John Mayer Signature Amp - The J-MOD100

Sounds really good in that video, thanks for posting it!

Definitely a useful demo of the amp.

I need one, I need one not, I need one, I need one not, I need one...

Gee. Out of flower petals. I guess I need one. :)

Sounds really good in that video, thanks for posting it!

Definitely a useful demo of the amp.

I need one, I need one not, I need one, I need one not, I need one...

Gee. Out of flower petals. I guess I need one. :)

Of course you do! Your daisy said so, so it must be!

The lesson here, as with the DG30 and HXDA, is to run the amp as wide open in the power section as possible, then fiddle and twiddle with the front end for maximum overall audio performance.

It is possible they got ripped off and he is waiting for a replacement. A replacement of a sig amp like that is not easily put together. Or they may have gotten damaged, broke, or both.

Is the J-MOD 100 supposed to be PRS' SSS or CR Sig? I'm looking at a couple of amps in that style and am kind of intrigued by the J-MOD, though the clips haven't sold me.

Seems very expensive for what it is and if you're not 100% on it there's countless options out there!

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out... what exactly is it? A completely original circuit or based on something in the Dumble/Two Rock camp?

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out... what exactly is it? A completely original circuit or based on something in the Dumble/Two Rock camp?
Not been able to find much either, but from what I've seen I'm thinking sss, seems to overdrive at reasonable volumes
Not even seen one for sale here in the uk

In the past I had two of Two-Rock's Custom Reverb Sigs, and three Onyx models over a ten year period (I dug experimenting with the new versions as they came out). So, pretty familiar with their tones.

So, what is it? The J-Mod seems to me to be an original circuit. It doesn't sound Dumble or Two-Rock; there isn't that pinched midrange in the overdrive section, and clean, the clips sound warmer. Yet while there are BF Fendery flavors, it isn't really a Fender style amp either. It certainly isn't Marshall or Vox. Or Tweed.

Doug Sewell is a talented amp designer; if he wanted to make a Dumble style amp, he'd do that. Mayer's typical stage rig in his TR era included a Fender plus the TRs (I forget the model he used). So he wasn't all TR/Dumble.

Doug's DG30 is also a pretty unique amp that has influences, but doesn't mimic anything. The J-Mod is kinda the same way, based on what I can see. An amp designed for a very particular player, but one that's probably suited to lots of other players as well.

I still want one, though it's probably going to be a while.

Back