Joe Walsh Signature???

Ehh... Joe sounds like he’s drunk AF in that video.

No judgment.

Joe's been sounding like that for decades and sober....I think it's just "him" (or the aftermath of living it up at the Hotel California for earlier decades).
Good for Joe and Paul...seems like a very niche Signature though.

Yeah, I think that's just like, normal sober-Joe (as "normal" as Mr. Walsh could ever be--and I wouldn't want him to change one bit). I've seen a lot of his videos lately (from the Dr. Z amps end of things, where I can also be found lurking) and this seems like the same old Joe as of late. Which makes me think... it's too bad Paul didn't let him plug that guitar into his Signature Z-amp or any of the others that he's tended to use lately.

Beautiful guitar. Coming from a guy who’s owned and played classic bursts since before they were classic, it’s a feather in Paul’s cap to have him so completely happy with it. Well done, PRS.

Yes--this is HUGE for Paul, I think. Joe is a R'n'R hall of famer, a legend, and as big of a deal as Frampton or Santana. Wow! Score a big win for PRS getting Joe Walsh's public approval.

I use SS frets. $500 to refret with stainless. Cheaper than the upcharge on a new guitar with SS.

I'm sure there's "luthiers" out there who would do it for $100. But not everybody has a tech who they are 100% certain is going to do a job as good as the PRS factory (or better), and it also sucks to buy a brand new guitar and immediately ship it to a tech.

While the guitar isn't for me for so many reasons, it's brilliant marketing to have Joe come out and basically say the Les Paul's he has been playing are crap (not that it's necessarily true) :D

I love PRS, but this guitar makes no sense to me. Its almost exactly the same guitar as a regular 594, but supposedly like $6,000+. Why not just buy a regular 594? The only difference I can tell is the headstock and supposedly the frets, but that doesn't warrant the extra charge.

Good marketing move. A higher price limited run with real signatures? Yeah I can see that selling out. I wonder if it will attract any LP guys over to the PRS world.

I love PRS, but this guitar makes no sense to me. Its almost exactly the same guitar as a regular 594, but supposedly like $6,000+. Why not just buy a regular 594? The only difference I can tell is the headstock and supposedly the frets, but that doesn't warrant the extra charge.

I really think it's just brilliant marketing.

You forgot the 'cracking lacquer' which has a good chance to already be checked by the time it arrives at your door. That may be a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for :p.

You forgot the 'cracking lacquer' which, if it's just like the Paul's 85, means the guitar has a good chance to already be checked by the time it arrives are your door. That may be a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for :p.

Isn't that the same lacquer on the 2020 and newer 594's though? My 2020 has the nitro finish which I thought was the same effect?

I'm sure there's "luthiers" out there who would do it for $100. But not everybody has a tech who they are 100% certain is going to do a job as good as the PRS factory (or better), and it also sucks to buy a brand new guitar and immediately ship it to a tech.

There are plenty of luthiers who do top notch fret replacements.

Isn't that the same lacquer on the 2020 and newer 594's though? My 2020 has the nitro finish which I thought was the same effect?

No. The modern nitro they use on PS guitars (and Core since 2020) is very crack resistant.
So when PRS specifically lists 'cracking' nitro on the product page they do mean the vintage style lacquer that does crack very easily which is an option when spec'ing a Private Stock guitar.

You forgot the signed backplate, duh.

No. The modern nitro they use on PS guitars (and Core since 2020) is very crack resistant.
So when PRS specifically lists 'cracking' nitro on the product page they do mean the vintage style lacquer that does crack very easily which is an option when spec'ing a Private Stock guitar.
They mean it's top-notch, in a British way.

maxresdefault.jpg

That is pounds. So $10k

The standard finish on the Core guitars (and currently and previously on Private Stock) is a thin layer of nitro over a cellulose acrylic base coat. So the base coat is acrylic, which won't allow enough movement for the top nitro layer to crack. The side effect I found on my 2020 Special Semihollow was that the nitro is like a thin layer of whipped cream on top of a concrete block and you can easily scratch and damage the nitro layer, but the acrylic underneath is much harder to damage.

Personally, I prefer the vintage nitro finish which is just nitro and only nitro. It means that it will crack at some point and it means it can be damaged like nitro, but I haven't found it so easy to accidentally damage as the new Core finish.

That is pounds. So $10k

No, it's $6550: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...4-singlecut-joe-walsh-limited-edition-1230337

And while some of us are debating whether this guitar is "worth it" or not, I'm sure all 200 will sell out in no time.

EDIT:

BTW $6550 isn't much more than a Wood Library, which you'd have to get in order to get a Brazillian board anyway. And then on top of that it has several private stock features:

- Stainless steel frets
- Vintage nitro finish
- Actual signature from Paul

Plus of course Joe's signature, which doesn't mean much to most of us but definitely means something to the intended audience for this guitar.

And I think having Joe Walsh say "This is better than anything Gibson is making." in so many words is worth a lot to PRS in terms of reputation. Some die hard LP people may give a 594 a chance as a result of this endorsement.

I'm not getting one, I don't like SS frets and I have an R9 and the 594 Graveyard already, so I'm all set. But I don't see any reason to really doubt if this guitar is "worth it". I think they would have sold out at $10k.

Back