I've been so wrong (Setup)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by owickerman, Jan 11, 2018 at 10:07 AM.

Tags:
  1. owickerman

owickerman New Member

Since I received my first PRS (a 509), I believed that PRS guitars were somehow created to have a "vintage" feeling with an action a little bit high which seemed ok with a chunky neck (sorry, I've been raised with a IBZ Wizard neck in hand...).
    So, I kept a little relief in the neck and accomodate myself with an action a little high for my taste.

Everything changed when I discovered this video :

I then created a magic tool as indicated and followed exactly this video. I have now under 2 mm of action at the 12th fret for the low E and I know that it can be tweacked to go some fraction down.

So, PRS guitars have nothing "vintage" except for the craftsmanship and the quality. They can play as any very high tech shred guitar created these days but with a classy look ;)

Wakester and pac90 like this.
  2. toothace

toothace At least I'm good at dentistry

That workbench is WAY too neat and tidy...there's definitely something wrong with this guy!!:rolleyes:

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I have very little idea whether the setup technique is correct, but it seems pretty good. I’m not into using the green cleaning spray on the fretboard, however. Seems to me that cleaning with lemon oil (naphtha) is a safer bet, then wiping that off and finishing with what PRS uses, which I believe is a light furniture polish like Behold.

4. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

Simple green is natural, but undeluted a very strong cleaner... I use it to clean my coffee roaster. Would have never thought to use it on a fretboard. I use Seymour Duncan fretboard cleaner. Then lemon oil after its cleaned.

5. owickerman

owickerman New Member

I ordered the crimson guitars stuff, the reviews are unparalleled. I keep you informed when I receive it.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  6. pac90

pac90 New Member

great thorough presentation, and now Im hungry for Olives ;)

amazon have string action gauges for cheap

7. Wakester

Wakester Yea! I'm not the new guy anymore!

I'm cheap, I used to use a Dime or Nickel as my gauge, depending on which guitar I was setting.

Lee B. and xjbebop like this.
  8. Gigi

Gigi New Member

this guy might not have any fear cutting strings in this brutal way, but i suggest you to put a cloth under the tail of the bridge to avoid damage on the top and maybe detune strings before cutting.

owickerman likes this.