Jmod vs. Two Rock

PeterK

I apologize if this has already been asked on here but does anyone have experience with these two amps? I'm in the market for a loud and clean 100watt amp, mostly a Dumble style amp, and the Jmod and the Classic Reverb Signature are the two that I am considering.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

I have both. I have a K&M (pre-Two Rock) Custom, and it is very Dumble-y in a sense. Chimey, blooming sound. Very similar to what Kimock and John wanted in their early TR's. John's was more SSS, I believe.

The JM100 is just an amazing amp (way to go John, Paul, and Doug)!
I got one with like 10 hours on it for about $2k less than what it went for, and it's stunning. Plays well even at low vols.

Interested to see the tweaks that John is alluding to in some of his IG pix recently, since the amp was absent from DeadCo tour this summer.

I had 6 TRs (Onyx, various Onyx Sigs, and Custom Reverbs) over a period of nearly a dozen years. Loved them!

Mayer had Two Rocks (when they were called Two Rock) during Bill Krinard and Joe Mloganoski’s original ownership of the company.

The JMOD doesn’t sound very much like them in clips I’ve heard. However, I think it’s a different - equally nice - thing. Perhaps a bit more Fendery than Dumble?

What say you, Virginia Ave?

Thanks, guys! I might post on the other thread. I guess I'm just looking for the loud, clean, "fender on steroids" thing. I love PRS amps so it would be cool to use an amp that I'm accustomed to

Thanks, guys! I might post on the other thread. I guess I'm just looking for the loud, clean, "fender on steroids" thing. I love PRS amps so it would be cool to use an amp that I'm accustomed to

I tend to go for the ‘amps on LSD’ thing myself.

But then, I’m a child of the 60s.

Two Rock is a nice amp. No offense to PRS. I don't own either however. A fender on steroids is an original pre cbs Fender.

May I ask why you feel you need 100 watts anywhere? You don't like break up? Ok Twin Reverb but make sure its precbs.

You want a great Fender on steroids? Buy a used 67 Fender Vibrolux or any Black Faced Fender. Thats the best of the best and your paying 2500. bucks. Or if your concerned about age. Buy a hardwired Achillies replica for the same amount of money brand new and guess what...Same great tone that you can make your own unique style with. Best clean base ever to start with to make your own style with or sound worse with because the tone is so solid. A great amp will expose your strengths and weaknesses and make you a better player because they are so responsive.. Two Rocks are also good. J-Mod maybe good but your paying for someone else name. If thats what you want to pay for ok but your flushing your cash down the drain.

Hey take mushrooms...There is way less strychnine in it and you'll be able to sleep when your done playing lol.

Two Rock is a nice amp. No offense to PRS. I don't own either however. A fender on steroids is an original pre cbs Fender.

May I ask why you feel you need 100 watts anywhere? You don't like break up? Ok Twin Reverb but make sure its precbs.

You want a great Fender on steroids? Buy a used 67 Fender Vibrolux or any Black Faced Fender. Thats the best of the best and your paying 2500. bucks. Or if your concerned about age. Buy a hardwired Achillies replica for the same amount of money brand new and guess what...Same great tone that you can make your own unique style with. Best clean base ever to start with to make your own style with or sound worse with because the tone is so solid. A great amp will expose your strengths and weaknesses and make you a better player because they are so responsive.. Two Rocks are also good. J-Mod maybe good but your paying for someone else name. If thats what you want to pay for ok but your flushing your cash down the drain.

Hey take mushrooms...There is way less strychnine in it and you'll be able to sleep when your done playing lol.

Leif, that’s kinda cold. You haven’t played a JMOD, and probably haven’t even heard one in person.

I heard that kinda trash talk back when I first bought Two-Rocks, in 2003, all over TGP. Folks were incensed over the price of “just a glorified Fender, name one rock star who even plays one?” You’d have been one of those guys.

Now that a lot of well known players use them, it’s apparently acceptable to like Two-Rocks, “they’re great amps.” Well, they were great amps before folks got on the bandwagon.

So I’m calling BS.

Also, a 100 Watt amp sounds different from the same amp at 50 Watts. Not only does it have more headroom, it also usually has a more piano-like (crisper) bottom end with less squish, regardless of volume.

My ‘67 Bassman was I think $500, new, including cab (I bought mine “NOS” in 1968). I’m sure there was some dude somewhere who would’ve said, “Why spend $500 when you can buy a Silvertone for $150?” Because there’s always some dude who’s gotta say stuff like that.

There are plenty of players who don’t lose sleep over a $5000 amp. Simple as that. They buy what they want to play through, end of story. So what’s the big deal for you that you’ve got the need to weigh in on something you haven’t even played?

