It's So Slow Around Here, I'm Gonna Kick Y'all In The NAD(s)!

I WAS playing nice dude....I did warn the poor fella, I mean there is a friggin Kraken on the loose...DTR has that look in his eye and he is wielding a Wooden Crate! It's freakin me out man....o_O

Ok, I'm busted. I DO have a wooden crate. In fact, I have two of them. They are on my front porch. My wife wanted them for decorations. I use them stacked, to put my coffee roaster on when I roast. Win/Win She gets her "decor" and fresh roasted coffee. I have something to put my roaster on, and of course, fresh roasted coffee.

Ok, I'm busted. I DO have a wooden crate. In fact, I have two of them. They are on my front porch. My wife wanted them for decorations. I use them stacked, to put my coffee roaster on when I roast. Win/Win She gets her "decor" and fresh roasted coffee. I have something to put my roaster on, and of course, fresh roasted coffee.

Dude that sounds like a real win/win coffee for everyone! woo hoo! But man, I can't help but think, hmmm....This is a "Fire Marshall Bill" moment waiting to happen...I'm imagining, very dry wood boxes with some sort of gizmo that involves an open flame...:eek: see where I'm going with this? Nobody wants you to change your name to SDR...ya know Stop, Drop and Roll...it doesn't roll off the tongue as well...:D sorry sleep deprived and a little loopy...:confused:

nah, no open flames. My roaster is encloused. No flames unless I mess up badly.

Sounds like you need some of my fresh roast. I have some Ethiopian, Brazilian and a little Kenyon right now.

And lawn darts. Remember them??

Do I remember them?! Heck yeah, I also remember the doctor asking my dad to bum a cigarette while he removed (green) one from my kid brothers leg....When I was asked WTF Scott! I said dad, the rules clearly state "zig DO NOT zag". You guessed it, clearly he zagged when he should have zigged.. the little window licker should have followed the rules?!....They're called rules, not options...right dad? I was from that day on known as "the counselor" and kid brother was "LD" you know "lawn dart" ;) true story...for real.

I did. At least that's what my diary says - the last entry where they're mentioned says I'm about to go play lawn darts with the bully I'd finally won over. Can't find any mention of them after that day.

:D were you the kid brother...of this "bully"... LD? Is that you?:confused:

Current batch is Sidamo. Also have some Sumatra. I've been buying greens for about a year now so I'm still really rolling through lots of stuff to find favorites.

I always found the African coffee’s to be the most interesting. Lots of different flavor profiles, from floral to fruity, there’s a lot of breadth from the region. Sidamo is a fantastic bean, the plants low yield and their almost petite bean qualification makes it a down right bargain for how realtivly inexpensive it is in comparison to some coffee’s with better PR.

Sumatra is good too, although Indonesian, but a bit heavy for my taste. It is great for when the weather turns though..

If you get a chance, grab some eithopian Harare/harrar. It’s an amazing bean, probably one of Africa’s most complex. It was/is a favorite of mine.

Thanks! Always looking for new good beans to try. I've got the roasting part pretty much down. (Except for the stupid decaf my wife and daughter drink at night! :rolleyes:)

I don't do light roasts. All medium to darker. Usually just into or or just shy of second crack.

(Except for the stupid decaf my wife and daughter drink at night! :rolleyes:)

I had a job in coffee, in case my superfluous descriptions didn’t give it away.. :rolleyes:

In the beginning we’d all bust (make fun of) on decaf people until it dawned on me, they were the real coffee lovers. They’re not just addicts trying to get a fix, they’re actually into what coffee tastes like!

It’s kinda sad how little of a selection the decaf people are stuck with. Maybe they’ve got more options now, but even when I go shopping for my girl’s decaf.. there’s almost nothing.

Decaf is kinda interesting IMO, the different ways the get the caffeine out.. cool stuff. I’d think a roaster that offered some more options in decaf could create some sort of brand for themselves.

That's cool. You can learn me!

The decaf I've tried is crazy to roast. None of your "system" works, none of your "clues" work... you just watch the color only of the beans and then still stop it fast and early because once you think they are dark enough, it's too late. Rarely do you get any real "cracks" and so I can't set my timers, etc. I over-roasted the first three batches I tried.

...and I’m sure you know this but, the lighter the roast, the more caffeine a coffee has. Roasting actually cooks off some of the caffeine, which is why espresso, Italian, and French roasts (in that order) will have less of a caffeine jolt and more of a flavor impact.

The most caffeinated beans are the Central American beans, like that Brazilian you have. That’s why those are the ones that they use the most for morning coffees, high in acidity, brighter flavor notes, and copious amounts of tweek juice..

Listen to me being all pretentious. I’ll stop now.

Back