John Mayer SE

May not be very pleasant results. If the reported price is correct, I'm pretty sure they aren't getting choice poplar. Could be a 3 to 4 piece body with not subtle join lines, knots, etc. Probably not a pleasant grain to put a translucent finish with a burst on.
I'm going to remain positive until I'm not.

For now, the Ginger Goddess is buying me one for my birthday later this month (if there are any available by then anyway). She wanted to surprise me by ordering one but she wasn't aware she couldn't order or even pre-order one just yet.

Just think, everybody up in here that knows the GG, will know how far she's come in a measly 4.5 years. This is a VICTORY!! I so feel like William Wallace right now!!! If anyone doesn't know who he is...we can no longer be friends.;)
That's awesome, because I can afford to buy one just with the savings from finally being able to remove the surveillance equipment! Well, that and the psychiatrist I can stop going too, now that I no longer fear your eminent demise!

Those redheads are a handful. But SO worth if, if you can stay alive!

With a bolt on neck refinishing is quite doable. I don’t know if I’d trust myself, but you might be able to find a bored kid working on his auto finishing skills. I personally like metallics.

I painted my kitcaster a Chevy or Dodge metallic blue. I really like it. Flip flop could be cool too.

I am ridiculously excited about this. It's not so much the price I'm into as it is the slightly flatter fretboard radius. Getting something a little flatter and saving money, though? That's just too good to be true. I've got cash literally just waiting for release.

I get that people might want translucent finishes, but I couldn't really care less. I love the various solid choices Paul has released so far, and I'm interested in seeing the new ones in person.

What makes a stratocaster a "Silver Sky" besides John Mayer's signature? What magic mojo does this instrument have? I like John Mayer btw. I saw him play with the Dead and Company this summer. Always so soulful.

That's awesome, because I can afford to buy one just with the savings from finally being able to remove the surveillance equipment! Well, that and the psychiatrist I can stop going too, now that I no longer fear your eminent demise!

Those redheads are a handful. But SO worth if, if you can stay alive!

Don’t forget you’ve still got the licence fee to pay for his tracker!;)

Just like COVID!

Lol.

But if the wood grain/joints truly are lousy, then a refinish to a different solid non-translucent color is not exactly impossible at that point...

Oooh, get some if that flip-flop paint! A "budget price" "Lunar Ice" or "Nebula"!

Did precisely that to my 2019 SS. Sold it a few months later and it lasted a day and I recouped the price of the guitar and refinish, I was shocked but the popularity of the Nebula color scheme was still strong then.
It was initially Dodgem Blue but the finish quality on that one was incredibly lousy for that price point: porous looking and definitely not at all glass like.

If you were to do that to an SE, the refinish is going to be 1/3 or 1/2 the cost of the guitar... so don't expect to be break even down the road if you sell it.

Before:
1IP23wC.jpg

After ( I picked the worst angle though to show the range of colors...):
YB5E312.jpg

WTF is Sire S7....some NASA Satellite to Neptune ?
Youtube "influencers"....oh boy, I'll watch someone else play guitar while I hold mine . You can have the Music is Gate, Guitar Win, Know Your Tone Knob and the cast of others and flush them...

Some may wish "S7" was the name of a space project, like more Earth bound folks making Strat copy guitars ...

Say what you will about the You Tube guys, but they do influence what folks go to stores to play, and some even base purchasing decisions on their exposure .

All manufacturers seem to use them , including PRS (who I'd say uses them pretty effectively) ..

https://sire-usa.com/products/larry-carlton-s7

And some even sell them. Just saying, this Low End "Strat Copy " market ... seems pretty crowded. ..

And this Sire thing, seems a product to be noticed ...

Did precisely that to my 2019 SS. Sold it a few months later and it lasted a day and I recouped the price of the guitar and refinish, I was shocked but the popularity of the Nebula color scheme was still strong then.
It was initially Dodgem Blue but the finish quality on that one was incredibly lousy for that price point: porous looking and definitely not at all glass like.

If you were to do that to an SE, the refinish is going to be 1/3 or 1/2 the cost of the guitar... so don't expect to be break even down the road if you sell it.

