Joe Bonamassa rig rundown

I'd like to see JB play a PRS...I think he's said somewhere he owns (or owned) a McCarty.

One thing I find fascinating about Joe's collection is his affinity and interest in the piece of equipment's origins and history. He always seems to have all the details about who has owned the guitar or amp, where it's been for the last some-odd years, and how he came upon it. His appreciation for the instrument moves beyond it's ability to create music....I find that kinda cool.

That may be the reason he's not quite as interested in newer guitars as he is the "classics".

I'd like to see JB play a PRS...I think he's said somewhere he owns (or owned) a McCarty.

One thing I find fascinating about Joe's collection is his affinity and interest in the piece of equipment's origins and history. He always seems to have all the details about who has owned the guitar or amp, where it's been for the last some-odd years, and how he came upon it. His appreciation for the instrument moves beyond it's ability to create music....I find that kinda cool.

That may be the reason he's not quite as interested in newer guitars as he is the "classics".
If he got into PRS all he’d have to do is go to Japan on one of his guitar safari thingies.

Nope, Joe plays more notes in one song than Robben plays in an entire concert. My ears get fatigued fast.
You'd love my playing then. Couple of notes in a whole song. And the songs only last as long as a TV commercial. So, maybe a minute at most.

Your ears can take a snooze between notes, it'll just be a very short snooze.

"He gets up to pee or get a snack when you think he's hearing your ads, Les. No one listens to ad music."

"Then it's no wonder why I get work! No one cares what I play."

You'd love my playing then. Couple of notes in a whole song. And the songs only last as long as a TV commercial. So, maybe a minute at most.

Your ears can take a snooze between notes, it'll just be a very short snooze.

"He gets up to pee or get a snack when you think he's hearing your ads, Les. No one listens to ad music."

"Then it's no wonder why I get work! No one cares what I play."
Funny you mention this. Since I learned what you do, I do pay attention to unique commercial background music and some of the tasty tones and production several have

I saw him when he was 16 and just starting out. Still has that cocky attitude his father gave him. Great player, just a little head strong for where he came from.
I remember him when he was young in that concert with Robben Ford (was it a special Fender anniversary thing?) and he played all over Robben Ford. Robben being the gracious player that he is, kept back and let JB hog the limelight. RF’s playing was much tastier while JB’s was a more immature flurry of notes. I’m glad JB has grown up. He’s a much better player now.

He's a great player, and likes the gear he likes. He's also self-deprecating, not too full of himself and a nice guy to boot.

What's he need a PRS for? He's already a happy camper.

PRSes made me a happy camper, but what do I know? ;)
You are absolutely correct. We just saw him here in Omaha a few weeks ago. And go on his blues cruise every year. On the latter he always has a session where he talks about his gear, will have some other guitarists from the cruise on the stage for interviews and answers questions. The last time he had Norm from Norms Rare Guitars on stage. They are pretty good friends. Of course, he had his four vintage ('59 ish?)Les Pauls for Norm and he to discuss. It was partly to brag; Norm valued them each approaching $1/2 million.

He does seem like a nice guy and many times I have seen him the butt of his self-deprecation. As successful as his is he never seems to take himself too seriously.

As much as he loves gear I have often wondered "why no PRS?" I guess it is because he seems to only play vintage. He doesn't seem to mind new when it comes to his signature Gibsons!;):cool::D

And you have probably seen it as well. I don't know why he generates all the vitriol. Actually, we probably do. Nature of forums.

"why no PRS"?

perhaps he wants the sound of a Les Paul.. after all, he has done pretty well with that tone.

The correct question is why would he remotely consider getting a PRS?

You are absolutely correct. We just saw him here in Omaha a few weeks ago. And go on his blues cruise every year. On the latter he always has a session where he talks about his gear, will have some other guitarists from the cruise on the stage for interviews and answers questions. The last time he had Norm from Norms Rare Guitars on stage. They are pretty good friends. Of course, he had his four vintage ('59 ish?)Les Pauls for Norm and he to discuss. It was partly to brag; Norm valued them each approaching $1/2 million.

He does seem like a nice guy and many times I have seen him the butt of his self-deprecation. As successful as his is he never seems to take himself too seriously.

As much as he loves gear I have often wondered "why no PRS?" I guess it is because he seems to only play vintage. He doesn't seem to mind new when it comes to his signature Gibsons!;):cool::D

And you have probably seen it as well. I don't know why he generates all the vitriol. Actually, we probably do. Nature of forums.
If memory serves, his dad bought and traded vintage guitars. Maybe it's partly what he was taught to value in a guitar, and I think he digs going into the history/provenance of each one.

Not my thing but...he's so good at what he does I'll forgive him. ;)

Back