It seems whatever Hans had, it's contagious...

What else is missing is the push-pull tone pot which will activate the bridge pickup. This will allow for all pickup combos, by adding in neck/bridge and neck/middle/bridge. I worked out how many different combinations this is and it's ridiculous.

So will a push/pull fit without additional routing to make the cavity deeper? I've often wondered about adding that to my Brent Mason for the neck/bridge combination.

So will a push/pull fit without additional routing to make the cavity deeper? I've often wondered about adding that to my Brent Mason for the neck/bridge combination.
I'm not sure, I'm just letting Shawn/Skitchy run with this one. I trust the PTC to make it useable yet not compromise structural integrity.

The DC3 is a different route to the BM, but I would assume the control cavity depth is similar. Hopefully we get a shot of the guitar just prior to the pickguard being fitted. If there is additional routing, it shouldn't be too much.

Your other option is to put in a CU22 Soapy style switch, where the middle position selects neck/bridge instead of the middle PU.

I'm not sure, I'm just letting Shawn/Skitchy run with this one. I trust the PTC to make it useable yet not compromise structural integrity.

The DC3 is a different route to the BM, but I would assume the control cavity depth is similar. Hopefully we get a shot of the guitar just prior to the pickguard being fitted. If there is additional routing, it shouldn't be too much.

Your other option is to put in a CU22 Soapy style switch, where the middle position selects neck/bridge instead of the middle PU.

Yeah, I've thought about putting a super 5 way switch in there or even adding another mini switch. As long as I could still get the 2 and 4 positions, I wouldn't miss the middle pickup by itself.

The 5-way would be the neatest solution, I'd pop the hood to make sure there's nothing crazy going on with the way 408s are wired.

You'd may need additional routing for the 3rd mini, there doesn't look like there'd be room for another between them and the 5-way, so you'd need to go under the volume (as per the template in my above pic).

One last thing, do it! :)

Just in case you missed it, the pickups are in! Just a couple of setup tweaks before she can begin the journey down under

9402560089_12d20649bb_b.jpg

OMG! I'm so sorry, but I'm going to have to beg for your permission to copy this...when I get a Mason. I love this. Very cool.
Dude, just do it, I have no copyright on this bad boy!

I dare say it would be an easier conversion for a BM, although you'll still need a new pick guard since the middle 305 pickup is a lot wider than the 408. At least the PTC will have the cut file for the CNC!

Do the push-pull mod too, this will give you 26 unique pickup combinations (yes, 26!). I'm assuming you can guess what this guitar is going to be called, The 626!

WOw, that's some crazy ass and beautiful modding there.

Great work guys!

I'm curious whether Shawn and the PTC team have had many crazy customer ideas that they've not been able to do.... (for another thread I would say).

You are awesome. This guitar is awesome. PTC is awesome. So much awesome. :top:

Thanks dudes! One of the first things I'll be doing is measuring the size of the narrow 408 vs a P90, I'm wondering about a CU22 Soapy conversion now!

As a consolation prize to Bob, I promise to do a demo of this one, maybe not all 26 tones, but yeah, I promise!

Back