It's only 1/32 of an inch? Really?

P90s

My favorite PRS neck is the Regular D. I also have a HB with a Wide/Fat that I seldom play. Not comfortable. It AMAZES me that the Regular D is only 1/32 of an inch more narrow than the W/F. It feels like a much bigger difference. Is that simply because we're all so accustomed to our #1 guitar that any difference feels significant? When I explain to people that I really prefer one guitar to another, and explain that the measurement difference is 1/32 of an inch, I get very funny expressions. Are you guys much more flexible going from one neck shape to the next?

I am now able to go between all the neck widths on my PRS without issues, I have a bigger issue between scale lengths back to back , I have no issues with whatever I start on but then moving to a different scale feels strange
Remember it may only be a 1/32 of an inch but it does change the whole curve ( radius ) of the back of the neck if you are drawing capable take two points say 1.5 inches apart and draw a circle to intersect those points then move the points in by 1/32 " and see how different they look
pretty amazing really

Wide/Fat is my personal favorite of all time. It takes a bit to go to Pattern Thin or Wide/Thin but I don't dislike them.

twss.jpg

I can play any of the PRS necks without a problem but I certainly can feel the difference. Even between two necks of the same cut I can feel a difference. I suppose if I was a shredder I'd think I needed one over the other. As it is, I have a preference but any of them feel good and I'm happy to play them. I prefer W/T but I play W/F more because of the guitars they happen to be attached to. It make about fifteen cents worth of difference to me.

I go back and forth between the different carves and scale lengths all the time, no problems.

I can feel the differences, but they don't bother me at all.

I started out W/F and loved it for a long time, now that arthritis & age are catching up W/T is what I'm comfortable with and although I can play any neck, I enjoy it a lot less on fat necks.
It also has to do with style of playing, for folks that wrap their thumb around the neck sometimes W/F is more comfortable, I play a lot with my thumb behind the neck and thin is best for that technique.

I go back and forth between the different carves and scale lengths all the time, no problems.

Once this is done often enough, it becomes second nature. :)
I feel as Les does also.

Concur 100%.

Uh, sorry, I forgot this the internet:

+1

I am now able to go between all the neck widths on my PRS without issues, I have a bigger issue between scale lengths back to back , I have no issues with whatever I start on but then moving to a different scale feels strange

I feel the difference between the necks but I adapt pretty quickly. For me a fatter neck (the Wide Fat on my SE245) is most comfortable when playing a longer time, or lots of barre chords, but what I notice right away, and take a minute or so to adapt to, is the closer string spacing on a narrower neck.

Interestingly (I hope!) when my son, who has only been playing a year or so, picked up my new Tele he noticed right away that the scale length was different to the SE245 - and I cannot feel that difference at all! I think I have played so many scale lengths over the years (from a short-scale nylon-strung acoustic I learned on 40 years ago up to the 25.5" Fender scale) that I just adapt without even noticing it.

I'm very much a hack guitarist. Having said that, I definitely have my preferences, and play a lot better when I'm comfortable with the instrument. For me, that's Wide Fat. After that, I do quite like the Standard, or Regular, or whatever the early guitars had. I just can't get along with Wide Thins or Pattern Thins very well at all. I'm still sad about the INSANE Vintage Yellow CE-24 I sold a few years ago. It was a 1991 alder body that was just ridiculous tone-wise. The problem was I just couldn't play it well. I'm jealous of you folks that can play any neck well. I guess I just haven't put in enough practice, or just don't have the skill set.

^^^ I'm pretty much with you on this, and not because I have enough experience\knowledge to really appreciate the subtle (to me) differences of the different carves. But I do notice that my fingers seem to find chording easier on the wide\fat on my McCarty Korina. Saying that, I also am able to adjust to the different profiles after a suitable break-in period. So there's that...

I like fatter necks on guitars, they suit my big hands and stubby fingers.

I have started thinning out guitars that I own with thinner necks, I used to be able to swap between them without any problems, but not any more.

I have a nice collection of Westone guitars, most of which have thinner necks, I took one to a rehearsal the other week and lasted two songs with it.

Here's the thing though, I'm mainly a Tele player, and until about a year or so ago I used my two Mexi Teles, which have chunky-ish necks. I have had a Soapbar SE and a Gibby Melody Maker both of which had chunkier necks, and these increasingly got more play time live, though sometimes the sound didn't suit.

Then I got me a used Baja Tele. which became my workhorse as the necks on these are really nice and chunky.

Then last week, I took along my two SEs, the old Soapbar and my recently acquired, well used Tremonti. I have to say not only did they both work comfort wise for me, but I think the Baja may be taking a back seat for a while. Those wide-fat necks just seem to work better for these ageing hands, even more so than the Baja!!!

I have to say I do think there is a marginal difference betwen the Soapbar Singlecut which is a 2004 and the Tremonti which is a 2001. The Soapbar just feels a little more comfy, though I use the Tremonti more live as there is a fair amount of hum from the Soapbar.

I've got one with Wide/Fat, one with pattern thin and one with pattern regular. I dont have any problems switching between them but i do perfer the wide/fat.

Back