JM Prototype #3?

Hubba hubba!

Sh!t... I'm kinda hoping John becomes a PRS dude with a siggy model now.

Damn it! Another new guitar I need. I really hope it doesn't come with 408s...

This is srota interesting - take a gander at the middle pickup cavity - I don't think a 305 pup would fit there. New PRS singlecoil in the making?

I'm guessing it'll be 408, NF, 408 with the three switches being coil taps.
On the pair of mini switches, one is an onboard boost, the other will add the bridge pickup so he can get the neck/bridge or all three at once.

It needs more switches, lights and knobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is srota interesting - take a gander at the middle pickup cavity - I don't think a 305 pup would fit there. New PRS singlecoil in the making?

The guitar he played with Phil Lesh started out with 3 NFs, but by the time it was on stage the neck and bridge pickups had been re-routed for humbuckers. On the recent "AskMeAnything" Paul Smith did on reddit he was asked about the guitar, said the switches were on/off controls for the pickups and and onboard preamp and booster. The routing here looks the same, a NF in the middle.

I have no idea what all those switches are doing given the blade switch. P408 and sustainer? Even that doesn't make sense with the blade.

From Paul's Reddit AMA: "the switches turn pickups on and off, make pickups single-coil, and turn a pre-amp and treble boost on and off."

Kinda reminds me of the one made for another mostly-Fender artist.

lang1_zpsijollfwp.jpg

langpu1s_zpssqvvt5yk.jpg

It needs more switches, lights and knobs.
:-D I reckon Mayer is trying to be a bit ironic with the all the switches. Not sure that he's looking to come up with a classic or a guitar that defines him.

Mayer has an Alembic (Garcia Wolf guitar replica) with similar controls as he's been on a Grateful Dead kick. Looks like he incorporated the controls and preamp, etc. There are rumors about him touring with Bobby, Bill, Jeff Chimenti and Mike Gordon.

Kinda reminds me of the one made for another mostly-Fender artist.

lang1_zpsijollfwp.jpg

langpu1s_zpssqvvt5yk.jpg

:-D I reckon Mayer is trying to be a bit ironic with the all the switches. Not sure that he's looking to come up with a classic or a guitar that defines him.

WOW. That guitar goes "P-RAIL" in positions 2 and 4 I wonder?

Back