John Mayer PRS S Type

I'm not a fan of the reverse headstock. Given that the regular prs headstock is almost symmetrical it doesn't look interesting, it just looks wrong. If they had come up with a 6-in line type it might have looked better reversed. But then maybe not since the "reverse" headstock is almost cliche' now. Or maybe I'm just having one of those days where I don't like anything. I think I need a donut.

My guess is that the headstock design actually has function in mind. It's elongated somewhat, adding a bit more resonance and sustain and possibly enabling some Fender style behind the nut tricks that you can't really pull off on the usual symmetrical headstock. The staggered tuner positions appear to allow the strings to pass even straighter over the nut than the symmetrical design. It looks to me like the chief goal was to stretch the headstock out a ways without needing either a sharp tilt-back angle or treble string retainers. Being a big fan of the PRS vibrato bridge and the "unobtainium" nut, I'm personally more concerned about how those two changes affect it than the headstock. Vintage-style open bobbin pickups would do more to deliver a vintage sound than either the bridge or the nut, so why mess with one of the most functional bridge-nut combos ever devised?

six in line may look terribly wrong: Dan Spitz
:eek:
The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-on-a-PRS-Spitz-2-e1414179756170.jpg

well... too close from the strat, like for this color. A tribute to Fender Stratocaster ?
I prefer when PRS make their own PRS.

Phillip Mcknight just had Paul on live and it was great as it always is when Paul is live. He said a few things about a PRS Strat, and spoke about his problem with single coil guitars is getting to signal to noise ratio right, so that the hum is not louder than the guitar itself. He did refer to prototypes that players have been showing off as sneak peeks at upcoming stuff, so just from that it seems very much they will be available to us eventually.

Did anyone else notice or think the upper horn shape looks slightly different between the two guitars? Could they still be developing the overall body shape? Or is this just the camera angle?

The lower horn extended cutaway looks great and sets it apart from just another strat copy. The lack of trc does seem to hint at the original strat and ease of access the design gave in getting the truss wrench in without any fuss.

Back