John Mayer SE

The strat has better hardware and pickups and isn’t made from a cheap, soft wood like poplar?

the SE SS is a disappointment imho. $899 for a cheaply made Asian import? I think with the specs the classic vibe strat is a far better buy. But obviously Paul knows what he’s doing because the SS is flying off the shelves.
I thought that most educated people were far past the assumption that every Asian made import was “cheaply made.” If you’re not, you’re only oh, 30-40 years behind the curve. Most people know that for years, the Japanese made strats were much better than American made ones. And, it’s stupid to even need to say this, but you can get “Asian made” at any quality level you desire, you just pay more for the better labor. So far, not one report on this guitar indicates anything about it is “cheaply made.” :confused::confused:

Not trying to start a holiday off with a fight, but that post was rather clueless…. o_O

humbly disagree…..once it is sold it is used. It is gross what people ask nowadays for a used guitar, usually new list or higher.

Putting this up for the original price on CL is a win-win for all parties:

The store doesn't have to deal with the costs of a return.
The buyer gets a like new SE Silver Sky without having to wait four months.
The seller gets his money back after the opportunity of trying out the guitar.

I thought that most educated people were far past the assumption that every Asian made import was “cheaply made.” If you’re not, you’re only oh, 30-40 years behind the curve. Most people know that for years, the Japanese made strats were much better than American made ones. And, it’s stupid to even need to say this, but you can get “Asian made” at any quality level you desire, you just pay more for the better labor. So far, not one report on this guitar indicates anything about it is “cheaply made.” :confused::confused:

Not trying to start a holiday off with a fight, but that post was rather clueless…. o_O
Well put. My 62 reissue is a Made in Japan Strat from 1994, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The quality of the SS SE is mind-blowingly good (not to mention how it sounds). "Cheap" is just not a word you could even begin to associate with that guitar.

Well put. My 62 reissue is a Made in Japan Strat from 1994, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The quality of the SS SE is mind-blowingly good (not to mention how it sounds). "Cheap" is just not a word you could even begin to associate with that guitar.

Agreed! I'm still kicking myself for not snatching up the MIJ Strat (and the Bernie) that @bodia was kind enough to offer up to me a couple of years ago.

No doubt the Asian stuff has improved exponentially over the years. Is the SE SS as good as the US model? NO! At least not IMHO anyway. But, to my ears, eyes and wallet, it will be more than adequate, and close enough in the right ways, to snag one myself. Plus, I like being different, and no matter where they come from, I REALLY dig both SS's.

Last edited:

I have a Fender CIJ '62 RI Telecaster that I bought used in Ochanamizubashi the one and only time I visited Japan about twenty years ago. I never took the neck off so I'm not sure what year it is. You can't really trust the serial number stamp. Anyway, it was just over half the cost of my forthcoming PRS SE Silver Sky, delivered. The Japanese Telecaster is my only real "keeper" electric. I'm hoping the same for this SE SS. I sent back a Fender Player Stratocaster last year that had more damage than described by the major retailer (neck damage rather than body damage). Damage aside, I'm counting on this SE being a nicer guitar. Can't wait to find out. I think it may be a few months yet.

Last edited:
I had a cheap ass Squier by Fender import from Japan in the early 90’s that was just awesome. Stupidly I ‘upgraded’ to a ‘better’ guitar. Miss that thing, I played the bejeezus out of it.
I’ve said this before here (I know, I repeat myself a lot) but for many years, the best “strat” I had ever played was an old Tokai that I tried at a music store, that was half the price, and CLEARLY better than the American strat they had (both used) and I actually couldn’t afford the American one and could have afforded the Tokai, but didn’t know anything about it and wasn’t willing to spend money on a cheap Japanese guitar. LOL. I later was the US reseller of MIJ Tokai strats and Tele’s for a couple years and still have a new one in box that I kept to mod (68 Replica. All white of course…).

We should all just bombard him with emails, offering him retail price, minus 30% or so, since it’s used and saying we’ll be over in an hour, cash in hand, to pick it up. And offering bizarre trade deals. :p

I'll offer him a buck fity and a Medium Brown '72 Pinto with tank tracks on it...but I'm negotiable. ;)

Pintos are very safe in accidents.
hqdefault.jpg

Back