Joe Bonamassa

Good for you. What a great thing to experience together. Joe B. is just an outstanding talent and a stunning live performer.

PRSAK,

Thanks for that. I wanted to post a picture of us out front of the banner with Bonamassa's name in lights, but I don't have permission yet.

Alan

I'm a Joe fan. I've been fortunate enough to see him several times, and each time I've been struck by how much better he and the band have gotten from the time before. As of late, his gigs have been two-shows-within-a-show; an acoustic set, then a short break, followed by an electric set. Joe and his guys are genuinely nice, good people, and in my experience that goes from the folks at the merch tables on up. Plus, for gear nerds like me, the shows are great from the standpoint of seeing all of the amazing guitars and amps they use. Where else can you see and hear in person a flock of real Gibson Sunbursts from '58 - '60?

I hope it was a good time! Please give us a report/review?

Goldtop Lloyd

Last edited:
I'm a Joe fan. I've been fortunate enough to see him several times, and each time I've been struck by how much better he and the band have gotten from the time before. As of late, his gigs have been two-shows-within-a-show; an acoustic set, then a short break, followed by an electric set. Joe and his guys are genuinely nice, good people, and in my experience that goes from the folks at the merch tables on up. Plus, for gear nerds like me, the shows are great from the standpoint of seeing all of the amazing guitars and amps they use. Where else can you see and hear in person a flock of real Gibson Sunbursts from '58 - '60?

I hope it was a good time! Please give us a report/review?

Goldtop Lloyd

Hey Goldtop,

I tell you what. Joe, and his band are great musicians. They didn't do an acoustic show, though. That would have been good to see. But, the show they did was fantastic. I was amazed at how well the keyboardist blended so well with Joe's guitar playing. For example, the keys would start a lick and the guitar would finish it seamlessly. I really loved watching the keyboardist direct the band and also jam back and forth with Joe. The whole mood, tone, and feeling was anchored by the keyboardist. I'd have to also say that the percussions important in creating the atmosphere too. The whole band worked like a well oiled machine.

I love how Joe moves between finger style, flat picking, and slide guitar. And, he can sing!. Two things I took away from this show. The first, is that Joe Bonamassa is a musician. The music is in him. If he played another instrument, he would be great at that instrument too. The second, is that music is all about the beat. I know that might sound like a no brainer, but it's easy to miss that when you get all caught up in speed playing and razzle dassle sound effects. There was a time the whole group played to a whisper, but you felt the music because the beat was spot on. Also, during long silent pauses you still felt the music because the beat was held solid.

He came out with a blue Les Paul with a Firebird headstock for his first song. Then he switched to one of his 58 - 60 sunburst Les Pauls. He played a strat on one or two songs, and then switched back to another Les Paul. When he came out for an encore, he had his signature ES-335. There may have been another strat and a Les Paul Jr involved during the show too, but I'm not sure.

The sound quality of the show was very good. There was a set of 5 or 6 fender tweed amps miked on the center back of the stage and monitors throughout. Whoever does the sound system knows what they are doing. Very well balanced. The light show was very well done too.

I would have to say the only downer for me was when he introduced Brian Setzer out on stage for three songs. Now, Mr. Setzer is a great guitar player, but his guitar tone and style seemed to clash a bit with Joe and the band. One, he didn't seem to keep time as well as you'd expect (could have been his style - more bebop/jazz playing ahead and around the beat). Second, there were a few sour notes right off the bat with the first song. Third, a few times he soloed over Joe's singing in a non complementing way. Fourth, the guitar sound was rather wimpy in comparison with Joe's. It was like they allowed a high school amateur to sit in for a few songs. Remember, I have a couple of Brian Setzer albums and I think he's a great player, it just didn't work well for me when he played with Joe. The next day, I watched a video, which was from the concert, of Brian Setzer playing and it didn't seem bad the way I remembered it. But, being at the show is different than watching a video.

I'll see if I can post picks and a video that my son took with his smart phone when he come back from school.

Regards,

Alan

Last edited:
Joe B is badass for sure. I love his playing. My 11 year old wants to go see Boston this summer, cool!

gush:

That is cool to hear.

He wants to see the band Boston? Or, he wants to see Joe Bonomassa in Boston this summer? Either way, it will be a fun thing to do and create a nice memory for you both.

Alan

Back