Jeff Beck Trem set up Prs Se Mann Bridge

Mgw5678

Hi, Can anyone help me, I want to set my Trem to play Jeff Beck and it’s to stiff. It’s set up with four springs and I’m not sure the best way to configure a three spring set up. Can you help?
Cheers
Mark

Hi, Can anyone help me, I want to set my Trem to play Jeff Beck and it’s to stiff. It’s set up with four springs and I’m not sure the best way to configure a three spring set up. Can you help?
Cheers
Mark

I would think that if you go down to three springs you'll likely need to adjust the claw "in" to get the saddles back to level. I also remember reading somewhere, I forget where, that having the bridge slightly off from completely level helps with intonation and tuning. I could be mis-remembering about that, tho. If you're going for a Jeff Beck style of vibrato use (I hate that Fender swapped the terms vibrato and tremolo) keep in mind that he also has a custom bent bar to make it easier to reach and use while playing. I think the bar is longer and has more angle to it so his hand will be in his preferred position.

Jeff Beck has one of the best vibrato techniques around. His smoothness and intonation while using the bar are ridiculously good.

I would think that if you go down to three springs you'll likely need to adjust the claw "in" to get the saddles back to level. I also remember reading somewhere, I forget where, that having the bridge slightly off from completely level helps with intonation and tuning. I could be mis-remembering about that, tho. If you're going for a Jeff Beck style of vibrato use (I hate that Fender swapped the terms vibrato and tremolo) keep in mind that he also has a custom bent bar to make it easier to reach and use while playing. I think the bar is longer and has more angle to it so his hand will be in his preferred position.

Jeff Beck has one of the best vibrato techniques around. His smoothness and intonation while using the bar are ridiculously good.
Hi,
Thanks for this, I find the PRS just stays in tune better and has better sustain than my strat even though it has Callaham bridge and block. I love my strat but my upgraded PRS SE can do the job just as well and more. I use 10 gauge strings which don’t seem to break as easy when using the vibrato more aggressively. I’m going to give it ago and see what happens.

Removing springs can of course make it easier for using the Trem and its NOT unusual to use 3 springs at all. It makes sense for PRS (and others) to put 4 in at the factory so you get 4. Its easier to take 1 out than to try and find one to put in if you prefer 4 springs. I guess PRS (and others) could supply the extra spring in with the case (or Gig bag) candy.

Finding the balance between having a 'stiff' bridge and 'ease' for using the Trem arm isn't necessarily that simple. If you take too many springs out for example, if you try bending the strings, the tension of the strings will pull on the bridge which will cause it to lift up - meaning you have to bend further to counter the movement in the bridge - the strength of the springs isn't enough to stop the bridge moving. Having more springs will mean that the bridge stays level when you bend - the tension in the string isn't enough to move the 4 springs when you bend.

It really depends on the player, their style and preference. 3 springs can be enough for someone as they rarely do full or more tone bends and get used to bending that little bit more to compensate but they do use the tremolo a lot more so prefer not to fight against the 4 springs trying to pull the bridge back. Compared to another person who rarely uses the tremolo and want to keep the bridge from moving when they do big bends or hit the strings hard and when they do use the Trem, its more of a little wobble than big dive bombs.

Point is, just because a guitar comes with 4 springs, doesn't mean you have to stick with all 4 springs. It really depends on user preference and how much of an impact dropping out a Spring makes for that user. As long as you set it up right - may need to adjust the claw to pull the bridge level again - intonation should still be great and, if it suits your style better, playability and ease of use should be improved. String tension has an easier job of pulling the bridge up with only 3 springs so tightening the claw is needed to compensate and to bring the bridge back down level - full bends though may need a to be bent up a bit more to reach the right note. If you find it easier to use the Trem, then string tension from bending will find it easier to move the bridge too.

It comes down to your preference. These guitars can be set up with 3 springs if you prefer and you should find it easier to use the tremolo as you are only pulling on 3 springs and not 4. You may have to adjust your string bends too, bend a bit more to reach the right pitch because there is one less spring pulling on the bridge to keep it from moving, keeping it 'stiff'. Finding the right balance for you is important and if 3 springs is better for you, then that is what you should do. You don't have to stick with 4 springs just because the guitar came with 4 springs. If you do drop a spring out, just stick the 4th spring in with the case candy to stop it getting lost and easy to find if you need it or if you do decide to sell/trade in the future.

I have three springs on my Floyd style Charvel Model 6. On that guitar the difference between 3 springs and 4 was pretty significant. If you find that 3 springs is too light but 4 is too heavy, you can change the "angle" of the springs. The springs don't have to go straight from the bridge to the claw. Attach the two outside springs so they attach closer to the middle at the claw. This will slightly increase the spring tension which will stiffen up the action slightly. Also, this may be obvious but you should have the two outside springs, in a 3 spring setup, symmetric so as to keep their pull the same. If you set them up different it will pull the bridge harder on one side which could lead to some issues with the action of the bridge along with pulling it out of position which would affect intonation. I don't know if the PRS will have this issue, all of my PRS are fixed bridge, but with my Charvel I can "hear" the springs. It's like having a reverb chamber in the guitar. I guess because it basically is a reverb chamber in the guitar. I put some foam between the springs and the body of the guitar which eliminated the additional reverb. It also stiffened the action of the bridge slightly which was nice.

I use 0.010 gauges and three springs. If you are struggling to get enough spring tension, you can set the outer springs at a diagonal between the block and claw.

I also shorten springs when required. Takes a real solid set of cutters, but you can clip off a couple turns from the claw end and bend one turn to make a new loop.

Thanks everyone for your help that’s so helpful. I’ll be setting it up this week so hopefully all will go well. Cheers.

First of all welcome!

And secondly, photos of your SE are obligatory;)

Some during shots of the mod would be good too. We all like to see progress shots!

Interested to hear about how it works out for you.

Back