It's 2018: which PRS gets most of your attention?

100_3558_zps19cdbcea.jpg

This is my 94 Custom22 that is stamped as a B-stock.
This is my "burning-house-and-you-only-can-grab-one" guitar.

PS- Here's a bonus way too dark headstock shot.

IMG_0611.jpg

TREE!!!!
What a cool top! Looks like it was chiseled out of a slab of marble. Love the forum TRC!

The older ones, strangely.... I just bought a 2002 model and now I'm lovestruck by a '99 custom 24 for sale in fresh condition

The RL Vela gets a ton of love, as does the DGT, but 2001 CU24 was the only guitar at practice yesterday and I’m still jazzed! Every one of my PRSi do something unique and that’s why they all get played...core, S2, and SE.

what is up with the custom truss covers?!

As others have said, these TRC's go back to the ORIGINAL, nonaffiliated, PRS Forum. They were made by Ron Thorn back around 1999 or 2000. There were made with BRW, rosewood, maple, and ebony. I picked up my TRC's at one of the forum events held down in Stevensville, MD.
The original forum went on to morph into The Gear Page along side the late Birds and Moons.

neat, i did not know that about the gear page. anyway that is a groovy thing to make and i need to get a wood shop.

As others have said, these TRC's go back to the ORIGINAL, nonaffiliated, PRS Forum. They were made by Ron Thorn back around 1999 or 2000. There were made with BRW, rosewood, maple, and ebony. I picked up my TRC's at one of the forum events held down in Stevensville, MD.
The original forum went on to morph into The Gear Page along side the late Birds and Moons.

The one I keep picking up is still my '89 CE. There's something about the neck, it's not a wide thin but it is thin. Is that what the regular profile was back then? It's just so nice to play and sounds amazing:

IMG_0624.JPG
Really nice playing and tone!! I enjoyed it!! I like a nice clean jazzy sound.

I did note your comment about the neck. My favorite 1990 custom 24 has a wide thin neck but thinner as far as depth goes then any other PRS I’ve ever tried. I don’t know why but it seems to fit my hand perfectly. Someday I got to take some measurements and post them. Cheers

Easy call - I only have but one, a 594. Very small stable! Just a 594 and a strat means I don’t have to think too hard about options. I’m usually pretty clearly in a PRS mood or a strat mood... I can handle binary choices...

I'm with you Ray. I own two electrics, my 594 and a 2016 Gibson LP Standard Limited Edition Mahogany Top. It may be a small stable but it houses two American thoroughbreds that many less fortunate guitar players only get to dream about. I also have two very nice acoustic guitars that I play as much or more than my electrics so play time is split even more. Which one I grab is pretty much on a whim, I don't think about it I just reach for whichever one I feel like playing ATM. They are all special and fun in their own way.

Something went right tho, whenever I compare the guitars I bought with what's out there I find myself very satisfied with where I'm at. Take my 594 for instance, I've looked at hundreds of other PRS guitars in comparison since I bought it and haven't seen one I like more than what I already have. The same can be said for the other three. I'm not interested in "bigger, better, more" or any new flavor of the month when I'm more than satisfied with what I've got. I'm a very lucky man and know when to push my luck and when to just appreciate it :)

I'm with you Ray. I own two electrics, my 594 and a 2016 Gibson LP Standard Limited Edition Mahogany Top. It may be a small stable but it houses two American thoroughbreds that many less fortunate guitar players only get to dream about. I also have two very nice acoustic guitars that I play as much or more than my electrics so play time is split even more. Which one I grab is pretty much on a whim, I don't think about it I just reach for whichever one I feel like playing ATM. They are all special and fun in their own way.

Something went right tho, whenever I compare the guitars I bought with what's out there I find myself very satisfied with where I'm at. Take my 594 for instance, I've looked at hundreds of other PRS guitars in comparison since I bought it and haven't seen one I like more than what I already have. The same can be said for the other three. I'm not interested in "bigger, better, more" or any new flavor of the month when I'm more than satisfied with what I've got. I'm a very lucky man and know when to push my luck and when to just appreciate it :)
I hear you, but I have to confess I've sort of blown my paradigm a bit. Over the past month or so I've rediscovered P90s and realize I really love their sound. Have fooled around with the idea of converting one or both pickups in the 594 to humbucker sized drop in P90s but just recently picked up a really inexpensive used P90 telecaster. It's not in the same league as my other guitars and, yet, it is. Plays an awful lot like my strat but sounds quite different, obviously. I also have a nice acoustic (and one really cheap 'don't have to worry about taking care of it' acoustic), but I seem to play the electrics a lot more than the acoustic. I really kind of preferred having two electrics to three but I wasn't gonna go messing with the chemistry of the 594 by changing pickup types so I just figured the easiest and best way to take care of my P90 desires was a third electric. I've never had more than two before and spent a LOT of my life with one, so this is new ground for me. I'll see how it goes... I may adapt or I may go back to two at some point...