Maybe STFU until you’ve had the opportunity to play through one, and then give us your take? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Leif, that’s kinda cold. You haven’t played a JMOD, and probably haven’t even heard one in person.

I heard that kinda trash talk back when I first bought Two-Rocks, in 2003, all over TGP. Folks were incensed over the price of “just a glorified Fender, name one rock star who even plays one?” You’d have been one of those guys.

Now that a lot of well known players use them, it’s apparently acceptable to like Two-Rocks, “they’re great amps.” Well, they were great amps before folks got on the bandwagon.

So I’m calling BS.

Also, a 100 Watt amp sounds different from the same amp at 50 Watts. Not only does it have more headroom, it also usually has a more piano-like (crisper) bottom end with less squish, regardless of volume.

My ‘67 Bassman was I think $500, new, including cab (I bought mine “NOS” in 1968). I’m sure there was some dude somewhere who would’ve said, “Why spend $500 when you can buy a Silvertone for $150?” Because there’s always some dude who’s gotta say stuff like that.

There are plenty of players who don’t lose sleep over a $5000 amp. Simple as that. They buy what they want to play through, end of story. So what’s the big deal for you that you’ve got the need to weigh in on something you haven’t even played?

Maybe STFU until you’ve had the opportunity to play through one, and then give us your take? :rolleyes:

Ditto!

So I’m calling BS.

Whats cold?

What trash talk?

What did I say thats so offensive?

Who said I never played a J-Mod? I played that up against a Two Rock when it came out. Just like another time my friend who bought a Bogner and I bought A Fuchs ODS and we did a comparison head to head we did the same thing. FYI I paid over 5k for my fuchs. I never said there is anything wrong with paying 5k for an amp anywhere.

What does STFU even mean?

Where did I trash a J-mod other than I think your paying more than its worth personally? Im not entitled to my opinion on this forum? I think its a bit overpriced for what it is. I do like the way you can change tube types with a biased adjustment jack on the back. Yeah thats nice features which does make it a versatile amp. We played Two Rock and J-Mod head to head like we did before with Bigner and Fuchs (me and my friend).. We both think Two Rock drive was a tad better than a J-Mod and Im not retracting anything. Im entitled to my opinion. No I agree there is nothing wrong with paying 5k for an amp. You know the gear I own. I paid over 5k for my fuchs ODS. Which by the way is very Dumble sounding. More than a JMod. I liked the Jmod overall. The guy wants something fenderish or Dumble or Fender on Steroids I thought I read. So I suggested trying out a precbs vibrolux? Whats wrong with that? Yes the JMod is a good amp. I think the price will go down over time however. Yes I don't own either (not anymore anyway I sent the Two Rock back). But we spent an entire evening comparing them.

Where are you even getting I said anything really all that bad? There are things I liked about it. My fuchs will take the gain head to head and show more Dumble than a JMOd any day IMO. And thats my opinion. And you know I like PRS stuff.

Wow, you guys are mean.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are mean.
Just protective.

You have had posts in a couple of threads that seemed to be harsh criticism with no background for us to assess what was behind that criticism. For example, if your comments in this thread had opened with the nature of your experience with the amps in question, your comments might have been judged differently.

Some of your questions regarding LSchefman’s response suggest English might not be your first language, which might soften my assessment of the tone of some of your posts.

Just protective.

You have had posts in a couple of threads that seemed to be harsh criticism with no background for us to assess what was behind that criticism. For example, if your comments in this thread had opened with the nature of your experience with the amps in question, your comments might have been judged differently.

Some of your questions regarding LSchefman’s response suggest English might not be your first language, which might soften my assessment of the tone of some of your posts.

English is my first language however I do speak spanish quite well. I was very tired and had little sleep because I was up all night playing when I wrote that post but reading it back, I still do not see anything harsh. Im a very friendly guy and most people that actually know me like me quite a bit. Maybe if I was more wide awake at the time, I would have surely paid better attention and given more info. It was really early and technically late and I just popped on. Still I never am rude. Im the guy that defends PRS on the gear page especially when they are disrespected. Maybe...I just don't belong here?

Peace.

Last edited:
Leif, you wanted to know what I thought was cold. Here it is:

J-Mod maybe good but your paying for someone else name. If thats what you want to pay for ok but your flushing your cash down the drain.

What’s snarky and kind of nasty? The references to “paying for someone else[sic] name.” The reference to “flushing your cash down the drain.” The reference to mushrooms, strychnine and not being able to sleep.

Those are all a way of expressing disdain for something. There’s no need for that.

If you’d said, “Hey, I tried it and thought the TR was better,” or “I didn’t think it was worth the asking price,” fine. Nothing wrong with that.

The way you chose to express yourself was pretty nasty. If you’re going to dish out the attitude, you’re going to get the push-back.

Back