John Mayer SE

This is a great observation, and I totally agree.

The stuff coming from the main manufacturer of such guitars has been iffy for the past few years, in fact I've not only liked the USA made Silver Sky better than most of the F brand USA guitars, but even liked the MIM and Squier better than a lot of the MIA stuff. I think quality, consistency, and sound wise, the SE SS will be going up against, and maybe beating, the F stuff costing twice as much. Although the SS has its own identity in the niche of Strat type guitars, in sound and feel, so it's not entirely about one being "better" than the other.

I'm very impressed with the sound of the SE version in the clips I've heard. It might just be the best tonal carry-over from a Maryland made guitar I've heard, hopefully that holds up when I get to play one. The SS sounds to me like it has more meat in the mids and lows than most modern Strats, it has that depth that can be heard in the really good 50's and 60's guitars.

I agree with everything you just said.

I'm gonna blaspheme right now. So look away if this offends.

I've wanted a SSS guitar of some variety since I sold my SS. However, I'm still saving for a DGT, so I couldn't spend SS money, unless I spent a lage chunk the DGT money I've saved so far.

So, I was seriously thinking about the American Pro II, tried one, it played okay "rolled edges" were nice but the pickups sounded thin and it just couldn't hang with my old SS sonically. Also played a player plus, similar feel to the Pro II, which was really nice, but still not as articulate and full as the SS sound wise.

I told my wife I'd probably want the Pro II and I would just slap some different pickups in it later. Call it fate or whatever, but just before she pulled the trigger for my birthday present. BOOM!! The SS SE was teased, I called her at work and told her to ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!

I was a little nervous until I heard the demos, after that it was just a question of what color I was gonna order.

Bottom line, despite the SE being an import guitar, it will be hard to beat even with all the other S types currently available (even some US models). I've said it before and I believe it, the PRS SE line will always outshine similar guitars on the market. I think the only issue PRS will have with the SS SE will be supplying the demand. I'll say it again...PRS is gonna need a bigger boat!

Last edited:
I told my wife I'd probably want the Pro II and I would just slap some different pickups in it later. Call it fate or whatever, but just before she pulled the trigger for my birthday present. BOOM!! The SS SE was teased, I called her at work and told her to ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!

You better hope that she wasn't going to surprise you with something else for your birthday! :eek:

The color was as advertised (whew!)
c0yi5f3.jpg

I hereby name her "Captcha" :D. She'll fit in quite nicely in the neighborhood:
DeQ1IAf.jpg
Just curious what you mean by as advertised? Is it as blue as you were expecting or as gray? :)

Is there any flake in the color? Hard to tell if any of them have a metallic finish or if they are solid.

Great looking guitar! I hope the have mine in hands soon!

Just curious what you mean by as advertised? Is it as blue as you were expecting or as gray? :)

Is there any flake in the color? Hard to tell if any of them have a metallic finish or if they are solid.

Great looking guitar! I hope the have mine in hands soon!
"...as advertised" - meaning the dull (in a good way) gray/blue I was hoping for. In the pics I posted of mine that I received yesterday, the color is exactly like what's shown on the PRS website (and other web stores.)

No flake at all in the color - solid.

Hi Folks - longtime lurker / new member....

Ordered a Stone Blue from GC on 11th. None in stock by the time I ordered so was prepared for a long wait, especially given that blue is likely to be the most popular. Imagine my surprise when I received tracking info a short time ago....!

Davy

Hi Folks - longtime lurker / new member....

Ordered a Stone Blue from GC on 11th. None in stock by the time I ordered so was prepared for a long wait, especially given that blue is likely to be the most popular. Imagine my surprise when I received tracking info a short time ago....!

Davy

Congrats man! Welcome to the forum!

I had the unexpected chance to play one of these today and I left pretty impressed. The neck felt great and the pickups were really balanced. Unfortunately I figured out that Evergreen is not the color for me so I'll be waiting for a different finish.

The SS SE didn't feel, look, or sound like it was made to hit a lower price point. It was just a great Strat style guitar.

I had the unexpected chance to play one of these today and I left pretty impressed. The neck felt great and the pickups were really balanced. Unfortunately I figured out that Evergreen is not the color for me so I'll be waiting for a different finish.

The SS SE didn't feel, look, or sound like it was made to hit a lower price point. It was just a great Strat style guitar.

Did you go to Dave’s in Madison? I’d love to play one.

Speaking of places to demo one. I popped jn CME and they do not have one. I wishfully half expected them to have one but no luck.. Also a swing and a miss at the GC on Halsted.

The Dragon Fruit finish is amazing. I was afraid it'd be too pink but it's a nice dark color. Really lovely. The 8.5" radius is not too round for me, even as I think the 7.25" USA model might still be. Sounds great. The pickups aren't too hot, and they're very well balanced across the whole of the five-way switch right out of the box. Pickup covers are a little lighter than the pickguard but you've got to look for it. The naked neck feels almost UNFINISHED compared to the satin necks on my CE24 Semi-hollows (see my forum avatar). It's definitely a keeper, but I'd be concerned about eventually the oils in my hands staining the wood. That might be COMPLETELY unfounded, though.

ZmFsu2s.jpg

The Dragon Fruit finish is amazing. I was afraid it'd be too pink but it's a nice dark color. Really lovely. The 8.5" radius is not too round for me, even as I think the 7.25" USA model might still be. Sounds great. The pickups aren't too hot, and they're very well balanced across the whole of the five-way switch right out of the box. Pickup covers are a little lighter than the pickguard but you've got to look for it. The naked neck feels almost UNFINISHED compared to the satin necks on my CE24 Semi-hollows (see my forum avatar). It's definitely a keeper, but I'd be concerned about eventually the oils in my hands staining the wood. That might be COMPLETELY unfounded, though.

ZmFsu2s.jpg
I like it, congrats!

Back