Before:
1IP23wC.jpg

After ( I picked the worst angle though to show the range of colors...):
YB5E312.jpg

Ummm… why don’t the grains match on the headstocks or the fret boards if these were the same guitar?
Are you stating that Dodgem Blue was refinished into into Nebula?
Or was Dodgem Blue refished, sold, and the proceeds put twoards a Nebula purchase?
Inquiring minds want to know…

Ummm… why don’t the grains match on the headstocks or the fret boards if these were the same guitar?
Are you stating that Dodgem Blue was refinished into into Nebula?
Or was Dodgem Blue refished, sold, and the proceeds put twoards a Nebula purchase?
Inquiring minds want to know…

Long story simplified somewhat: I had two Dodgem Blue SS.
This must be the picture of the 2nd one the dealer sent to replace the 1st one that had the porous and soft finish (soft enough the gig bag's fabric managed to leave shallow impressions in the finish since it left the factory).
That second one had a worse feeling neck though (noticeably bigger and more asymmetrical) and I decided to keep the 1st one after all, especially since some of the issues with the 1st one had disappeared (the impressions from the gig bag disappeared after leaving it outside the case, the finish remained porous though).

The one I ended up keeping eventually got refinished into a Nebula-like color (2nd pic), it didn't quite have the same exact range of colors (the PRS Nebula color range was slightly wider) but looked very similar.
I did actually also have a 'true' Nebula briefly before refinishing the Dodgem Blue.

Long story simplified somewhat: I had two Dodgem Blue SS.
This must be the picture of the 2nd one the dealer sent to replace the 1st one that had the porous and soft finish (soft enough the gig bag's fabric managed to leave shallow impressions in the finish since it left the factory).
That second one had a worse feeling neck though (noticeably bigger and more asymmetrical) and I decided to keep the 1st one after all, especially since some of the issues with the 1st one had disappeared (the impressions from the gig bag disappeared after leaving it outside the case, the finish remained porous though).

The one I ended up keeping eventually got refinished into a Nebula-like color (2nd pic), it didn't quite have the same exact range of colors (the PRS Nebula color range was slightly wider) but looked very similar.
I did actually also have a 'true' Nebula briefly before refinishing the Dodgem Blue.

Ahh…
What would someone expect to pay for a refinish?
Was a refinish to a Nebula much more than a single color?
Would you know of the price to do a refinish to a 3 color sunburst similar to a Strat?

I have a Nebula and a Lunar Ice, the colors amaze me. I’ve always wanted the sunburst on a Strat or Tele.

Ahh…
What would someone expect to pay for a refinish?
Was a refinish to a Nebula much more than a single color?
Would you know of the price to do a refinish to a 3 color sunburst similar to a Strat?

I have a Nebula and a Lunar Ice, the colors amaze me. I’ve always wanted the sunburst on a Strat or Tele.

Flip flop paints are more expensive and most difficult to apply.
The base/sealer coat on my SS could be re-used and it ended up being much cheaper (30-40%) than a body finished from scratch.

Sunbursts are easy but the price depends on whether the entire thing needs to be stripped or if the sealer coat is re-usable.

Poplar often looks terrible for natural or bright colors though due to its often strong green hue.

But more importantly, whether you are refinishing the Silver Sky USA or SE, it would be incredibly stupid in a manufacturing environment to spend even 1s extra to make the grain pretty for painted guitars.
The translucent Fiore models are the ones where they need to spend time.

You just need to look at the Zach Myers Blue SEs to set expectations right; those are meant to have a natural finish and yet finding one with a good looking back sure takes some effort.
Typical ones are below. There are better looking ones, but there also are a lot of far worse looking ones.

In short: if you try to refinish your SS in a sunburst, be ready for plan B (solid/metallic) if the grain is ugly (which is likely).

ze7o257f0gnl0c4qddo9.jpg

vduaidck4hxdx64vqhjz.jpg

Last edited:
That refinish SS looked great! I really wish they made nebula a permanent color. That would have been probably a best seller. Could have moved thousands with ease.
I wonder if we get a special edition release next week. 2020 gave us nebula. 2021 brought Lunar ice. What’s 2022?

Back