It's So Slow Around Here, I'm Gonna Kick Y'all In The NAD(s)!

So, Mr. OP, you’ve had it a few days. How is it working out? What pedals are you rocking through it to get “your” tones?

Come on man, don’t be like Farrah Fawcett was to me in high school. Rock that things world, then tell us all about it! Don’t make us settle for looking at pictures of it in a magazine!!!

So, Mr. OP, you’ve had it a few days. How is it working out? What pedals are you rocking through it to get “your” tones?

Come on man, don’t be like Farrah Fawcett was to me in high school. Rock that things world, then tell us all about it! Don’t make us settle for looking at pictures of it in a magazine!!!

You know, Howie, I'm not gonna lie, it's a tough amp. Some days I really love it, and other's I'm not sure if it's for me. It's not really an instant gratification amplifier... which is probably a good thing in the longterm but less exciting at first.

I got a pile of Tonal Insanity dirt boxes, some Zoom goodies, and an H9 that I'm abusing it with. I have a recording and writing gig that starts tomorrow and I'm planning on bringing it with. I'll be able to turn it up, compare it to other amps in the studio, hear it with a band, and listen to it recorded, so hopefully I'll have some more info and a better handle on what it does or doesn't do for me in the weeks to come.

In the meantime... It still looks Bangin'!

One question: How much have you been able to turn it up? I was thinking from the start that it is a “gig” amp that needs to be opened up to show it’s magic. But, I’ve never played one. Only speculating because of what I’ve read and heard about it. Then the other day, those clips with the master way down sounded pretty good, so I thought maybe I was wrong.

Not familiar with which one of the Tonal Insanity pedals does what tones, but I’d try an open, punchy pedal that could be made bright, over say a fat smooth type pedal. But then again, depends on what tones you’re going for...

So, for now, we’ll call this the Farrah Fawcett amp. Gorgeous to look at. But might take some extra effort to make it really.... uh, “sing.” And if it works, it would be worth it.

The short time I had the DG I was able to get killer tones even at lower volume , I liked the heaver pedals I make at lower volumes so Matterhorn , Little Big Horn and Killmanjaro I would bet cranked the clearer Aurora and Sequoia or the do all Nigara would be the ticket also.
I think ( like other smaller watt amps ) the DG would sound killer with a good 4x12 something it had to push a bit , I know my egnater sounded best thru a marshall 4x12 I had
Bigger power amps seem to be more forgiving as far as cabinets go ( for me )
Actually can't wait to get back by Sergios to try again :)

One question: How much have you been able to turn it up? I was thinking from the start that it is a “gig” amp that needs to be opened up to show it’s magic. But, I’ve never played one. Only speculating because of what I’ve read and heard about it. Then the other day, those clips with the master way down sounded pretty good, so I thought maybe I was wrong..

I've only been able to open it about half-way up, which is the biggest reason I'm holding off on passing judgment. I have a few of the T.I. pedals, a couple are most certainly of the smooth variety but my favorite, the Little Big Horn, can totally get nasty. Really, it's not so much the pedal-pushed dirty tones that are throwing me, it's more the clean tone. The amp reacts very differently to each guitar I own, which is the sign of a nice amp. I mean, if your amp turns everything into the same tone regardless of guitar.. you're not really playing guitar through an amp, you're just playing an amp. Right?

Either way, it's the journey and not the destination I'm enjoying at this point.

have a recording and writing gig that starts tomorrow and I'm planning on bringing it with. I'll be able to turn it up, compare it to other amps in the studio, hear it with a band, and listen to it recorded, so hopefully I'll have some more info and a better handle on what it does or doesn't do for me in the weeks to come.

That's cool, break a leg dude! I'm sure you'll kill.

The amp reacts very differently to each guitar I own, which is the sign of a nice amp. I mean, if your amp turns everything into the same tone regardless of guitar.. you're not really playing guitar through an amp, you're just playing an amp. Right?

Yes. It’s interesting, through the DG each guitar sounds like the guitar, yet the amp lends its color and tone on top of that without obliterating what the guitar does.

It is indeed a sign of a fine amp.

For nice clean tones that aren’t overly loud, try the Normal mode, high cut off (all the way left), volume around noon-ish, bright switch on, reverb to taste, treble around 2/3, scoop the mids a bit, bass around 11:00, master almost all the way up. You get a very sweet clean tone with some nice sustain from the amp’s natural compression. It’s especially nice with an open back cab.

As with any amp that isn’t generic-sounding, some guitars are going to be great with it, some won’t. That’s not a bad thing, it’s why more than one amp is a satisfying proposition, like more than one guitar is also kinda cool. I’ve yet to find an amp worth owning that succeeds at being all things to all players.

You might want to spend some more time with the amp with the master volume up past 3/4 before rushing to judgment.

Last edited:
Yes. It’s interesting, through the DG each guitar sounds like the guitar, yet the amp lends its color and tone on top of that.

For nice clean tones that aren’t overly loud, try the Normal mode, high cut off (all the way left), volume around noon-ish, bright switch on, reverb to taste, treble around 2/3, scoop the mids a bit, bass around 11:00, master almost all the way up. You get a very sweet clean tone with some nice sustain. It’s especially nice with an open back cab.

Thanks, Les, I'll give that a try.

I wanna say it so bad, but I just can't............:p

Haha!

Hey, Bodia, I prefer tube amps to whatever you’re talking about (cough, Kemper) that isn’t a tube amp. So it isn’t all things to all players. ;)

How
the
Heck
Did I miss this?:eek: Oh yeah... the flu thing.
Interesting comments after a few days Sergio. Gotta say it took me a while to understand the sweet spot when I first got my H. Then I just loved it so much I got the newer brother because of it.
Maybe it just takes time and the different situations you'll put it through.

Haha!

Hey, Bodia, I prefer tube amps to whatever you’re talking about (cough, Kemper) that isn’t a tube amp. So it isn’t all things to all players. ;)

True. But, it comes closer to being that than any amp does. That's for sure. And, this comes from a guy that is thinking about selling his Kemper.

Back