!

I couldn’t think of an amp that wouldn’t upset someone, so I thought if I used mine it would be ok.

My bad:(

I did add a o_O after my comment.

It’s all good.

What you’re looking for is : “pics or it’s a Crate”. Nobody cares about hurting Crate owners feelings... although there are a couple good Crate amps...

Rule: Photos or it’s a Mesa Studio 22 o_O:eek:

I believe there aren’t any color/trim options, and they all look precisely alike, but yes, of course I’ll post pics when (or if) it happens.

And clips, which is far more interesting, since it’d seem crazy to buy an amp merely to look at!

This, even though I’ve always special ordered Mesa amps in custom coverings/trim because I’m that lunatic guy who does appreciate a good-looking box! ;)

Yes live images with sound would be even better.

This, even though I’ve always special ordered Mesa amps in custom coverings/trim because I’m that lunatic guy who does appreciate a good-looking box! ;)

Ah “Naughty Les” you’ll be joining me on that step! Bring a guitar we’ll have a jam!

Yes live images with sound would be even better.

Ah “Naughty Les” you’ll be joining me on that step! Bring a guitar we’ll have a jam!

The only person in my family who’s been to Scotland is my son Jamie, who went there as part of a UK tour with his band last year. I’d love to go!

The only person in my family who’s been to Scotland is my son Jamie, who went there as part of a UK tour with his band last year. I’d love to go!
Well there’s accommodation available for you when you do!

What band does he play in?

Back