John Mayer SE

Would I be wrong for returning my new SS SE? I mean, there’s nothing wrong with it. In fact, there’s everything right with it. Seriously, it sounds fantastic, and plays fantastic, but so does my old 62 reissue (warts and all - it’s like an old pair of jeans you feel so comfortable in.) I’m not sure I can justify keeping the SS SE (although I could probably rationalize it.)

I’m sure someone else would love to get their hands on one now ( instead of waiting 3-6 months) so I think I’ll contact the store tomorrow about returning it.

Am I crazy?

Would I be wrong for returning my new SS SE? I mean, there’s nothing wrong with it. In fact, there’s everything right with it. Seriously, it sounds fantastic, and plays fantastic, but so does my old 62 reissue (warts and all - it’s like an old pair of jeans you feel so comfortable in.) I’m not sure I can justify keeping the SS SE (although I could probably rationalize it.)

I’m sure someone else would love to get their hands on one now ( instead of waiting 3-6 months) so I think I’ll contact the store tomorrow about returning it.

Am I crazy?
Not crazy IMHO.
That said, does it have a different voice?
If not then I can understand the conundrum.

Am I crazy?
No biggie. I have an original Silver Sky and I wouldn't get the SE. I think it's just made for a lower price point. The Silver Sky is my holy grail Strat type guitar. I have a parts strat with Nitro Fender body, Warmoth neck and 69 Fender Custom Shop pickups. It's a good strat but not as good as the Silver Sky (USA made)

Am I crazy?

Not crazy at all. I've been in the same dilemma, but pre purchase. I want to check it out but the last thing I need is another strat style guitar. I can rationalize it but it just puts me further from acquiring another guitar that adds flavor to the arsenal.

Am I crazy?

Not crazy at all, in fact I came to the same conclusion. I just went the other route; I've got my American Professional II Strat on eBay right now. They're not sufficiently different in my eyes to justify keeping both, so I have no judgment for someone else who decided the same thing with his collection.

No biggie. I have an original Silver Sky and I wouldn't get the SE. I think it's just made for a lower price point. The Silver Sky is my holy grail Strat type guitar. I have a parts strat with Nitro Fender body, Warmoth neck and 69 Fender Custom Shop pickups. It's a good strat but not as good as the Silver Sky (USA made)
I really can't fault the SS SE in any way, and can't imagine what a USA-made SS would give me that this SE doesn't. It unfortunately doesn't give me anything significantly different from what I already have. Each of my guitars (Custom, McCarty, SE Hollowbody II, Angelus, Strat, Jazzmaster and Tele) is distinctly different tonally - that's the reason I buy what I buy - but this SS is unfortunately a clear overlap. Anyone is welcome to take it off my hands before it goes back. ;-)

Last edited:
I really can't fault the SS SE in any way, and can't imagine what a USA-made SS would give me that this SE doesn't. It unfortunately doesn't give me anything significantly different from what I already have. Each of my guitars (Custom, McCarty, SE Hollowbody II, Angelus, Strat, Jazzmaster and Tele) is distinctly different tonally - that's the reason I buy what I buy - but this SS is unfortunately a clear overlap. Anyone is welcome to take it off my hands before it goes back. ;-)

The strat has better hardware and pickups and isn’t made from a cheap, soft wood like poplar?

the SE SS is a disappointment imho. $899 for a cheaply made Asian import? I think with the specs the classic vibe strat is a far better buy. But obviously Paul knows what he’s doing because the SS is flying off the shelves.

The strat has better hardware and pickups and isn’t made from a cheap, soft wood like poplar?

the SE SS is a disappointment imho. $899 for a cheaply made Asian import? I think with the specs the classic vibe strat is a far better buy. But obviously Paul knows what he’s doing because the SS is flying off the shelves.
“A cheaply made Asian import”…? And you’re speaking from a position of experience with the guitar and intimate knowledge of their manufacturing processes, of course. Unbelievable.

I think that asking price is not so rapacious. The seller would get his $$ back after sales tax plus maybe $35 unless he's talked down.
That was my listing (and I actually changed it to $900 shortly after posting it on CL.) Pretty much a break even for me - not trying to make any money off it - just hoping to avoid the hassle of shipping it back. But the store is great about returns, and I might just return it to them - will email the store later. I figured someone local in New England would want to grab it. Did get an immediate response, but it involved a trade, which I wasn't interested in.

No disrespect intended DB, I am still steaming from a used Knaggs I saw this morning, prices across the board used are stupid high, and it can’t be from supply chain because tons are available.
It’s simple economics. The market will bear what consumers are willing to pay. As you’ve just illustrated, you’re not willing to pay that price, and assuming others aren’t either, the price will eventually come down.

“A cheaply made Asian import”…? And you’re speaking from a position of experience with the guitar and intimate knowledge of their manufacturing processes, of course. Unbelievable.

There's always one...and it looks like it's this dude at the moment.

He's just trolling again. He's been a member since 2013 has 154 posts and 10 likes. I only read a few of his last posts from 2015 until he just posted a moth or so back. The few I read, were him spewing his negativity or trying to be confrontational.

Shocking, I know.:rolleyes:

I'll never understand trolls or why they get off bashing others choices? Nor do I want to. My guess is they are miserable people that didn't get enough hugs as a kid. But that's just a theory.

From what I saw his opinion clearly wasn't based on facts, and my opinion is the he speaks out of his a$$.

My suggestion to him is, take his non fact based opinion/post and move along to a forum that will put up with it. I don't think I'm alone on this. I'm pretty sure we all agree on this being the PRS FORUM, we have fun here, we learn from each other, care about and support each other. Troll all you like somewhere else dude just not here please.

This is my opinion and it was based on his ridiculous post. Just don't engage him and he'll crawl away sooner or later.

Back