It would be cool if PRS made...

Proteus

Tru-Arc Bridgeworks
... something like a cross between the McCarty Thinline and the Santana.

Thin mahogany slab, probably McCarty 594 scale. (Though maybe 24.5 - is there enough difference in that less-than-a-tenth-of-an-inch to hear?) But in the Santana doublecut body which (don't tell anybody) owes a bit to the Les Paul Special doublecut - only looks a little more distinguished somehow. Maybe it's the sculpting that takes it upscale.

It has to come in vintage cherry (as well as other colors ... TV Yaller, anyone?), and the current twinning of gloss and satin versions in the S2 line would serve this concept well.

So pretty much the current McCarty Thinline - but in the Santana body. I know the homage to glorious mahogany slabs of the past would be obvious enough, but it would also be another authentic nod to Ted McC, who was there when those oh-so-rockin' mid-priced doublecuts were created.

Maybe it's the S2 McCarty Thinline Special...because it would be special.

And what if there was a P90 version?

[Warning: Danny is about to go on about Flying V's again.]

Once upon a time (not too long ago), I made a decision to become a Private Stock customer and selected the PRS Private Stock dealer I was going to go with in order to get my first ever PS guitar built just for me. Long story short, I told the dealer that I was willing to give PRS $14,000.00 if they would build me a PRS PS guitar with a Flying V body on it. The dealer made a call, asked the question, he got the answer, called me back. The answer was a hard NO, which my brain immediately interpreted as a F*** You! Not only am I still raw about it but I now have no intention of EVER buying a Private Stock guitar under any circumstances. I have since spent the $14,000.00 on a whole lot of other stuff, including guitars from other companies. Like for example this bad ass Heritage Custom Core H-150.

Heritage2021-H150-CustomCore-03.jpg

Once upon a time (not too long ago), I made a decision to become a Private Stock customer and selected the PRS Private Stock dealer I was going to go with in order to get my first ever PS guitar built just for me. Long story short, I told the dealer that I was willing to give PRS $14,000.00 if they would build me a PRS PS guitar with a Flying V body on it. The dealer made a call, asked the question, he got the answer, called me back. The answer was a hard NO, which my brain immediately interpreted as a F*** You! Not only am I still raw about it but I now have no intention of EVER buying a Private Stock guitar under any circumstances. I have since spent the $14,000.00 on a whole lot of other stuff, including guitars from other companies. Like for example this bad ass Heritage Custom Core H-150.

I'm with you bruh! Makes no sense unless there was some under the table agreement with G at some point? Sooo many other companies make them so wtf?

I'm with you bruh! Makes no sense unless there was some under the table agreement with G at some point? Sooo many other companies make them so wtf?
I can think of a few reasons why PRS would "just say no":

It would require a new CNC program, unless totally hand made. PRS isn't set up for 100% handmade since they opened up the S2 line (maybe even before) - they are way too busy doing other stuff. A CNC program (even for something as basic as a flying V shape) is not cheap to develop, and $14,000 would probably not even cover a significant portion. Unless/until they decide to make it a multiple-copy run, it just won't happen.

PRS traditionally does PS in whatever body styles are currently in production, or in recent production. I do not recall them ever doing a PS in a Fender Jaguar shape, for example. The one Tremonti "Explorer-ish" PS was a truly one-off for a signed artist. I suspect they would give the same answer if you asked for a telecaster-shaped PS.

A Flying V shape is "not very interesting" if it follows the traditional Gibson model: huge slab of Korina (or whatever) cut into a rounded V. Not part of the overall PRS aesthetic. And honestly I don't know what you could do to it to make it look "more PRSish".

Maybe Paul just really dislikes the shape of the Flying V, and doesn't want his name on it.

Maybe the shape of a Flying V makes it less interesting sonically, and we all know Paul is about extracting the best performance from a piece of wood, especially the PSs.

I can think of a few reasons why PRS would "just say no":

It would require a new CNC program, unless totally hand made. PRS isn't set up for 100% handmade since they opened up the S2 line (maybe even before) - they are way too busy doing other stuff. A CNC program (even for something as basic as a flying V shape) is not cheap to develop, and $14,000 would probably not even cover a significant portion. Unless/until they decide to make it a multiple-copy run, it just won't happen.

PRS traditionally does PS in whatever body styles are currently in production, or in recent production. I do not recall them ever doing a PS in a Fender Jaguar shape, for example. The one Tremonti "Explorer-ish" PS was a truly one-off for a signed artist. I suspect they would give the same answer if you asked for a telecaster-shaped PS.

A Flying V shape is "not very interesting" if it follows the traditional Gibson model: huge slab of Korina (or whatever) cut into a rounded V. Not part of the overall PRS aesthetic. And honestly I don't know what you could do to it to make it look "more PRSish".

Maybe Paul just really dislikes the shape of the Flying V, and doesn't want his name on it.

Maybe the shape of a Flying V makes it less interesting sonically, and we all know Paul is about extracting the best performance from a piece of wood, especially the PSs.

I think this is more likely the reason why you got a hard no @HANGAR18 .

Also besides not being a part of the PRS aesthetic, I think the legal ramifications is not something they would want to deal with for a one off guitar, especially with the current cases around the Flying V design going on now.

Private stock allows a lot of deviation and creative ideas from it's customers, but they have NEVER allowed for a complete new model (unless your an important endorser). If you think being turned down is a "**** you," then they have said the same thing to many customers. Compared to other manufacturers, their options under PS are fairly liberal. I've had guitars built by Gibson's made-to-measure program, and they are MUCH more restrictive with options than PS.

That was $14,000? You got ripped.

The answer is to get a PRS bolt on neck and find someone to make you a body. There would be nothing special about a PRS V body. It’s slab of wood. Find your preferred humbuckers, PRS or not, buy some PRS tuners, a Mann bridge and bum’s yer uncle a PRS V.

This would also cost much less than $14K.

Also, in my mindseye concept, there's no pickguard, making an appropriate PRS statement and setting it apart from original Specials. And for some reason (probably that my first name-brand electric was a stripped 60s Melody Maker with tung oil over bare wood, and my current LP Special is the "faded" cherry in matte finish), I get a bigger jolt from a satiny rawer finish on the configuration than from high gloss.

But I'll do some more investigatin' into the Mira 245. Looks like, as with most of my bright ideas, multiple someones had the same notion long ago, and got it 90% of the way toward my vision.

Because, the neck & headstock is the most important art of the instrument and I want that part of the V to be the same specs as a McCarty 594. Only PRS does that.

As for the body shape, PRSh is always going on about the guitar primarily being a tool for the player and trying to make the guitar become the best tool possible so that the player can get the job of playing done most effectively. I personally find it to be a HUGE struggle to play ANY guitar which isn't a V because (imho) the V design is the most ergonomic design anyone has ever made. It is the ONLY design which doesn't interfere with my beer gut, can be played comfortably standing up, sitting down, it looks really cool on stage... it's just a GREAT design and for me, I would consider it to be the right tool for the job. But, moot point because I don't care anymore. I don't even know why I like guitars in the first place.

Back