John Mayer Signature Amp - The J-MOD100

Well it's definitely a nice sounding amp. Way beyond my price range.

Now I just have to hope for the surprise return of the CE22 or DC3!

The total is $7,080 for the head and 2x12. We may still have one up for grabs at Righteous Guitars. I can't wait to actually play one!

So you could buy a core line PRS, an Archon 100 with 2x12 or 4x12 cab and still have money left over...yikes.

Should we be worried about the Tremonti signature amp? :confused:

So you could buy a core line PRS, an Archon 100 with 2x12 or 4x12 cab and still have money left over...yikes.

Should we be worried about the Tremonti signature amp? :confused:

Not at all. The 3 major details of his amp (that came from Mark's own mouth via interview) are:

- Voiced like a Bogner Uberschall
- 15 watts
- "Affordable for kids" (to me, that means less than $1000)

This amp came across my facebook feed and I thought "oh neat". JM is a pretty solid musician. A good score for PRS. But, then I heard what the street price is. PRS... WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? You had every opportunity for a home run here. You get one of the biggest names in the music biz to go in on a sig amp with you and you turn it into a cash grab. A one channel amp for 6k? Does that come with Paul personally delivering it to my house, followed by taking me out to dinner at the nicest steak joint in town? You need to look at your competition. For what it is, this might be one of the most expensive amps of all time. The Mesa Petrucci head can be had for $2500 and that thing will practically go and make your coffee for you. Heck, you get get upper echelon Bogners and Diezels for 2 grand less. I don't get it. Furthermore, its a 1 channel 100 watt amp. If it had some kind of multi wattage control scheme, it might broaden its appeal. But, the trend has been going away from 100 watt amps, not toward them.

Very disappointing.

This is not unique to PRS though, every company that hooks up with John Mayer charges an arm and a leg for his gear, if his name is on it you have to know its immediately made as a collectors item piece, like a private stock kind of amp. Perhaps from this there will come a new line of amps that are less pricey down the line, but for now John Mayer is going to continue to pump out signature gear and tell you what its worth.

This is not unique to PRS though, every company that hooks up with John Mayer charges an arm and a leg for his gear, if his name is on it you have to know its immediately made as a collectors item piece, like a private stock kind of amp. Perhaps from this there will come a new line of amps that are less pricey down the line, but for now John Mayer is going to continue to pump out signature gear and tell you what its worth.

Just another line of thought; maybe it's Mayer. Maybe he doesn't want a bajillion people buying stuff with his name on it? Seems counter to most peoples way of thinking, but who knows.

Just another line of thought; maybe it's Mayer. Maybe he doesn't want a bajillion people buying stuff with his name on it? Seems counter to most peoples way of thinking, but who knows.

Absolutely, the common theme is Mayer, he is the reason it is so costly. You watch these PRS videos and they are essentially cheesy sales videos, Mayer is clearly putting forward a sales pitch to people for why this amp should be so expensive. To me the Mayer brand is aimed at making as much money as possible, just like when he started out writing all this corny love song music aimed at young girls, he is a businessman and he charges top dollar wherever he goes.

Absolutely, the common theme is Mayer, he is the reason it is so costly. You watch these PRS videos and they are essentially cheesy sales videos, Mayer is clearly putting forward a sales pitch to people for why this amp should be so expensive. To me the Mayer brand is aimed at making as much money as possible, just like when he started out writing all this corny love song music aimed at young girls, he is a businessman and he charges top dollar wherever he goes.

But you don't make the most money possible by slapping an astronomical price on something. And if you don't want a ton of people buying stuff with your name on it, then don't license your name to go on stuff.

The price of this thing is a joke. It's $1700 more than the next most expensive head on Sweetwater and $1500 more than the most expensive head on Musiciansfriend. $2k more than the most expensive Dr. Z, which are handmade in the US.

I can understand the huge cost associated with private stock guitars. They use rare and expensive materials and require a ton of by-hand craftsmanship by incredibly skilled luthiers. But none of this applies to an amp. Unless of course they're soldering the PCBs with gold instead of typical lead solder...

Of course people can spend whatever they want to spend, but I can't see a reason to buy this at this price aside from just showing that you can.

So, you're saying that if PRS wants big volume, they should pick a more affordable artist for the signature models.... like "The DreamTheaterRules Archon 50!" :D

Settle down folks...Paul has a plan. He always does. There is a target for everything they ever released...this amp is no different. If you don't like this amp at this price rest assured it wasn't designed for you. This amp will sell. Enough to keep PRS and JM happy. The trickle down and possibly the already existing plan)might very well be a more "budget friendly" version of this later on down the line. So don't everyone get your knickers in a bunch and lets see how this all plays out:cool:

Back