Jason Kui On a SICK PRS!

Do with you want with your money. I never said anything about that. Personally, I don't believe in that sort of thing. Guitars and all other musical instruments are meant to be played. That is their purpose. That is why they were created. The fact the concept has been perverted into making them wall mounted art pieces frankly sickens me. If I inherited such things or came into their possession by other means, I'd give them away to less fortunate players. But, if it helps keep the PRS doors open, so be it.

Yeah, and cars are made to be driven. Lots of people collect them.

Do with you want with your money. I never said anything about that. Personally, I don't believe in that sort of thing. Guitars and all other musical instruments are meant to be played. That is their purpose. That is why they were created. The fact the concept has been perverted into making them wall mounted art pieces frankly sickens me. If I inherited such things or came into their possession by other means, I'd give them away to less fortunate players. But, if it helps keep the PRS doors open, so be it.

So if you came into the possession of a PRS Dragon, you’d give it away since you don’t want to see it on a wall. Ok then.

Seriously though, no need to get sick over it. Art comes in many mediums and guitar luthiery is one of them, whether you agree with it or not. No need to get worked over what someone else decides to do with the guitars in their possession.

Last edited:
Art comes in many mediums and guitar luthiery is one of them, whether you agree with it or not.

Musical rabbit holes lead in all sorts of directions... like the karaoke customers I once had who were so into it that they incorporated costumes and choreography into their (open-mic style) routines. After some of the things I've seen (and cannot un-see...) it doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone specs out a $20k PS without knowing the difference between Lydian and Ambien.

Musical rabbit holes lead in all sorts of directions... like the karaoke customers I once had who were so into it that they incorporated costumes and choreography into their (open-mic style) routines. After some of the things I've seen (and cannot un-see...) it doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone specs out a $20k PS without knowing the difference between Lydian and Ambien.

As long as they know the difference between Jack and Redbreast, I'm good with that.

The fact the concept has been perverted into making them wall mounted art pieces frankly sickens me. If I inherited such things or came into their possession by other means, I'd give them away to less fortunate players.

LOL. “Perverted?” Who appointed you to determine the use for others? Frankly, I’m tired of those who want to decide for the rest of us the way things ought to be.
I don’t care what reason you (or anyone) own guitars. If you want to use them for firewood, so be it. Or, if you want to give them to those “less fortunate,” good for you. They’re yours, right? Who am I to determine what’s right for you?

Be_Excellent_nl1pov.gif

LOL. “Perverted?” Who appointed you to determine the use for others? Frankly, I’m tired of those who want to decide for the rest of us the way things ought to be.
I don’t care what reason you (or anyone) own guitars. If you want to use them for firewood, so be it. Or, if you want to give them to those “less fortunate,” good for you. They’re yours, right? Who am I to determine what’s right for you?

I never said my point of view/opinion was the way it should be. I just stated it. For some reason, you are taking it personally. That's your issue. Not mine.

So if you came into the possession of a PRS Dragon, you’d give it away since you don’t want to see it on a wall. Ok then.

Seriously though, no need to get sick over it. Art comes in many mediums and guitar luthiery is one of them, whether you agree with it or not. No need to get worked over what someone else decides to do with the guitars in their possession.

I wouldn't give a dragon away. I'd sell it and donate the proceeds to a worthy cause, probably the local humane society shelter. That's being 100% honest.

Again... you guys are being way too sensitive about this. Seriously... you can't mention anything that doesn't follow strict party lines here without a lot of butt hurt happening. That isn't my problem.

........Guitars and all other musical instruments are meant to be played. That is their purpose. That is why they were created. The fact the concept has been perverted into making them wall mounted art pieces frankly sickens me......

I never said my point of view/opinion was the way it should be. I just stated it.....

Hmmmmm (scratching my head).

Well, alrighty then!

Hmmmmm (scratching my head).

Well, alrighty then!

There's nothing to scratch your head about. It's simple. I stated an opinion that was not dictatorial or demeaning in any way. I didn't say "Guitars are meant to be played and people who have them on their walls are morons".

RELAX. We all like PRS guitars here. Not all of us believe in putting them in glass cases on our walls, though. You are talking to the person who has the 6 month rule. If it's unused in my home in that time period, it goes. I have empty rooms in my home for that reason. So, don't take what I say to heart.

I caught this on my Mesa Facebook feed today. Wow... PRS needs to focus on players like this. He aint no doctor or lawyer! I'm assuming he's playing a private stock and its gorgeous! The tone is unreal too. PRS and Mesa is a great combo.

Jump to 0:36 for the guitar.

He has some nice licks.

Sure, if tired blues licks are your thing. :) Mesa thought highly enough of him to spotlight him.

These are the players PRS needs to start paying attention to, because remaking LPs is only going to last so long.

I thought I was with you until the last part. I have a few guitars. I play most of them and several are my gigging ones. However, I also have some that hang on the wall and admire them as art (if not “trophies”). I just can’t bring myself to take my SC Dragon to a bar gig.

Is that Ok? Maybe I’m confused but I could swear I spent MY money.

I'm with you on that. My two solidbodies are going to my girls as are the two acoustics, but I only play the latter.

Looks like he went with the pickups directly mounted to the body - no rings. Kinda cool.

Not my thing...never heard of the guy until this thread. But that not real surprising for me, I don't run in the prog-rock-metal world. I live in a world of Fender and Gibson music/players....I'm just bringing PRS to the masses.

If I had a glass case on the wall I'd hang my charcoal burst HB like it was the Mona Lisa.......... ......and I'd wear out the hinges taking it down every day to play it.;)

As for Jason Kui, he rips, plays very precise, and has some really cool phrasings. Very Satriani/Vai-ish.
The only thing I can say I didn't like is that it was mostly planned out arpeggios & licks, little improv, so it had a predictability to it, like you heard it all before. I respect him though, he's playing at a higher level than I am.

This thread turned out to be a hot topic!

Bit like a fiery curry, wow my mouth hurts. Glad to see Sergio and a few other have got the yoghurt dip!

It’s an emotive subject. I fall on the playing side, however I appreciate 11top’s stance. I’ve had guitars that I wouldn’t play at a “bar gig” because the clientele are clumsy Fockers.

Ultimately we’re all here because guitars rock our world!

And IT guys, Electrical Engineers, Sales guys, and Accountants, and...

As one of the Electrical Engineers here, I will add: Yeah! Yeah, what he said.

Lol

Seriously though, it sounds like it wasnt what Drew said it was just the way he said it.

Its all good

Leave it to Drew to be the voice of (un)reason:p

eh? Because I don't believe in putting a guitar on a wall? Want to put something on a wall, buy a painting. Guitars should be played A LOT.

I think if we gave Paul a few drinks and then asked his honest opinion, I'm sure he'd echo what I am saying. I don't think for one second that Paul feels great knowing that a good deal of his guitars hang on walls. Yeah, bills have to be paid and I'm sure he'd rather sell wall hangers than go out of business. But, in the end, the guy is a luthier and wants his creations to make music.

Back