John Mayer SE

honestly the release was on par with what I was expecting - cheaper wood, non locking vintage tuners, cheaper bridge (2 pt being a more modern surprise), and cheaper pickups. I really hope they make the pickups easily replaceable with standard fender specs, unlike the silver sky core version. That would really allow the guitar to take off

So much negativity on Facebook. I just don’t get it. It’s just a guitar. Wonder if the neck will feel similar to my S2 necks. That would be nice.
What’s going on there? Reminds me, I haven’t popped in over at the gear page to check the reaction there

It's almost amusing seeing people complain about poplar, for a solid color body.
I'm sure they can recognize the tone against alder/ash in a blind test though.

It's mostly getting a bad rap for being abused by Fender Mexico to make 5-7 pieces bodies.

Leo used whatever was cheap and plentiful; it just happened to be ash and alder back then.
Had he lived in a region where poplar was most plentiful we would see those same folks today complain about import guitars using that 'cheap' alder and ash.

Last edited:
@MooreGuitars sent a semi-cryptic email about having lots of incoming stock on things you might have heard about on social media, implying they have them ready to go (or soon)…
I sent an email @MooreGuitars asking when they'll be available and the reply was "maybe August", now, I don't know if this is a little trick to surprise us by an early release (wishful thinking maybe?), I don't know.

Yeah no hints on the Andertons website that I can find.

Andertons posted a picture of SS SE headstock (the one that I mentioned look like roasted) so they have at least one as I haven't seen the same pic anywhere else

The Captain posted on IG yesterday holding a SS with a quizzical look on his face. Caption said, "Could I tell the difference" or something like that. Adding, make sure you've subscribed to Anderton's YT channel.

if y'all look, there's already an online store that has them up for preorder. whether or not the prices they list will stay the same remains to be seen, but there you go

The Captain posted on IG yesterday holding a SS with a quizzical look on his face. Caption said, "Could I tell the difference" or something like that. Adding, make sure you've subscribed to Anderton's YT channel.

Phil McKnight also made some 'comment' during his Live show that alluded to the fact that any 'concerns' people have, they should not worry and that 'if' he had one, he'd go through it in depth as soon as he could... LOL

How do you get the core crowd to still be willing to choose the core given there is a cheaper alternative, and get SE crowd to still choose the SE, given there is a higher spec alternative.

These guys’ jobs are not easy! :eek:

I think the choice of colours and potentially the 'differences' between the SE and Core, let alone the price difference which would put them in a different market, could be enough.

Those colours are quite unique and if you want a Silver Sky in 'Dragon Fruit' or 'Midnight Rose', then that may determine which one you opt for - assuming that your 'budget' allows you to have that choice.

Other factors, like the Radius (7.25" vs 8.5") may also have some impact on which to choose. I don't know if they both use the same sized fret wire too but if the SE has 'larger' frets as the US version has quite small frets, that could be another reason to 'decide' whether you want the SE, US or maybe 'both'.

Its like saying how do you get the Core Crowd buying a Core Custom 24 when there is an SE, S2 and even Bolt-on CE version. I think it comes down to trying to offer the 'best' guitar for the money they can so that you are not disappointed regardless of how much money you spent. As good as the Cores are, you are not getting 4 or 5x 'more' guitar over the SE's . If the SE SS is around the $800-900, that's not really competing with a $2k+ guitar, its more likely to be competing with all the other 'Strat' guitars in that $500-$1k price.

It has confused me now. I was about to go SE Hollowbody II....then this raised up. I suppose i will have to wait for some reviews (they will probably be very favourable).

Back