John Mayer Signature Amp - The J-MOD100

Ouch, I guess if you regularly play very large venues it might be worth while
But how many of us do that??

Other than big stages, there are at least a few of us on the forum whose work goes on TV, radio, and films.

The amp isn't meant for the average Joe, quite obviously. Neither is a $5500 Neumann U47 microphone, right? They're meant to be low-production items for professional use.

There isn't a damn thing wrong with that, nor should anyone be insulted by the price tag. If it's too much, walk on by.

Other than big stages, there are at least a few of us on the forum whose work goes on TV, radio, and films.

The amp isn't meant for the average Joe, quite obviously. Neither is a $5500 Neumann U47 microphone, right? They're meant to be low-production items for professional use.

There isn't a damn thing wrong with that, nor should anyone be insulted by the price tag. If it's too much, walk on by.

i agree no ones forcing anyone to buy it if someone is in the position to pick one up good for them, I'm sure it will bring them and those that get to listen to it alot of joy

The only disappointment for me is that I currently have a 32w amp, squashed down -15 db with an attenuator; the J-Mod would be about 8x (if my math is correct) the amount of amp that I can use live. Stupid electronic drums!!! Although I don't have even the slightest bit of ringing in my ears after a show....

I can't believe how many whiners there are at The Gear Page who are complaining about the price. L 7

I've been a car guy all my life. Driven race cars, etc. I don't look at a $350K Italian supercar then go online and complain about how they could price it that way when all it does is take me to work just like my current car, or how the price is "stupid" for a motor and transmission and...."

I could say something that many might find offensive here to tell how I really feel about our "everybody gets a trophy and then grows up thinking the world OWES them everything" society. But I won't. :D

Th only reason i was shocked by the price is because PRS makes good amps, but i did not see them as a company who makes amps worthy of that price tag, it was at first just a shock but i get what they are doing now. Especially when you take into account that they also just released a line of oustanding sounding amps that are very affordable for most peoples budgets, they went above and beyond to present something for everybody this year, and everybody focuses on the J-Mod. Thats human nature though, we obsess over what is out of our reach.

True, and I wasn't busting on your post. But you should see some of the comments at The Gear Page. Guys calling the price (and PRS) "stupid" or saying they are ripping off the public at this price. Just STUPID stuff like that. I almost went in both guns blazing on one guy. I don't like people badmouthing PRS! LOL But I bit my tongue and just asked "what makes it stupid?" and ask how it was that he felt he should have a right to say what the price should be.

And I'm like your earlier post as well.... for that money, I'd buy an Archon and a 594 Single cut! I'd rock the HECK out of that setup, and it would bring me a lifetime of happyness that honestly, the JM amp never could.

Th only reason i was shocked by the price is because PRS makes good amps, but i did not see them as a company who makes amps worthy of that price tag.

Ever played an HXDA, DG30, Original Sewell, 25th Anniversary Amp, Paul's Amp, Dallas, Super Dallas, DG50, or Recording amp, or anything else in their CAD line?

I've owned far more expensive "ooh la la" boutique amps that I didn't like nearly as much.

Th only reason i was shocked by the price is because PRS makes good amps, but i did not see them as a company who makes amps worthy of that price tag

Ever played an HXDA, DG30, Original Sewell, 25th Anniversary Amp, Paul's Amp, Dallas, Super Dallas, DG50, or Recording amp, or anything else in their CAD line?

I see this as a serious marketing issue. I only bought my Archon 100 because I was in the mood to throw down money on an amp I'd never be able to find in the wild. PRS and their distys do a terrible job of promoting the amps. I've never seen anything outside of an Archon 25 in any store, and that was AFTER I bought mine. I was only confident enough to take the plunge after a couple 3rd-party review vids got my GAS juices flowing.

I would agree that I also didn't see PRS as a serious amp company.

I see this as a serious marketing issue. I only bought my Archon 100 because I was in the mood to throw down money on an amp I'd never be able to find in the wild. PRS and their distys do a terrible job of promoting the amps. I've never seen anything outside of an Archon 25 in any store, and that was AFTER I bought mine. I was only confident enough to take the plunge after a couple 3rd-party review vids got my GAS juices flowing.

I would agree that I also didn't see PRS as a serious amp company.

I dont think it is a marketing issue. Alot of folks use their amps with little marketing by PRS. That says something. If you are talking about why the amps are not at GC and the other guitar marts, it is because of buying power by the marts. PRS will not sacrifice quality to meet the demands of the bullies. Yes, this means those stores wont carry PRS amps in inventory and as such they are hard to find. All that is in those stores anyway is marketing crap and standards such as those blackface and tweed things. Who is really going to go in a guitar mart and throw down serious money on something that is somewhat used and full of smudges and cream from someones rock and roll (look at me I can play) dream. No they are going to order it sight unseen from a reputable PRS dealer and get it new, clean and in the box.. At least I have/will anyway. I never played an HXDA in person. I waited two years and never even seen one, much less play it. The I ordered it and it is nice, very nice I have been waiting for this amp awhile and I really want it. The release was exciting. Yes, the price was a punch in the gut. But that is OK. I just have to find a way to make it happen. Private Stock savings get redirected and I wait...

Once you've drunk the PRS kool-aid, sure. But they're not going to sell to nearly as many people without making the gear accessible.

More to the point, Reptilian noted that HE had not understood PRS to be a reputable high-dollar amp company. I have heard/read this opinion from quite a few people. The number one reason given - never seen or heard one of their amps. It is a common belief in my experience that PRS is a guitar company with a kinda-sorta amp line that is not their focus or competency.

Sure, I wouldn't want to buy a $2k or $3k amp after it's been on the floor of a big-box retailer. But had they been on the floor of my small local disty, I would have bought my Archon sooner, and almost certainly would have bought another PRS amp as well.

But they're not going to sell to nearly as many people without making the gear accessible.

Somehow I can't see Paul Smith showing up at his dealers with a gun, and forcing them to carry a certain amount of amps for their floor space. You realize that dealers have to actually place orders for them?

The PRS Way has from the earliest days, been to put guitars in the hands of influential artists. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent as a method for getting the word out is absolutely none of my business; I'll note that it seems to have worked.

When I see artists like the great Tim Pierce do videos with his McCarty Singlecut, with a PRS amp on the amp rack behind him, that's a neat thing; when David Grissom takes the stage, he's got a PRS amp. When the Allman Brothers were still touring, Warren Haynes played PRS amps. And now John Mayer plays them.

These are great, influential players. Whether they influence folks' thinking is a question I can't answer. I bought my amps before I noticed anyone but Grissom playing one.

It's probably a good thing that the Mayer amp is so expensive; it's got people talking.

For me, however, the whole question is moot. I buy what I use in my daily work, and that's good enough. In fact, I don't at all mind that they're not in everyone else's studio. It makes my work sound just that much different. That is NOT a bad thing!

Anyway, you chaps can be Monday morning armchair quarterbacks for PRS' marketing department, and enlighten them. Meantime, I'll just keep on using the amps in connection with making a living! ;)

You know how Porsche makes a handful of uber Porsche models and people see them and think they are cool, and then they go out and buy the Boxster because it's a Porsche that they can afford?

I figure many guitar players will see John Mayer playing a very cool uber PRS amp and then go out and buy one they can afford like the Sonzera.

Back