Jimmy Page Rig Rundown

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
Just watched it over the weekend. Amazing tone from each guitar he played, further reinforcing his greatness.

Reactions: jxe
Mr. Chicken Hawk, with all respect, were you just hatched?
I was trying to "ruffle some feathers" on that one. I'm a huge Zeppelin fan and have been for many decades. Even have a few albums on vinyl. Essential for anyone that plays guitar or even likes music, in general. It's like saying you never heard of McDonald's, Nike or Coca-Cola

I was trying to "ruffle some feathers" on that one. I'm a huge Zeppelin fan and have been for many decades. Even have a few albums on vinyl. Essential for anyone that plays guitar or even likes music, in general. It's like saying you never heard of McDonald's, Nike or Coca-Cola
I knew you were, so I decided to have a little fun as well. It’s amazes me to this day how polarizing they are to people. One of my friends insisted that I put a “No Led Zeppelin” filter on my iTunes playlist.

Bass player for the Yardbirds.
And he also played on the records "Goldfinger" for the James Bond movie, also a hit for Shirley Bassey, "Tobacco Road" by the Nashville Teens, "Heart of Stone" by The Rolling Stones, "Downtown" for Petula Clark, "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan, "Beck's Bolero" with Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from my Friends," and on songs made famous by The Kinks, Nico and The Who!

Not a bad discography!

And he also played on the records "Goldfinger" for the James Bond movie, also a hit for Shirley Bassey, "Tobacco Road" by the Nashville Teens, "Heart of Stone" by The Rolling Stones, "Downtown" for Petula Clark, "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan, "Beck's Bolero" with Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from my Friends," and on songs made famous by The Kinks, Nico and The Who!

Not a bad discography!
I didn't know that about Goldfinger...pretty sweet!

I once did karaoke of Petula Clark's 'Downtown' at a friend's birthday party at a bar. Karaoke really isn't my thing, but I was a little sloshed and did it in a high pitched voice and brought the house down lol

At an age where most young guys were jerking off and wannabes, Page was making quite a name for himself in the session world in London. Tells us something about his level of talent and commitment long before he became a household name with Yardbirds and Zep.

Plenty of finger acrobats can play the fast stuff, but the trick is really coming up with ideas that make the music great stuff. Page had that, few do.

I've had many session players come in that could do meaningless speed exercises, but couldn't come up with an interesting, memorable melodic idea. Hey, if I have to write the part and get someone to play it, well, there isn't much need for the other person, I can do that myself.

Last edited:
He was also in a band with a drummer from AC/DC.
I've been lucky enough to hear Bonham, Moon and Chris Slade (with AC/DC, not the Firm) live and Slade's was the best live drum sound I've heard, and I thought that AC/DC sounded best with him. Fantastic drummer. No need to go on about Bonham or Moon.

Page/Zep were the reason to get my cherry sunburst LP a couple of years after I saw them at Kezar in '73. Great show even though he had a sprained wrist.

I've had many session players come in that could do meaningless speed exercises, but couldn't come up with an interesting, memorable melodic idea.
Zep wrote 'Rock & Roll' in about 15 minutes. Bonham was just playing around with a 'Good Golly Miss Molly' drum line, Page added his riff and Plant threw in lyrics.

Back