John Mayer SE

For some reason every SE that has a similar Core counterpart the SE has a bigger and wider neck than the core. Me not like that.

For some reason every SE that has a similar Core counterpart the SE has a bigger and wider neck than the core. Me not like that.

Many se are wide thin. My se wide thin necks are a little thinner at the 12th than my core wide thins. At a glance of web specs of 12th fret measurements the SS se neck measurements should be close to SS (not wide thin). The radius is larger on the se 8.5 vs 7.25.

Of course there's always variance between actual measurements and web specs, my thinnest wide thin is a se at .84 and my thickest wide thin is a core at .89.

So much negativity on Facebook. I just don’t get it. It’s just a guitar. Wonder if the neck will feel similar to my S2 necks. That would be nice.

Wait, you found some negativity on Facebook? Better let Zuck know. ;)

Yeah always got to bear in mind that FB will always be a dumpster fire for any public conversation because they specifically optimized to give visibility preference to controversial comments. It's literally designed to elevate trolls. I would put zero stock in the sentiments you see expressed on FB as being representative in any way of the general guitar playing population.

So much negativity on Facebook. I just don’t get it. It’s just a guitar. Wonder if the neck will feel similar to my S2 necks. That would be nice.

Yeah...the wife's on FB but I bailed quite a while ago. Too much negativity especially on the PRS groups. Glad the bad attitudes stay over there (for the most part).
There are a handful of people that are great folks on the PRS FB Page, I was lucky enough to meet and stay in touch with a few of them regularly.

We, as members here, genuinely care for each other and are for me at least...an extended family. We also do a great job of policing ourselves (and each other occasionally) but I think we do exceptionally well handling any troll that tries to bring the hate and or negativity up in here. ;)

From the looks of it...the specs say the carve is close to the same if not very similar to the US Silver Sky I forget the number but IIRC it's a JM635 Carve so I guess it's the same or similar carve as the US model. The radius may make it feel a bit different in the hand, but I really dunno..I just wanna hear one while I play it.:cool:

Playability wise a larger radius is typically easier. This 7.25” is vintage correct. On cheaper fenders (lower Mexican versions) it caused a lot of fretting out and issues with bending on certain models. Typically higher action is required to avoid buzzing. The silver sky core really eliminated that issue. Bridge was smooth. Nuts cut perfectly. And no issues playing.

Playability wise a larger radius is typically easier. This 7.25” is vintage correct. On cheaper fenders (lower Mexican versions) it caused a lot of fretting out and issues with bending on certain models. Typically higher action is required to avoid buzzing. The silver sky core really eliminated that issue. Bridge was smooth. Nuts cut perfectly. And no issues playing.

Its a Shame when experience with 'cheap' instruments ends up affecting opinion about the decisions of a Luthier or Musician. Its like ALL Ceramic Magnet pickups must be 'awful' because of the poor 'ceramic' pickups in cheap guitars, all 7.25" Radius guitars must 'fret out' or require high action and that wasn't due to the nut slots not cut properly and/or the bridge saddles not being set to the correct height/radius...

Yeah...the wife's on FB but I bailed quite a while ago. Too much negativity especially on the PRS groups. Glad the bad attitudes stay over there (for the most part).
There are a handful of people that are great folks on the PRS FB Page, I was lucky enough to meet and stay in touch with a few of them regularly.

We, as members here, genuinely care for each other and are for me at least...an extended family. We also do a great job of policing ourselves (and each other occasionally) but I think we do exceptionally well handling any troll that tries to bring the hate and or negativity up in here. ;)

Couldn't agree more. I have quit FB 2 weeks before Christmas and I won't look back. Last couple of years I was using it only for the marketplace and to talk $#!£ with great guys over TPS group. Most of the other groups are poison, including PRS group sadly.

I love this place tho. I'm still sort of new guy but people are generally friendly and fun

Was really hoping to see a maple fret version.
I prefer mine with metal frets...haha gotcha!:D

Yeah deep inside I wanted a solid maple neck as well. I figure if it does as well as I believe it will...maybe in the future they will orrrr it maybe will only available on the US models. But who really knows?

For now, the Ginger Goddess is buying me one for my birthday later this month (if there are any available by then anyway). She wanted to surprise me by ordering one but she wasn't aware she couldn't order or even pre-order one just yet.

Just think, everybody up in here that knows the GG, will know how far she's come in a measly 4.5 years. This is a VICTORY!! I so feel like William Wallace right now!!! If anyone doesn't know who he is...we can no longer be friends.;)

Well,

There will bunch of Strat type guitars made by Fender USA ,MIM, and their getting really good Squier /Indonesian line ...

Not to mention all the stuff I don't consider or know about ...

But I think the real test, will be an objective "flyoff" between the SE SS and the Sire S7 ...

Have not seen one, but the You Tube influencers are big on the Sire line, and apparently their basses are killin' it

The Sire has rolled fret board edges ,bone nut, locking tuners, pays attention to fret finishing (perhaps moreso than Fender) and may cost hundreds less ...

So I see a crowded track for this ...

PRSHeads will extoll it as they (we) swill the KoolAid while we strum, but I'm not seein a runaway success with this :oops:

I prefer mine with metal frets...haha gotcha!:D

Yeah deep inside I wanted a solid maple neck as well. I figure if it does as well as I believe it will...maybe in the future they will orrrr it maybe will only available on the US models. But who really knows?

For now, the Ginger Goddess is buying me one for my birthday later this month (if there are any available by then anyway). She wanted to surprise me by ordering one but she wasn't aware she couldn't order or even pre-order one just yet.

Just think, everybody up in here that knows the GG, will know how far she's come in a measly 4.5 years. This is a VICTORY!! I so feel like William Wallace right now!!! If anyone doesn't know who he is...we can no longer be friends.;)

Nice. You’re a lucky guy!

What would happen if someone bought a SE Silver Sky and had it refinished in Tobacco Burst?

Asking for a friend.

May not be very pleasant results. If the reported price is correct, I'm pretty sure they aren't getting choice poplar. Could be a 3 to 4 piece body with not subtle join lines, knots, etc. Probably not a pleasant grain to put a translucent finish with a burst on.

Well,

There will bunch of Strat type guitars made by Fender USA ,MIM, and their getting really good Squier /Indonesian line ...

Not to mention all the stuff I don't consider or know about ...

But I think the real test, will be an objective "flyoff" between the SE SS and the Sire S7 ...

Have not seen one, but the You Tube influencers are big on the Sire line, and apparently their basses are killin' it

The Sire has rolled fret board edges ,bone nut, locking tuners, pays attention to fret finishing (perhaps moreso than Fender) and may cost hundreds less ...

So I see a crowded track for this ...

PRSHeads will extoll it as they (we) swill the KoolAid while we strum, but I'm not seein a runaway success with this :oops:

WTF is Sire S7....some NASA Satellite to Neptune ?

Last edited:
Back