It's August 2016, and stock seems low in many places...

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I was browsing around today, in my fantasy land where I could buy another guitar on a whim, and noticed that all of the models I was "interested" in were out of stock at a typical go-to dealer (Sweetwater), and really not easy found anywhere else - yeah, a few on Reverb as new prices, but none at Guitar Center, or other obvious sites.

And I'm not talking Artist Package level guitars, just new-ish models like the 277 Semi-hollow, Holcomb SE, and the (not even new any more) P245 Semi-hollow.

Yeah, a few P245 SHs are available at the popular dealers found in the Dealers section of this forum. But I didn't find any 277s or Holcomb SEs. Yeah, the Holcomb SE is very new, and that might explain non-availability.

Are dealers allowing their stock to deplete in the anticipation of new 2017 model stock being released shortly? Or are PRSi just so popular now that they are simply hard to keep in stock?

Just curious - as I said, it was a fantasy-land trip, I have no budget for such things right now. Maybe next year.

The Holcomb SE is delayed. I have a bunch on order.

I don't know about the other models since they aren't what my buyers usually go for. I stick to the CU24 and CE for the most part.

Check Brian's Guitars out as he has an insane inventory of PRS.

I have found through my observations that summers are always slow at music stores. As fall comes inventory is cleared out to avoid end of year state inventory taxes in some states and not be stuck with last years models. A nasty problem Taylor guitars has of late. Every year now for four or five years they have either offered a new and improved model onlt to be followed by converting the whole line to the latest pickup system. Now that they done that, the new and improved 800 series from three years ago is now the old and outdated as next year they are making changes to it again. That cannot be cool for a dealers inventory. Heck, Reverb is advertising a sale of older N.O.S. Taylors right now. Summer just seems not to be the best time for dealers in my opinion.

It seems the SE Holcombs sold much better than anticipated -- the one I bought wouldn't come down in price at all, because they were getting all sorts of inquiries from them, and they knew it would sell, because there was plenty of interest everywhere.

Back when I got my P245SH (a year ago or so?), there weren't that many neither, so I was holding out for a good one and I ended up getting one that was not purple (but has a killer top, so not unhappy). They come in waves, is all.

Dusty? Not purple? Have space aliens invaded your body?
I sh...kid you not. I also have a Paul's Guitar in black gold, that's probably a keeper, too.

Also, what's wrong with space aliens? I'm into space aliens. So we're differen...er...they are different. Everybody wants to be loved...

Very observant points about dealer inventory.
While I just ordered my PS, and until I get it and try it out, I won't buy any other PRS guitars. I am, however, contemplating a Brent Mason next year, after getting my PS.

Right now, I am desiring a tele, yet again, as the many I had previously are all history at this point. I also just ordered a Kemper Remote, Matrix NL-12 cab and VB800 for use with my Kemper in live situations. Total weight of the Matrix cab and head is 20 pounds.

Locally, our GC has only 3-4 PRS SE's and one or two S2 Satins in stock, so I cannot even try out a specific PRS model, anyway, for which I am interested.

Why is it that Sweetwater is usually one of the last places to get product, which I see has already been delivered to smaller stores or big box chain stores?

Looks like Chris Robertson of Black Stone Cherry just dropped un-detailed news about an SE signature model they've done for him, so those will go on order now too I guess.

I think "summer lull" is the best way to describe it... PRS offer swag rebates in the UK every summer, this one being no exception. Clearing out the channel is the goal...

Nice observations, folks! Yeah, summer lull prior to Fall blowout (northern hemisphere bias) makes sense.

Guitar Centers in Massachusetts don't even stock Core models at all anymore.
It is true many GCs dropped Core stock. But in theory there is the on-line presence, as well as the associated Musician's Friend.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the 2017 catalog, and interested to see what colors are offered in a couple of SE models I'm tracking.

My nearest serious dealer, Righteous Guitars in Roswell, GA, has plenty of PRS stock, but they don't carry SE's:

IMG_20160804_111354521_zpsaltrwnmr.jpg

Tom

Why did they put an EXIT door? Who on Earth would ever wanna get out of that place?
In case of fire? Notice the fire extinguisher. Also, so you can get the guitars out more quickly due to their proximity.

PS I'd leave all the time. Just to eat and sleep and job and whatnot.

In case of fire? Notice the fire extinguisher. Also, so you can get the guitars out more quickly due to their proximity.

PS I'd leave all the time. Just to eat and sleep and job and whatnot.

Yeah, I guess fire can be easily caused there by melting hot credit cards that are swiped with too much excitement ...

My nearest serious dealer, Righteous Guitars in Roswell, GA, has plenty of PRS stock, but they don't carry SE's:

IMG_20160804_111354521_zpsaltrwnmr.jpg

Tom
And not a single P245 SH in stock, as it turns out. (According to their website.)

Maybe I just like weird / unpopular models.

Back