John Mayer Signature Amp - The J-MOD100

Oh yeah its the best in the business, product demos though...not so much.

They do a nice job, and I have gotten lots of stuff from them for my studio over the years, but when it comes to PRS guitars and amps, the best in the business is Jack Gretz. With Sweetwater, you wait a while for them to get back to you and deal with things. With Jack, there's no wait. Call him, he's on the phone, it's done.

There's something to be said for dealing directly with the guy who owns the store, and has a personal relationship with Paul Smith.

So much hate on this stuff! A few points kept jumping out at me:

1.You're on a PRS forum. Whining about anything being expensive is kind of ridiculous.

2. "$6K for a 100 watt single channel blues amp" Um, no. This is the amp that was built to cover 40 years worth of Dead music. Just like the Super Eagle was.

3. "Why did they make it 100 watts? I don't need that much power." It wasn't built for you. Just like the Super Eagle, they built something very specific for JM's very specific requirements. I'm pretty sure the idea of mass market appeal wasn't a concern during the design process for either of those. They built what JM wanted them to build. Period. Once they had a finished product they decided to make a few and see if anybody wanted them. It's not a rebranded knock off, it's not a dumbed down "signature version." It's the same thing they made for JM. That's going to cost money.

I saw a similar discussion on a bass forum. A company called Fodera built a very unique instrument for one of their artists. He travels a lot so he wanted a bass that fit in an overhead bin. They made a headless, 30.75" scale 5 string tuned E-C with a drop tuner that drops the E to a low B. The thing fits in a standard guitar gig bag. When they released it as a signature model people on Talkbass freaked out because it cost $12K. Lots of comments about what people didn't like about it, how they thought it was a ripoff, "why did they make it like X, why did they do Y, etc." The company responded and basically said "it was made this way because that's what the artist wanted. You may not like or appreciate all the design features, but that's ok because we didn't build it for you. The artist wanted it, and he loves the finished product." Sounds kind of like what I'm seeing here.

I am a bit amazed that people are surprised at the Sticker Price.... Of course it's hi-end ... JM isn't playing at your local bar, he is the guitarist for the Dead and selling out everywhere they go! This is the amp they built for JM and I am going to bet they didn't cut corners and made a perfect amp for what JM needed. If you can pony up the bucks then get good with it, I bet it's an amazing sound and worth ever penny, if you have the pennies. If your like me and can't afford it then why does it bug you?

They will drop in price if it becomes a standard item and there will be used ones from the guys who go " but it doesn't make me play like Mayer" and they sell them for less. I think my thought is JM probably sounds amazing on any amp, so this one is just going to be amazing since it's designed just for him. Don't let it bum you out, If your that great of a player, like JM, then you probably sound as good on a less expensive amp. GAS is a horrible disease we all have... wine taste on a beer budget!

Stop whinning and practice more so your playing over shadows what amp your playing through. I want an HXDA real bad but, I don't expect it to instantly play like JH or DA, but it will have a tone to inspire me to play more and practice more!

Changing the subject entirely...

Has anyone heard John playing Who Did You Think I Was with this amp? Got a clip you can share? I'd really like to hear this amp wide open without even a hint of the Dead and Company settings.

Pretty sure Eddie's Guitars got theirs in stock recently. I could probably talk them into letting my noodle on it for a demo. You know, if you twisted my arm.

(TWISTING)

And if I may be so bold, give her a good run!!!!

The real jam is the Boss HM-2.

I had a Heavy Metal pedal way back in the mid 80s. Not sure what ever happened to it. Loved it though!

Least these boyz coulda done was play something other than sludge on it though. I mean, come on, this pedal came out in the 80s. Lipstick, hairspray and leather pants ruled the day! Let's hear some sleazy stuff!

Last edited:
I was actually considering buying one of these, until yesterday. I enrolled my oldest kid in private school; so I'll basically be buying 2 of these amps every year! And I thought day care was outrageous......

Mayer has played the J-Mod on the first 3 Dead and Company dates, then ditched them for his Dumbleland and Steel String Singer.

It looks like BBP is really on to something here and tracking what's up with the J-Mod rig stage appearances. Thanks~!
I was the nugs.tv line stream each night. So far, the SSS sounds FAR better than the Dumbleland (which was really bright).
I'll give an inperson report after Thursday night

Back