-Ray

I hear you, but I have to confess I've sort of blown my paradigm a bit. Over the past month or so I've rediscovered P90s and realize I really love their sound. Have fooled around with the idea of converting one or both pickups in the 594 to humbucker sized drop in P90s but just recently picked up a really inexpensive used P90 telecaster. It's not in the same league as my other guitars and, yet, it is. Plays an awful lot like my strat but sounds quite different, obviously. I also have a nice acoustic (and one really cheap 'don't have to worry about taking care of it' acoustic), but I seem to play the electrics a lot more than the acoustic. I really kind of preferred having two electrics to three but I wasn't gonna go messing with the chemistry of the 594 by changing pickup types so I just figured the easiest and best way to take care of my P90 desires was a third electric. I've never had more than two before and spent a LOT of my life with one, so this is new ground for me. I'll see how it goes... I may adapt or I may go back to two at some point...

-Ray

I'm always looking at guitars online even when I have no intention of buying. Occasionally I toy with the idea of getting an American strat or a nice classical guitar but it hasn't led to GAS. There's no burning desire atm, I'd be getting a strat just to have a strat or a classical just to have a classical. I've also thought about thinning the herd down to just two, but it would be too painful trying to decide which ones to let go of. My current herd is the perfect size for me, I'm not jonesing for more and I don't feel overly spoiled for having too many or guilty for not loving them enough. Adding to the herd is like buying a puppy, the purchase is just the beginning. You have to feed those guitars and they live on attention. Plus my stable is a two bedroom mansion so space isn't free... it has to be earned by the worthy :)

Even tho it's obvious, I should add that my opinion only applies to me and my situation. I'm not a pro musician or a collector, I'm just an older blue collar guy going thru manopause that stumbled upon a new hobby a year and a half ago. I enjoy the challenge of learning something new and the thrill of owning a really well made instrument pretty much equally. The only "work" my guitars have to do is feel and look good in my hands so it's easier to pick them up and harder to put them down :)

Well...
Could be honeymoon... could be just that good, and fun... but

The Silver Sky has sucked up maybe 90% of my play time since I brought it home.
Yeah, it really is that good!

That neck dude! Gets me every time...flamey neck goodness is just ridiculous!

I'm always looking at guitars online even when I have no intention of buying. Occasionally I toy with the idea of getting an American strat or a nice classical guitar but it hasn't led to GAS. There's no burning desire atm, I'd be getting a strat just to have a strat or a classical just to have a classical. I've also thought about thinning the herd down to just two, but it would be too painful trying to decide which ones to let go of. My current herd is the perfect size for me, I'm not jonesing for more and I don't feel overly spoiled for having too many or guilty for not loving them enough. Adding to the herd is like buying a puppy, the purchase is just the beginning. You have to feed those guitars and they live on attention. Plus my stable is a two bedroom mansion so space isn't free... it has to be earned by the worthy :)

Even tho it's obvious, I should add that my opinion only applies to me and my situation. I'm not a pro musician or a collector, I'm just an older blue collar guy going thru manopause that stumbled upon a new hobby a year and a half ago. I enjoy the challenge of learning something new and the thrill of owning a really well made instrument pretty much equally. The only "work" my guitars have to do is feel and look good in my hands so it's easier to pick them up and harder to put them down :)
I feel the way about Les Pauls that you do about strats. I feel like the 594 has that territory covered. Whereas the strat is a totally different playing and sounding guitar so a completely different voice (which the Silver Sky does a really nice version of if I was in the market for another). And I’ve been nominally a strat player for roughly 40 years, so it’s pretty much in my blood. I’m not new to it but it was ten years of playing a LOT followed by 30 of not playing much at all. And then a similar “manopause” has me playing a LOT again for the past year and a half so I’m way into it again these days, hopefully for the rest of the ride, but who knows? But all of my guitar stuff lives in my small office / man cave so each spot on my wall has to similarly be earned!

-Ray

Back