It costs a lot more now to gig in Canada

SwitchStance

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entert...musicians+threaten+smaller/8842759/story.html

"The regulations require that any venue with a primary business other than music but which also books bands or performers must now pay an application fee of $275 per musician and those travelling with the band (tour manager, sound person, guitar tech, etc.) when it applies for a Labour Market Opinion, or LMO, to allow those outside workers to perform and work in their establishment. That’s also in addition to an extra $150 for each approved musician and crew member’s work permit.
Prior to the changes, the fee was simply $150 per band member, maxing out at $450, and that was a one-time fee for them to simply enter the country, which allowed venue owners across Canada to share the nominal cost or book them separately at no extra charge."

Very sad news .. Whats really sad is that it only affects the little guy .. and the people that want to see international bands that cant fill stadiums.
Also, the fee's are none-refundable if you are declined.

Man, I could let loose a political tirade on this - but I can't - per the forum rules.

So, I'll just say, "That's totally F**&$%%@*#%$&ED up."

Canada has worked hard, for years, to promote Canadian-born entertainers over international entertainers. This is just another step in that direction.

I was hesitent to post this because I am personally not political and I know it can get heated on forums .. but this does tie in closely to the music business and we are all musicians.

There are a lot of international bands that I would love to see .. but it's a lot harder.
We have local metal festivals in which we bring bands from all around the world, unfortunetly these events are at hotels or bars.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;97027 said:
Canada has worked hard, for years, to promote Canadian-born entertainers over international entertainers. This is just another step in that direction.
You can see the same effect on Netflix Canada.

Am I correct in that Australia has been doing this for years? I remember a smaller band I like went to tour there and could only play 4 shows maximum because of the regulations for international musicians.

I am Canadian and honestly I think it's yet another big money grab by the federal government . Some Canadian acts should just stay home IMO ...blue rodeo (who screw over their rodeos by not paying them ) .

I love to see international acts come in more.....

Am I correct in that Australia has been doing this for years? I remember a smaller band I like went to tour there and could only play 4 shows maximum because of the regulations for international musicians.
I've never heard of this, and plenty of bands play many more than 4 shows per tour. Kaki King did 14 earlier this year (but not to where I live damnit)

I was in a road band back in the day and getting into canada was a PITA. They went through our bus, equipment and all personal belongings. Our sound guy had an arrest record a mile long and that made a bad situation even worse.

I was in a road band back in the day and getting into canada was a PITA. They went through our bus, equipment and all personal belongings. Our sound guy had an arrest record a mile long and that made a bad situation even worse.

Not band-related, but...

Some years ago, my buddy used to go fishing in Canada every year with his father, grandfather and younger brother. One year younger brother was driving as they crossed the border with the older gents nodding off. YB pulls up to the customs agent, who goes through the usual routine and asks "Any firearms or explosives?" YB says, "Whatcha looking for?" "Please pull over here, sir." When he turned the car off, Dad woke up, saw where they were, and said, "Oh god, what the hell did you say?"

Trying living in the same hometown as beiber. I worked with his grandfather, chased his woman beating father down the street and told Justin's mother off on several occasions lol

A seven year old kid went up to him at our river. Justin turned to the kid and said 'get the f... away from me " broke the kids heart.

Justin also went to our mayor and asked for the citizen's of Stratford to leave him alone.

If you are a true musician then thats what you sign up for, fame and fortune. If you deserve that then be appreciative of your fans because they are paying your wages.

Mr Beiber is unappreaciative of what was given to him and should be banned from the music business. Thats my two cents

Trying living in the same hometown as beiber. I worked with his grandfather, chased his woman beating father down the street and told Justin's mother off on several occasions lol

A seven year old kid went up to him at our river. Justin turned to the kid and said 'get the f... away from me " broke the kids heart.

Justin also went to our mayor and asked for the citizen's of Stratford to leave him alone.

If you are a true musician then thats what you sign up for, fame and fortune. If you deserve that then be appreciative of your fans because they are paying your wages.

Mr Beiber is unappreaciative of what was given to him and should be banned from the music business. Thats my two cents

Wow. I can't think of anyone who's more the opposite of everything I would want to be as a famous artist.

It says "venue with a primary business other than music". What is that? A bowling bar? Or any music club that makes more money selling drinks than selling tickets? (which is perhaps every medium-sized club)

Good - more US tour dates for us! Canada has also been extremely difficult when taxing merchandise, which is a very big blow to anyone touring Canada and playing anything less than a stadium. That's where their money is, their meal ticket.

It says "venue with a primary business other than music". What is that? A bowling bar? Or any music club that makes more money selling drinks than selling tickets? (which is perhaps every medium-sized club)

Hey Albrecht,

It refers to all places that are restaurants or bars. So concert halls and stadiums (the irony of which is touched on in the article) are exempt from these fees, as they are there purely for the purpose of spreading music, regardless of the nationality of the performers. For all of the bars and restaurants who have bands in, the law is there to encourage them to hire Canadian acts. It's another example of the protectionism of Canadian culture that is insitutionalized here. It is a little strange though to see the fence getting thicker for live performance artists, when the other legislation and policies that do this for things like radio play are being relaxed.

Back