It's So Slow Around Here, I'm Gonna Kick Y'all In The NAD(s)!

That's cool. You can learn me!

The decaf I've tried is crazy to roast. None of your "system" works, none of your "clues" work... you just watch the color only of the beans and then still stop it fast and early because once you think they are dark enough, it's too late. Rarely do you get any real "cracks" and so I can't set my timers, etc. I over-roasted the first three batches I tried.

Yeah, they’re weird. It depends I think on how it’s been decaffinated. There’s either a chemical process that strips the beans of caffeine, or something called SWP (Swiss water process) that soaks the beans in a water solution where the caffeine is drawn out and it evaporates (I believe). So the beans actually have to be dried twice, which I think screws with the bean’s composition.

Okay, now I’m really done.

Yes, the chemical structure of the bean has already been tampered with during the decaf process, so you don't get the normal cracks to judge by. What's worse, even when going only visually, they turn dark extremely quickly at the end and run on darker during the cool down process, so NOTHING you've learned about roasting makes sense with them. You just watch carefully and stop early. I even open the roaster door to let out any ambient heat to help speed cool down. Now that the weather is cooler, should be much easier. Roasting them when it was 90 out was a trip.

Yes, the chemical structure of the bean has already been tampered with during the decaf process, so you don't get the normal cracks to judge by. What's worse, even when going only visually, they turn dark extremely quickly at the end and run on darker during the cool down process, so NOTHING you've learned about roasting makes sense with them. You just watch carefully and stop early. I even open the roaster door to let out any ambient heat to help speed cool down. Now that the weather is cooler, should be much easier. Roasting them when it was 90 out was a trip.

That’s interesting. I’d love to buy a bag from the next batch you do.

...and I’m sure you know this but, the lighter the roast, the more caffeine a coffee has. Roasting actually cooks off some of the caffeine, which is why espresso, Italian, and French roasts (in that order) will have less of a caffeine jolt and more of a flavor impact.

The most caffeinated beans are the Central American beans, like that Brazilian you have. That’s why those are the ones that they use the most for morning coffees, high in acidity, brighter flavor notes, and copious amounts of tweek juice..

Listen to me being all pretentious. I’ll stop now.
That ‘s why I only drink espresso.

I WAS playing nice dude....I did warn the poor fella, I mean there is a friggin Kraken on the loose...DTR has that look in his eye and he is wielding a Wooden Crate! It's freakin me out man....o_O
I was meaning Sergio and his adversary that were discussing the DG30. Scott R you’re a gent in my book!:)

I had a job in coffee, in case my superfluous descriptions didn’t give it away.. :rolleyes:

In the beginning we’d all bust (make fun of) on decaf people until it dawned on me, they were the real coffee lovers. They’re not just addicts trying to get a fix, they’re actually into what coffee tastes like!

It’s kinda sad how little of a selection the decaf people are stuck with. Maybe they’ve got more options now, but even when I go shopping for my girl’s decaf.. there’s almost nothing.

Decaf is kinda interesting IMO, the different ways the get the caffeine out.. cool stuff. I’d think a roaster that offered some more options in decaf could create some sort of brand for themselves.

Dude! That was a superfluous discription! I found myself feeling the sudden cravings for coffee from third world countries...yeah the hillbilly I asked at my local Walmart...looked at me when I asked for it, as if I had just asked him the square root of something, or why he thought his family tree had no branches? His in depth training from Goliath payed off apparently however, he was especially proud to tell me "we got the fancy stuff right up here though, as he pointed to a bag of Starbucks" I said thanks, but no. STILL doesn't beat when I asked one of his colleagues what Pino Noir she recommended (I was bored) she said and I quote " HUH!? Peanut Newer? I ain't ever heard of it? When I explained...I was looked at oddly :confused:and told " oh, I can't understand that fancy French talk"...I swear THAT really happened...I like to go in and mess with them...it's one of my hobbies...:cool:

STILL doesn't beat when I asked one of his colleagues what Pino Noir she recommended (I was bored) she said and I quote " HUH!? Peanut Newer? I ain't ever heard of it?

That’d be Pinot Noir, Mr. Bond. ;)

When can we get back to the topic of amplifiers, guys?

Last edited:
That’d be Pinot Noir, Mr. Bond. ;)

When can we get back to the topic of amplifiers, guys?

Boom, good catch my friend! Auto correct apparently doesn't recognize "that fancy French talk either"...:D

Aw, you replied before I finished editing it in an attempt to make it funnier.

It was still funny man! But let's pretend I didn't respond and send it anyway! I'm am all about keeping the b#//breaking going! Seriously, that's the one thing I really miss about having to retire early. Well, that and the money of course.

Amplifiers? I thought this was about Sergio kicking people in the NAD(s). Ooohhhh, I get it!

You really gotta do it Les...it's a real treat! Especially in rural Alabama...it really can't get more entertaining...sometimes I swipe a yellow vest and just wander around and wait for someone to ask me where something is and...just stare at them then say my name is Scott and I like French Fries...told ya I was bored...

Last edited:
It was still funny man! But let's pretend I didn't respond and send it anyway! I'm am all about keeping the b#//breaking going! Seriously, that's the one thing I really miss about having to retire early. Well, that and the money of course.

As the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers once sagely noted, weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed.

Now, I’m no weed smoker, but substitute the word, ‘guitar’ for ‘weed’ and you’ve got something similar. :)

Therefore, your device is no better-informed than the clerk at the Wal-Mart.

It’s a sad world, my friends.
As the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers once sagely noted, weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed.

Now, I’m no weed smoker, but substitute the word, ‘guitar’ for ‘weed’ and you’ve got something similar. :)

Now THAT my friend, is what I call sage advice! Me either, I always say no to drugs...I saw the frying egg commercials in the 80's...they freaked me out...plus Nancy Reagan said told me to...

Back